Can ping, but no internet connection

I have the following network configuration:

In the living room : cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54GS wireless
router (192.168.1.5). Connected wirelessly to the WRT54GS is a laptop
(192.168.1.102).

In the office: A Linksys BEFSR41 wired router (192.168.1.1) with a Linksys
WET54G wireless bridge (192.168.1.103). Connected to the BEFSR41 via
ethernet cable are a desktop (192.168.1.100) and a laptop (192.168.1.101).

My goal is to access the internet connection in the living room from the
desktop and laptop in the office. I can access all configuration utilities
from the desktop, as well as ping all IP adresses from the desktop, so this
tells me the WET54G and WRT54GS are successfully bridging. However, I cannot
access the internet from the desktop. Any ideas?

Thanks for any information you can send my way!

Mark Rhodes
5 answers Last reply
More about ping internet connection

    Problem is in the office router. The router should have its default
    gateway as the Wireless router 192.168.0.5

    If you are using static addresses for the desktop and laptop make
    there default gateway the IP of the wireless router 192.168.0.5 If you
    are using DHCP make sure that only the Wireless router is providing
    dhcp addresses.

    "Mark Rhodes" <all_good_people@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<_4QPc.102697$bp1.17440@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...
    > I have the following network configuration:
    >
    > In the living room : cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54GS wireless
    > router (192.168.1.5). Connected wirelessly to the WRT54GS is a laptop
    > (192.168.1.102).
    >
    > In the office: A Linksys BEFSR41 wired router (192.168.1.1) with a Linksys
    > WET54G wireless bridge (192.168.1.103). Connected to the BEFSR41 via
    > ethernet cable are a desktop (192.168.1.100) and a laptop (192.168.1.101).
    >
    > My goal is to access the internet connection in the living room from the
    > desktop and laptop in the office. I can access all configuration utilities
    > from the desktop, as well as ping all IP adresses from the desktop, so this
    > tells me the WET54G and WRT54GS are successfully bridging. However, I cannot
    > access the internet from the desktop. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any information you can send my way!
    >
    > Mark Rhodes

    What IP are you using as the Gateway? should be the router 192.168.1.1

    Are you using XP? Are you using any firewall software - try without.

    Try tracert www.bbc.co.uk at a command prompt - how far are you getting?

    Guy

    Mark Rhodes wrote:
    > I have the following network configuration:
    >
    > In the living room : cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54GS
    > wireless router (192.168.1.5). Connected wirelessly to the WRT54GS
    > is a laptop (192.168.1.102).
    >
    > In the office: A Linksys BEFSR41 wired router (192.168.1.1) with a
    > Linksys WET54G wireless bridge (192.168.1.103). Connected to the
    > BEFSR41 via ethernet cable are a desktop (192.168.1.100) and a laptop
    > (192.168.1.101).
    >
    > My goal is to access the internet connection in the living room from
    > the desktop and laptop in the office. I can access all configuration
    > utilities from the desktop, as well as ping all IP adresses from the
    > desktop, so this tells me the WET54G and WRT54GS are successfully
    > bridging. However, I cannot access the internet from the desktop.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any information you can send my way!
    >
    > Mark Rhodes

    I currently have both the WRT54GS and the BEFSR41 set as gateways. I tried
    setting the WRT54GS as router, and lost all internet connections.

    I tried original settings without the firewall on, and again, no go, so that
    doesn't seem to be the answer.

    When i try the tracert i get the message "unable to resolve the target
    system name www.bbc.co.uk"

    Hope that's helpful! Thanks for the reply!
    Mark

    > I currently have both the WRT54GS and the BEFSR41 set as gateways. I
    tried
    > setting the WRT54GS as router, and lost all internet connections.
    >
    > I tried original settings without the firewall on, and again, no go, so
    that
    > doesn't seem to be the answer.
    >
    > When i try the tracert i get the message "unable to resolve the target
    > system name www.bbc.co.uk"
    >
    > Hope that's helpful! Thanks for the reply!
    > Mark
    >

    > "Bigguy" <gtittley@NO.SPAM.blueyonder.REMOVE.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > What IP are you using as the Gateway? should be the router 192.168.1.1
    > >
    > > Are you using XP? Are you using any firewall software - try without.
    > >
    > > Try tracert www.bbc.co.uk at a command prompt - how far are you
    > getting?
    > >
    > > Guy
    > >
    > > Mark Rhodes wrote:
    > > > I have the following network configuration:
    > > >
    > > > In the living room : cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54GS
    > > > wireless router (192.168.1.5). Connected wirelessly to the WRT54GS
    > > > is a laptop (192.168.1.102).
    > > >
    > > > In the office: A Linksys BEFSR41 wired router (192.168.1.1) with a
    > > > Linksys WET54G wireless bridge (192.168.1.103). Connected to the
    > > > BEFSR41 via ethernet cable are a desktop (192.168.1.100) and a laptop
    > > > (192.168.1.101).
    > > >
    > > > My goal is to access the internet connection in the living room from
    > > > the desktop and laptop in the office. I can access all configuration
    > > > utilities from the desktop, as well as ping all IP adresses from the
    > > > desktop, so this tells me the WET54G and WRT54GS are successfully
    > > > bridging. However, I cannot access the internet from the desktop.
    > > > Any ideas?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any information you can send my way!
    > > >
    > > > Mark Rhodes

    From a command prompt run "ipconfig /all" without the quotes of course and
    see what it's seeing as the gateway. That will help you find where or
    whether it's getting DNS too which sounds like the problem.
    Also try pinging www.yahoo.com and also 66.94.230.46 too. That will allow
    you to test to see if the computer just isn't getting DNS. BTW that is
    Yahoo's IP address.
    AG

    Well, I got it working, but ran into a new problem, which I also fixed. Just
    following up for anyone who is reading this thread and wants to know what I
    did.

    I tried a couple different things, including setting two different subnets
    (which completely broke the network, BTW. lost the ability to ping.) I
    changed various settings in the routers, and when those changes didn't work,
    set the routers back to their original configuration.

    Eventually I changed the desktop IP to obtain an IP automatically and
    voila!! Internet connection worked. I then did the same with the laptop
    connected to the BEFSR41 and it also could access the internet. Double
    checked that I could access each computer from the other, also good.

    However, I have an OfficeJet G85 multifunction running off an ethernet print
    server, also connected to the BEFSR41. This stopped functioning once the
    computers were set to obtain their IP automatically. Did a little reading at
    the HP site, installed IPX/SPX, and did an uninstall/reinstall of the
    printer, and it worked as well.

    So, all in all, a successful day! Thanks everyone for your help, your
    insight, and your quick replies!! Your ideas got me thinking, which is
    usually what we all need anyway when troubleshooting. Thanks again!

    Mark

    "Mark Rhodes" <all_good_people@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I have the following network configuration:
    >
    > In the living room : cable modem connected to a Linksys WRT54GS wireless
    > router (192.168.1.5). Connected wirelessly to the WRT54GS is a laptop
    > (192.168.1.102).
    >
    > In the office: A Linksys BEFSR41 wired router (192.168.1.1) with a Linksys
    > WET54G wireless bridge (192.168.1.103). Connected to the BEFSR41 via
    > ethernet cable are a desktop (192.168.1.100) and a laptop (192.168.1.101).
    >
    > My goal is to access the internet connection in the living room from the
    > desktop and laptop in the office. I can access all configuration
    utilities
    > from the desktop, as well as ping all IP adresses from the desktop, so
    this
    > tells me the WET54G and WRT54GS are successfully bridging. However, I
    cannot
    > access the internet from the desktop. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks for any information you can send my way!
    >
    > Mark Rhodes

Desktops Internet Connection Wireless Networking