Sign in with
Your question

The Best of Star Wars Games, Part 1

Last response: in Video Games
May 21, 2007 4:13:59 PM

Star Wars turns 30 this week. To celebrate the anniversary of the first film and the birth of the franchise, TwitchGuru looks back on more than two decades of Star Wars games.

More about : star wars games part

May 21, 2007 5:08:04 PM

I don't believe you guys left TIE FIGHTER out of the list. Being able to work for the empire and even command Vader in some levels (although he usually didn't accept orders) was great, not to mentioning becoming a high member of the Secret Order of the Emperor.

Great times, were those.
May 21, 2007 5:09:31 PM

TIE Fighter is coming, don't worry. Remember, this is just PART 1 of the list.
Related resources
May 21, 2007 6:41:25 PM

Ahh, good stuff.

Looking forward to the continuation.
May 21, 2007 6:59:47 PM

Quote:
TIE Fighter is coming, don't worry. Remember, this is just PART 1 of the list.

:D  :D 

TIE Fighter rulez!!
May 21, 2007 7:27:36 PM

I miss playing X-wing and TIE fighter everyday. I gotta get them loaded back up! Or better yet, LUCASARTS make a damn update with good multiplayer support and vehicle customization! NOW! lol.
May 21, 2007 7:28:01 PM

I miss playing X-wing and TIE fighter everyday. I gotta get them loaded back up! Or better yet, LUCASARTS make a damn update with good multiplayer support and vehicle customization! NOW! lol.
May 21, 2007 8:14:36 PM

Quote:
Star Wars turns 30 this week. To celebrate the anniversary of the first film and the birth of the franchise, TwitchGuru looks back on more than two decades of Star Wars games.

Is there any particular reason you've chosen to describe these games, rather than using screen captures?
May 21, 2007 8:39:37 PM

I don't get what the problem was with Star Wars: Rebellion. Sure, it wasn't all that it could have been and had little in the way of micro-management of your units, but , what other Star Wars game could let you send in 60 SSD's out on raiding missions and build 5 death stars?

I loved that game and spent countless hours with it, despite all the hatred many had/have for it.
May 21, 2007 9:18:58 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed the article, but if you're going to take the time to list the actors responsible for the voices in the 1983 Atari game, please spell them correctly. It's Sir Alec Guinness, not Alex Guinness, who portrayed Obi-Wan Kenobi.
May 21, 2007 10:45:54 PM

Fave was Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast
Still play occassionally, and still just LOVE throwing Stormtroopers around, and stealing their guns, and watching them run around like headless chickens when they don't have a gun in their hand.
May 22, 2007 5:24:19 AM

KOTOR and JK: I and II, and TIE Fighter. KOTOR II was okay, but there was something about it that just didn't mesh with me. I didn't hate it, and I did enjoy it, but maybe it was the fact that BioWare wasn't involved (after KOTOR I) that made me feel different about it. Man, now I want to find my disks and play them again. LOL :lol: 

The Lego Star Wars II was pretty fun too.
May 22, 2007 8:28:26 PM

Quote:
I don't believe you guys left TIE FIGHTER out of the list. Being able to work for the empire and even command Vader in some levels (although he usually didn't accept orders) was great, not to mentioning becoming a high member of the Secret Order of the Emperor.

Great times, were those.

Seriously, Tie Fighter was the first PC Star Wars game I ever played and to this day it remains my favorite. How could you miss this one???
May 22, 2007 8:47:01 PM

Quote:
Seriously, Tie Fighter was the first PC Star Wars game I ever played and to this day it remains my favorite. How could you miss this one???

See the above post tat the beginning of the discussion thread. I repeat: TIE Fighter is coming in PART 2. Settle down, TIE pilots.
May 22, 2007 9:55:54 PM

Quote:
Is there any particular reason you've chosen to describe these games, rather than using screen captures?

I was thinking the same thing. Box art is nice, but I'd like to see at least one screenshot for each.

Great job so far. I loved playing Star Wars: The Arcade Game on our Amiga. And so did my parents. I hold only one spot in the Top 10 scoreboard. My brother holds two spots. The top five and remaining spots are still my Mom and Dad, over a decade later. It may have helped that the game killed our left mouse button. :lol: 
May 22, 2007 10:06:59 PM

Quote:
benjamin wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Box art is nice, but I'd like to see at least one screenshot for each.

Guys, are you serious? Did you not see the small teaser image and text link that says "View Star Wars Slide Show" right after the first graph of the story?

If you did miss it (which probably means you've missed every other image gallery I've put together) then here's the link:
http://www.twitchguru.com/picturegalleries/gallery-2007...

Slideshow links are usually found after the first or second graphs of a story, with a small teaser image. Just sayin', be on the look out.

Asalam alakim, Brother VB.
May 22, 2007 10:13:35 PM

Decent article, all of my faves must be coming in the second part: KOTORs and TIE Fighters included.
May 23, 2007 12:14:29 AM

Think my favorites are jedi knight and knights of the old republic. However the engines for jedi knight 2 and kotor 2 were considerable improvements, if only they remade the originals in the new engines.
May 23, 2007 2:53:56 AM

:oops: 

Sorry, I did miss that. Yes, I have checked those in the past. In many articles in fact. And it's not even Monday. :?

Still, I would have liked to have seen screenshots in the article, not attached to it. I don't always have the extra time to go through the galleries, and when I do click the link it's usually because an image I saw in the article made me curious.

It was just a friendly suggestion.

Quote:
Asalam alakim, Brother VB.

:lol:  :wink:

The avatar change was supposed to be a two-day practical joke among a few friends that somehow turned into a Forumz-wide tribute to DaSickNinja. :?

I don't take my image that seriously. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to make a change...
May 23, 2007 2:39:30 PM

Quote:
Still, I would have liked to have seen screenshots in the article, not attached to it. I don't always have the extra time to go through the galleries, and when I do click the link it's usually because an image I saw in the article made me curious.

Seconded... slideshows are sometimes nice if it's after you read the article and you sorta want to go through and do a visual recap, take a look at all the stuff now that you know what it all is, but I'm a big fan of having the images presented as the stuff is being described, even as just thumbnails linking to the full size picture.

Just played Jedi Academy the past few days and I realized how totally awesome JK2 was. Seriously, tossing people around with force powers, taking off limbs with lightsabers, and fighting dark Jedi? Much fun. If you take away the force powers it's still an incredibly well done FPS, too.
May 23, 2007 3:47:28 PM

Where is Tie Fighter? Wasn't it released before some of those other games?

Tie Fighter and Jedi Knight II are the best. Starwars battleground is also really fun multiplayer.

I really wish they would have a massive online Tie Fighter 2...
May 23, 2007 8:04:58 PM

TIE FIGHTER is the best game of all time according to me.
May 24, 2007 12:33:24 AM

I remember the Star Wars arcade games from my Childhood - ESB was okay and the side scrolling RoJ was pretty poor, but the ANH arcade game was superb. "Red 5 standing by!". The amount of money I spent on that machine. The cabinet was great. I've played it in Mame and it's still very addictive.

PC-wise, X-Wing Collectors CD and X-Wing vs. TIE / Balance of Power were (for me anyway) fantastic games. X-Wing vs TIE was the first game that I can remember community downloadable content for as there were various fansites that you could download new campaigns from.

Whilst in some ways XvT was a big step up from the original X-Wing, what always let it down slightly for me was the music - no not the quality of it, as it superb sounded CD audio in XvT, but because the music was CDA it just scrolled through the same tracks all the time (the menu music was very good though) whereas the original X-Wing used iMuse and the music would change depending on what was happening (e.g. certain events, such as friendly ships arriving, friendly capital ships arriving, enemy fighters arriving, Star Destroyers arriving, ships being blown up, etc. etc.) and this seemed pretty atmospheric.

For ages I've hoped that Lucasarts would release an updated XvT game, with state of the art graphics, and a combination of the iMuse music system from X-Wing with enviormental music and the high quality 44Khz music from XvT. A next gen non-linear Star Wars space combat simulator would be great.

I'm quite sure that NeverWinter Wars - I mean, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, will be on Part 2 of this article. I loved playing through KoToR, and am looking forward to playing the Team Gizka patched KoToR2 when they've finished their work, but to me there was something about KoToR which made me think "this is just a Star Wars add-on for Never Winter Nights!".
May 24, 2007 6:23:58 PM

Rob that was an excellent article and I'm looking forward to the 2nd half. Have you heard any talk baout Lucasarts updating some of these great games - especially the x-wing series?
May 24, 2007 7:47:25 PM

Quote:
Rob that was an excellent article and I'm looking forward to the 2nd half. Have you heard any talk baout Lucasarts updating some of these great games - especially the x-wing series?

It was our pleasure, thanks for reading it. Part 2 should be online tomorrow morning, barring any Web site disasters with the new design.

As for new Star Wars games coming out in the near future, we've got a piece scheduled for next week. Stay tuned...
May 24, 2007 9:25:04 PM

Quote:
...the new design.

What was that?!

*visits TwitchGuru*

:o  :)  :D  :trophy:

I can read it! And it's organized the same as everything else! And it has the Forumz ticker!

*sings*

"Have I told...you lately...that I love you?"

In all seriousness, thank you so much for changing it. Thank you very, very much. It looks great. My eyes don't hurt after reading it and I can find my way around. I'll actually visit the main page now. :) 
May 24, 2007 10:56:55 PM

I like the colors of the old one, but the information is better presented now.
May 24, 2007 11:06:45 PM

I liked the colors, too. It has its own unique look compared to the other TG sites. The only problem was I got 1,000 e-mails from people saying their eyes were bleeding after reading one page of text because of the white/black background scheme. Hence, we went with a similar template to the new THG design.

And I know it doesn't say it anywhere on the site, but this version is a working beta so if you have any suggestions or comments, let me know.
May 24, 2007 11:21:11 PM

I hear you, I do a bit of web design at work (normally I just do back end coding, but occasionally I have to lower myself to html, javascript, ajax and the like). You guys could have kept the menus and headers in the old style and just had the main text of the articles changed. Either way, the top 5 article thingy at the top kind of sticks out now cause it still uses the old colors. Also, the menu on the left reminds me of those pages where a company is just squatting on a URL and they have links to other pages.

Like this one:

example

The only other thing I notice is that your ad between the news and forum ticker on the right should be the same width as the news and forum boxes.
May 25, 2007 4:30:17 PM

Quote:

I contacted Lucasarts about X-Wing for another article I'm writing and they said nothing was in the works. Sad...

Part 2 is up now as well.

http://www.twitchguru.com/2007/05/25/a_history_of_star_...
May 25, 2007 7:16:26 PM

I contacted Lucasarts about X-Wing for another article I'm writing and they said nothing was in the works. Sad...

Sad indeed. I think it's their best franchise. What could be better than flying your x-wing along the hull of a super stardestroyer while getting a missile lock on it's shield generators!
!