I don't have a Case Fan...Should I?

Warmmane

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2002
I don't have a case fan. I am running an 1800+ with a Shuttles 266A mobo, GF4 4200. My motherboard temp. is at about 39 C and my processor is at about 53C. How important is it for me to have a case fan?

Thank you.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
As long as you are running stably, you don't need to worry about heat. All the case fan is going to do is reduce your temps a few degrees, but it's not always necessary.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

tersagun

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2001
Opening the case will be more helpful. And it looks like much cooler! :wink:

<b>Before getting angry to the (d)evil, just think about who CREATED it!</b> :mad:

mwgorecki

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Don't open your case - air is designed to run across your system in a certain way. I have two fans in the back of my Antec SX830 and one in front of my hard drives. 7200 RPM drives generate a bit of heat. You have more than a processor to keep cool.

sz

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey W,

Okay, here's my two cents: at 39C your mobo is a little hot, get two case fans- one intake(in front of case blowing in) & one exhaust(in back of case, under PSU, blowing out). My case runs at about 30C...........my case has 4 fans- 1 front intake, 1 side intake over cpu, 1 top exhaust, & 1 rear exhaust. My PSU is a dual fan 500 watt Raidmax(all aluminium).

Your cpu is also running a little hot. It should only be running at about 10C hotter than your mobo. What HSF are you using? I am using a T.I. Dr. Thermal TI-V77L HSF, it is not that loud. My cpu also a 1800+ runs at 40C to 46C, with the FSB set at 137 mhz.

If you really want to know how cool the coolest your system could run, take off the side & top panel of the case & put a house fan right up to the open panel.

The bottom line is: if your computer can do everything that you want it to, without locking up, it is running cool enough.................if you want all your components to last as long as possible, cooler is better.

By the way, I love that Shuttle AK31A mobo. It is the best low budget mobo that I have ever used.

Peace Out.....................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing