Cannot ping via wireless - Netgear DG834G + WG111

Jambo

Distinguished
May 17, 2003

I've just bought a Netgear DG834G adsl router + WG111 adapter and I'm having
a bit of a problem. I've setup the router via ethernet cable, and I've
installed the adapter drivers. I've scanned for the network, it appeared, I
connect to it, and the signal strength is excellent. However, when I remove
the ethernet cable from my PC to rely solely on wireless I cannot even ping
the router, let alone access the admin tools.

When I check my IP address with wires, everything is as expected
(192.168.0.2), however with just wireless, it's even not assigning my IP
address correctly.

I've tried this with and without WEP security turned on, but the same thing
happens. I must be overlooking something obvious - any ideas? This is
driving me nuts. Apologies for my lack of techie abilities.

"Jambo" <jambo@spam.com> wrote in message
> I've just bought a Netgear DG834G adsl router + WG111 adapter and I'm
having
> a bit of a problem. I've setup the router via ethernet cable, and I've
> installed the adapter drivers. I've scanned for the network, it appeared,
> connect to it, and the signal strength is excellent. However, when I
remove
> the ethernet cable from my PC to rely solely on wireless I cannot even
ping
> the router, let alone access the admin tools.
>
> When I check my IP address with wires, everything is as expected
> (192.168.0.2), however with just wireless, it's even not assigning my IP
> address correctly.
>
> I've tried this with and without WEP security turned on, but the same
thing
> happens. I must be overlooking something obvious - any ideas? This is
> driving me nuts. Apologies for my lack of techie abilities.

There is a program included in the download at this link called Scantool.
Install and run it. It will tell if your computer is detecting the AP
wirelessly.

http://www.proxim.com/support/all/orinoco/software/dl2002_orinoco_ap2000_20.html

AG

Jambo

Distinguished
May 17, 2003

"Jambo" <jambo@spam.com> wrote......

> I've just bought a Netgear DG834G adsl router + WG111 adapter and I'm
having
> a bit of a problem. I've setup the router via ethernet cable, and I've
> installed the adapter drivers. I've scanned for the network, it appeared,
> connect to it, and the signal strength is excellent. However, when I
remove
> the ethernet cable from my PC to rely solely on wireless I cannot even
ping
> the router, let alone access the admin tools.
>
> When I check my IP address with wires, everything is as expected
> (192.168.0.2), however with just wireless, it's even not assigning my IP
> address correctly.
>
> I've tried this with and without WEP security turned on, but the same
thing
> happens. I must be overlooking something obvious - any ideas? This is
> driving me nuts. Apologies for my lack of techie abilities.

I forgot to mention that a friend of mine has successfully connected to my
router with their own laptop/wireless card so I'm pretty sure the problem
lies in my setup abilities of the WG111/windows xp...

If you've installed the Netgear Wireless utility and also have Windows
XP enabled to control your wireless device, you will have issues.
Disable the WZC utility and use the one from Netgear. Now for the
basics: Check to make sure the SSID and Channel are exactly the same.
Make sure that you're in INFRASTURCTURE MODE instead of ADHOC unless
necessary. Finally, check the Device Manager and see if your WG111 is
visible and doesn't show any errors. Anyway, I hope these suggestions
help.

"AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote.....

> There is a program included in the download at this link called Scantool.
> Install and run it. It will tell if your computer is detecting the AP
> wirelessly.

Thanks - I'm currently on dial-up so 70Mb will take quite a while. In the
meantime, if you have any ideas for me to try...

> "AG" <atenor@email.com> wrote.....
>
> > There is a program included in the download at this link called
Scantool.
> > Install and run it. It will tell if your computer is detecting the AP
> > wirelessly.
>
> Thanks - I'm currently on dial-up so 70Mb will take quite a while. In the
> meantime, if you have any ideas for me to try...

I can put the program alone on my web site. Send me an email to the
email.com address and I'll send you a link. It's no big deal but I don't
want the entire world looking for that file on my personal site. I do have
bandwidth limitations and I'm the SysAdmin so I must be responsible. :)
AG

sorry, i've just posted a similar plea further up.

it must be the wg111, cos again, i'm connecting no problem cabled, or other
wifi card,
but the wg111 is dropping.
it seems to connect for 5 secs then cut off.
I've disabled wireless zero config,
checked SSID etc
have switched off WEP

is this a very new product?
there are no updates on the netgear site, and practically no support.
It's install seemed strange,
and the 'smart wizard', as you can imagine from the title
is neither clever, nor does magic, in fact it never works from the desktop
icon, nor indeed running the .exe
i only get the wizard utility when i shove in the wg111!

anything would be appreciated,

even humorous abuse,

thanks

ian cairns