Will the P4 3.66Ghz require new mobo?

Dongle_Dave

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
I thought I saw an article a week ago that suggested that due to higher voltage requirements, the new P4 3.xx chips would require new motherboards. However on the latest THG review on the 3.xx chips, they use an ASUS P4T533C board. Does this mean that boards such as the Gigabyte 8IHXP (850E chip) and maybe the EP4G4A+ (845G chip)would work with the faster CPU? If so, that's great news! Comments?

Dave

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
THG will have had to OC the boards to get that speed out of it, as P4s don't allow multiplier adjustment, so they probably would have voided the warranty on the mobos they used. So it means you'll probably need a new mobo to get <i>official</i> support, but any current mobo which has lots of OCing options will work, just not within official specs. probably.

<font color=blue><i>Your</i> PC may be quieter, but <i>my</i> PC makes a better hairdryer!</font color=blue>

JaeSun

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
in other forums, its said that the whole 3.6 review is fake, being that the codes on the pictured chip is from the early northwoods, and why would he modify the image, etc etc

Apparently you have no clue as to what Intel Confidental on the chip means.

It means that the chip DOES NOT have a locked multiplyer. It is an engineering sample. So the chip can be whatever you can get it to run at . With the fsb,memory I/O all running at stock speeds.

Please don't post FUD. Other people who do not know may read it and repeat it as fact.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's supposed to be a wattage issue, overclockers boards should have no problem delivering the additional power, but cheap boards like ECS and PC Chips might not be able to provide enough power.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Muhaha, so I can still keep my TH7II and upgrade my CPU in another year for a good price! Not bad for a 400MHz FSB mobo, hehe. :wink:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Dongle_Dave

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Are boards like the Gigabyte 8IHXP (850E) and the Epox A4G4+ (845G) considered "overclocker boards"? I'm thinking of one of these boards in the immediate future and would like to think that I could upgrade the CPU at some point! Is it possible with these?

Thanks

Dave

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Noone can say with any 100% certainty which boards will work, but in all likelyhood these boards will work.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>