Preparing for SC2 - How do I break out of my turtle shell?

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I must confess, I'm that RTS guy who likes to build strong defenses... build up tech... a pile of resources... AND ONLY THEN build my massive army (for an all at once onslaught).

I think I developed this strategy due to playing the AI (watching it waste resources attacking with too few units periodically).

Any advice for playing with a little less conservatism - without the noob rushes.

I'm going back to SC... after years off.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I can't help you I am afraid. I too am a Turtle.

I carefully plan out my defensive structure to cover the maximum protection from all angles and good detection coverage with ghost blicking at the ready.

Its just the way I like to play.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
So you will all get owned, good luck muhahahahaha... while I expand to take the map you will turtle in your main until you are all out of minerals, then comes your fleet of BCs vs my armada of devourers, mutas and guardians! No turtle can survive the fury of the swarm!

Rush, diversions, ASSAULT!

In Command & Conquer and Supcom, I turtle, but in SC (unless you play those crappy zero clutter and BGH maps) I don't turtle so much. Too much playing maps like killing fields when I first started.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
So you will all get owned, good luck muhahahahaha... while I expand to take the map you will turtle in your main until you are all out of minerals, then comes your fleet of BCs vs my armada of devourers, mutas and guardians! No turtle can survive the fury of the swarm!

Rush, diversions, ASSAULT!

In Command & Conquer and Supcom, I turtle, but in SC (unless you play those crappy zero clutter and BGH maps) I don't turtle so much. Too much playing maps like killing fields when I first started.

Yes, against humans turtles will get owned. Hence my post... any advice?

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Last night I went and bought the Starcraft Battlechest (I had lost my old copies)...

DANG it felt good to be back in the saddle. Why did I ever stray??? :lol:

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Last night I bought WoW (yeah I know.. i played it 2 weeks when it first came out - after playing guild wars for 2 years, I decided to give it another go, damn WoW is so unintuitive). I told the employee there, the only reason i'm not playing Starcraft was because it keeps crashing in XP on my computer! (before you suggest it, I did try compatibility mode, and searched for weeks).

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
yeah turtling almost never works against human players because its easier to take down 1 big base down than bases spread all over the map. those with more bases usually have a higher flow of income and therefore can outproduce u unitwise. you probably could theoretically fill ur population full of bc's but capital ships are almost useless against the zerg. a. scourges b. devourers and mutalisks can take down bc's real quick. turtling imo is only really effective in user made maps where the main base has an almost infinite amount of resources. i usually use terrans and use a form of a moving siege tank line with wraiths and valkyries for air support. too bad that combo won't be effective anymore against those new protoss units.

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
yeah turtling almost never works against human players because its easier to take down 1 big base down than bases spread all over the map. those with more bases usually have a higher flow of income and therefore can outproduce u unitwise. you probably could theoretically fill ur population full of bc's but capital ships are almost useless against the zerg. a. scourges b. devourers and mutalisks can take down bc's real quick. turtling imo is only really effective in user made maps where the main base has an almost infinite amount of resources. i usually use terrans and use a form of a moving siege tank line with wraiths and valkyries for air support. too bad that combo won't be effective anymore against those new protoss units.

I was playing the campaign (original) last night as the Terrans... I think the game TRAINS you to TURTLE. I mean, the computers assaults are very weak and easy to repel (usually 1-2 bunkers of marines with a silo and 1-2 suv repairing is all that's needed)... the quickest way to get through the "SEARCH AND DESTROY" boards is to just build a squad of BCs and methodically destroy everything in your path.

This has ruined me :cry:

I used to spend HOURS playing with my friends on LAN (7 years ago) against computer maps. We'd team up and take on 2 vs. 6 aggressive computers. Fun... but we'd get owned vs. humans.

brick88

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
yeah the computer's attacks usually consist of a couple zergling squads and an ultralisk if lucky. in sc single player all i needed to build was a bunker and a couple siege tanks to hold off the world but that pretty much never works against real opponents. lately ive been playing those massed unit games online. i havent played a real multi against a few humans in a whiile.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Nothing like thinking you have AoE mastered because you can beat the PC, going online for the first time, starting a game against a 12 year old and getting shredded by a wave of archers within 10 minutes because you were trying to build up your base. :lol:

Definitely humbling.