CD Writer won't burn

July 27, 2004 2:19:18 PM

I have an hp pavilion mx70. I purshased my PC at Best Buy, and bought the 3 year extended warranty.
I am having problems with my burner. It will read and play CD's, but it will not recognize a blank cd to burn.
I have taken it Back to Best Buy 3 times in the last 2 weeks. they keep telling me that it is working fine, no problems. When I take my PC in they can't get it to work either, tell me they will need to keep it. I go back to pick it up and the show me the cd they created on a different PC, to show me it is fixed. I bring it home and I get the same thing. The tird time this happened, they talked me into buying Windows XP. They told me this would take care of the problem. I kind of like the Windows XP, but it did not cure the problem. I can not record a cd. What can I do ? this is becoming very costly for me running back and forth to best Buy.

More about : writer burn

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 9:26:01 PM

HP s&9ks. Bridges for sale, cheap. You're being taken to the cleaners.
Try a Dell on for size.

On a lighter note, could be the media you're trying to burn to. Check the
specs, and get media made by a well-known mfr of this media.
"davejo" <davejo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have an hp pavilion mx70. I purshased my PC at Best Buy, and bought the
3 year extended warranty.
> I am having problems with my burner. It will read and play CD's, but it
will not recognize a blank cd to burn.
> I have taken it Back to Best Buy 3 times in the last 2 weeks. they keep
telling me that it is working fine, no problems. When I take my PC in they
can't get it to work either, tell me they will need to keep it. I go back to
pick it up and the show me the cd they created on a different PC, to show me
it is fixed. I bring it home and I get the same thing. The tird time this
happened, they talked me into buying Windows XP. They told me this would
take care of the problem. I kind of like the Windows XP, but it did not cure
the problem. I can not record a cd. What can I do ? this is becoming very
costly for me running back and forth to best Buy.
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:25:46 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:26:01 -0400, Lil' Dave wrote:

> I go back to
> pick it up and the show me the cd they created on a different PC, to show me
> it is fixed.

Sounds like they're skirting the problem. Why aren't they showing you a CD
they burned on your computer? That it works on a different computer does
not show that it is fixed on yours.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:25:46 -0500, Sharon F wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:26:01 -0400, Lil' Dave wrote:

Sorry. Responded to wrong post. Previous reply is for davejo.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

No problem, was understood. Too err is human. I like MVP humans, as
opposed to the god-like versions. :)
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:25:46 -0500, Sharon F wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 17:26:01 -0400, Lil' Dave wrote:
>
> Sorry. Responded to wrong post. Previous reply is for davejo.
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 12:35:06 PM

I am jumping on the end of this question with one of my own. I cannot get my
Dell 4600 to burn either. I need baby steps from start to finish to do this.
I want to download speaches off the internet. I have checked many places for
help, but none has given me any I can use. Who has baby download and burning
steps for me?

"davejo" wrote:

> I have an hp pavilion mx70. I purshased my PC at Best Buy, and bought the 3 year extended warranty.
> I am having problems with my burner. It will read and play CD's, but it will not recognize a blank cd to burn.
> I have taken it Back to Best Buy 3 times in the last 2 weeks. they keep telling me that it is working fine, no problems. When I take my PC in they can't get it to work either, tell me they will need to keep it. I go back to pick it up and the show me the cd they created on a different PC, to show me it is fixed. I bring it home and I get the same thing. The tird time this happened, they talked me into buying Windows XP. They told me this would take care of the problem. I kind of like the Windows XP, but it did not cure the problem. I can not record a cd. What can I do ? this is becoming very costly for me running back and forth to best Buy.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 1:33:36 PM

"Kyra" <Kyra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am jumping on the end of this question with one of my own. I cannot get
my
> Dell 4600 to burn either. I need baby steps from start to finish to do
this.
> I want to download speaches off the internet. I have checked many places
for
> help, but none has given me any I can use. Who has baby download and
burning
> steps for me?

Call Dell.

> "davejo" wrote:
>
> > I have an hp pavilion mx70. I purshased my PC at Best Buy, and bought
the 3 year extended warranty.
> > I am having problems with my burner. It will read and play CD's, but it
will not recognize a blank cd to burn.
> > I have taken it Back to Best Buy 3 times in the last 2 weeks. they keep
telling me that it is working fine, no problems. When I take my PC in they
can't get it to work either, tell me they will need to keep it. I go back to
pick it up and the show me the cd they created on a different PC, to show me
it is fixed. I bring it home and I get the same thing. The tird time this
happened, they talked me into buying Windows XP. They told me this would
take care of the problem. I kind of like the Windows XP, but it did not cure
the problem. I can not record a cd. What can I do ? this is becoming very
costly for me running back and forth to best Buy.
Anonymous
October 5, 2004 8:30:57 PM

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:35:06 -0700, "Kyra" <Kyra@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Well I was having a similar problem. The DVD plays DVD's [7th heaven], creates
DVD's with Studio 8 [that came with the DVD]. Has created 2 so far.
I was told the 1.6 gig DVD disks could be used as data disks. I bought a 50
pack from the place I got the machine.
I haven't transferred the 1st byte of data as a data disk or as DVD to this 50
pack of DVD-R disks.

I went back to walmart and bought 2 different style DVD's DVD+R and DVD+RW.
As I understand it the -R and +R are WORM style Write once read many.
And the +RW is read/write/read/write until the data starts degrading.
I just finished creating a 2nd DVD using the DVD+R disk.

I can't say that these DVD +R or +RW will also work as data disks. I just
finished making the 2 DVD+R with studio8.

None of the DVD-R disks worked for anything including as normal movie DVD's.
I'm using the liteon sohw 812s.

I can't say that changing type disks will cure your problem or not, but so far
it seems it's cured a partial problem of mine. If the new disks also work as
data disks for me then I'd say the cure is to change TYPE of DVD disk.

>I am jumping on the end of this question with one of my own. I cannot get my
>Dell 4600 to burn either. I need baby steps from start to finish to do this.
>I want to download speaches off the internet. I have checked many places for
>help, but none has given me any I can use. Who has baby download and burning
>steps for me?
>
>"davejo" wrote:
>
>> I have an hp pavilion mx70. I purshased my PC at Best Buy, and bought the 3 year extended warranty.
>> I am having problems with my burner. It will read and play CD's, but it will not recognize a blank cd to burn.
>> I have taken it Back to Best Buy 3 times in the last 2 weeks. they keep telling me that it is working fine, no problems. When I take my PC in they can't get it to work either, tell me they will need to keep it. I go back to pick it up and the show me the cd they created on a different PC, to show me it is fixed. I bring it home and I get the same thing. The tird time this happened, they talked me into buying Windows XP. They told me this would take care of the problem. I kind of like the Windows XP, but it did not cure the problem. I can not record a cd. What can I do ? this is becoming very costly for me running back and forth to best Buy.

As for the recognize blank. I have no idea what to tell you on that. When I
insert a blank DVD explorer acts like there's nothing or a damaged disk there.
it shows 0 bytes free and 0 bytes total. But that should make sense since they
say that XP pro CAN NOT WRITE or READ the DVD format.
Works for CD's but not DVD's you need 3rd party software to manage DVD's.

October 6, 2004 2:04:39 AM

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:30:57 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:

Well I've been busy filling up the DVD +R disks with data all day. the DVD -R
disks failed in every mode I used. So if it's cheaper to buy a different type
disk before going the route of arguing with a salesman that doesn't want to
support you, I'd say go that route.

I'd like nothing better than to be able to use these $1.00 DVD -R disks, but it
looks like that just isn't going to happen with my drive.

>On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:35:06 -0700, "Kyra" <Kyra@discussions.microsoft.com>
>wrote:
>
>Well I was having a similar problem. The DVD plays DVD's [7th heaven], creates
>DVD's with Studio 8 [that came with the DVD]. Has created 2 so far.
>I was told the 1.6 gig DVD disks could be used as data disks. I bought a 50
>pack from the place I got the machine.
>I haven't transferred the 1st byte of data as a data disk or as DVD to this 50
>pack of DVD-R disks.
>
>I went back to walmart and bought 2 different style DVD's DVD+R and DVD+RW.
>As I understand it the -R and +R are WORM style Write once read many.
>And the +RW is read/write/read/write until the data starts degrading.
>I just finished creating a 2nd DVD using the DVD+R disk.
>
>I can't say that these DVD +R or +RW will also work as data disks. I just
>finished making the 2 DVD+R with studio8.
>
>None of the DVD-R disks worked for anything including as normal movie DVD's.
>I'm using the liteon sohw 812s.
>
>I can't say that changing type disks will cure your problem or not, but so far
>it seems it's cured a partial problem of mine. If the new disks also work as
>data disks for me then I'd say the cure is to change TYPE of DVD disk.
>
>>I am jumping on the end of this question with one of my own. I cannot get my
>>Dell 4600 to burn either. I need baby steps from start to finish to do this.
>>I want to download speaches off the internet. I have checked many places for
>>help, but none has given me any I can use. Who has baby download and burning
>>steps for me?
>>
>>"davejo" wrote:
>>
>>> I have an hp pavilion mx70. I purshased my PC at Best Buy, and bought the 3 year extended warranty.
>>> I am having problems with my burner. It will read and play CD's, but it will not recognize a blank cd to burn.
>>> I have taken it Back to Best Buy 3 times in the last 2 weeks. they keep telling me that it is working fine, no problems. When I take my PC in they can't get it to work either, tell me they will need to keep it. I go back to pick it up and the show me the cd they created on a different PC, to show me it is fixed. I bring it home and I get the same thing. The tird time this happened, they talked me into buying Windows XP. They told me this would take care of the problem. I kind of like the Windows XP, but it did not cure the problem. I can not record a cd. What can I do ? this is becoming very costly for me running back and forth to best Buy.
>
>As for the recognize blank. I have no idea what to tell you on that. When I
>insert a blank DVD explorer acts like there's nothing or a damaged disk there.
>it shows 0 bytes free and 0 bytes total. But that should make sense since they
>say that XP pro CAN NOT WRITE or READ the DVD format.
>Works for CD's but not DVD's you need 3rd party software to manage DVD's.

October 6, 2004 2:04:40 AM

Hi I was just reading along here, I would suggest you check the specs on your
DVD Drive, I happen to have purchased an Iomega Super DVD drive that reads
and writes ALL DVD formats, some drives will read/write only DVD -R/RWs and
some only DVD +R/RWs and that would explain why you can't do anything with
the DVD -R media you are using...

"Husky" wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:30:57 -0400, Husky <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote:
>
> Well I've been busy filling up the DVD +R disks with data all day. the DVD -R
> disks failed in every mode I used. So if it's cheaper to buy a different type
> disk before going the route of arguing with a salesman that doesn't want to
> support you, I'd say go that route.
>
> I'd like nothing better than to be able to use these $1.00 DVD -R disks, but it
> looks like that just isn't going to happen with my drive.
>

> >On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:35:06 -0700, "Kyra" <Kyra@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >Well I was having a similar problem. The DVD plays DVD's [7th heaven], creates
> >DVD's with Studio 8 [that came with the DVD]. Has created 2 so far.
> >I was told the 1.6 gig DVD disks could be used as data disks. I bought a 50
> >pack from the place I got the machine.
> >I haven't transferred the 1st byte of data as a data disk or as DVD to this 50
> >pack of DVD-R disks.
> >
> >I went back to walmart and bought 2 different style DVD's DVD+R and DVD+RW.
> >As I understand it the -R and +R are WORM style Write once read many.
> >And the +RW is read/write/read/write until the data starts degrading.
> >I just finished creating a 2nd DVD using the DVD+R disk.
> >
> >I can't say that these DVD +R or +RW will also work as data disks. I just
> >finished making the 2 DVD+R with studio8.
> >
> >None of the DVD-R disks worked for anything including as normal movie DVD's.
> >I'm using the liteon sohw 812s.
> >
> >I can't say that changing type disks will cure your problem or not, but so far
> >it seems it's cured a partial problem of mine. If the new disks also work as
> >data disks for me then I'd say the cure is to change TYPE of DVD disk.
> >
> >>I am jumping on the end of this question with one of my own. I cannot get my
> >>Dell 4600 to burn either. I need baby steps from start to finish to do this.
> >>I want to download speaches off the internet. I have checked many places for
> >>help, but none has given me any I can use. Who has baby download and burning
> >>steps for me?

> >As for the recognize blank. I have no idea what to tell you on that. When I
> >insert a blank DVD explorer acts like there's nothing or a damaged disk there.
> >it shows 0 bytes free and 0 bytes total. But that should make sense since they
> >say that XP pro CAN NOT WRITE or READ the DVD format.
> >Works for CD's but not DVD's you need 3rd party software to manage DVD's.
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 3:28:44 PM

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:45:23 -0700, Stroke <Stroke@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

liteon SOHW 812s. According to them it'd write on a PB&J sandwich if you stuck
it in the drive. It's not a Roll's but maybe a Lincoln Continental of DVD
writers. I suspect $1.00 DVD's are just too low a quality for the drive to
handle.

It says it can do -R and -RW. I suspect if I got $2-3 dollar -R and -RW disks
it'd work fine. But since it handles +R and +RW and they're both available for
the same price as -R and -RW. I'll use the + versions since they do work.