Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Could somebody tell me why when the page file is split over two drives when you have to reboot it comes up with half the page file(one drive only has page file ) but if you reboot again it puts it back to the size it should be over both drives .Clear page file ar reboot is disabled ?

Open advanced in system,advanced,virtual-memory,click change button,
L.click a drive,select,let windows manage,click set 2X,do this for each,then
close out,restart computer.If you set it properly,a reboot pop-up and/or
a required restart will show.You can adjust windows to clear the page file at
restart or shutdown,but it also takes up to 1 minute more to to restart comp.
Open regedit,expand:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\control\
sessionmanager\then open memorymanagement.L.click:clearpagefileatshutdown
Then go to edit,modify,set to 1 from 0 Close out regedit,restart computer.

"Don" wrote:

> Could somebody tell me why when the page file is split over two drives when you have to reboot it comes up with half the page file(one drive only has page file ) but if you reboot again it puts it back to the size it should be over both drives .Clear page file ar reboot is disabled ?

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

As I said in my original question all that you are suggesting I have done .On reboot you only get a page file on C: if you reboot again the page file for both C: and D: are where they are supposed to be - rebooting twice each time is a pain in the ass ?

"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:D7EBF915-8280-4402-8E8E-18465A114761@microsoft.com:
> Could somebody tell me why when the page file is split over two
> drives when you have to reboot it comes up with half the page
> file(one drive only has page file ) but if you reboot again it puts
> it back to the size it should be over both drives .Clear page file ar
> reboot is disabled ?

Are the 2 pagefiles in the same type of partition (e.g., NTFS) in 2
partitions on 2 *separate* drives? Or is it really 1 physical hard
drive with 2 partitions with a pagefile in each?

You didn't mention anything regarding your hardware. Are the hard
drives on the same controller? That is, are both on the motherboard IDE
ports, both on an IDE daughter card controller, or is one one a
motherboard IDE port and the other on an IDE daughter card controller or
maybe using a SATA port?

When the pagefile only on the first drive is used (and the pagefile on
the second drive is missing), can you actually use the second drive to
read and write files?

After changing the size of the pagefiles on each drive, delete any that
currently exist and force them to get created anew. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=255205.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Page file is setup custom for C: and D: drives (primary and secondary ides on the motherboard) they are seperate drives (yes the drive is usable as per normal if you only reboot once )the point is why does it have to be rebooted again or manually changed to get the page file back to the custom settings - obviously the system knows that the setup is wrong if it corrects it by itself on the second boot.

wrote in news:5C3317C5-12BF-4846-82A4-DB552FBC501D@microsoft.com:
> Page file is setup custom for C: and D: drives (primary and secondary
> ides on the motherboard) they are seperate drives (yes the drive is
> usable as per normal if you only reboot once )the point is why does
> it have to be rebooted again or manually changed to get the page file
> back to the custom settings - obviously the system knows that the
> setup is wrong if it corrects it by itself on the second boot.

How much system RAM do you have? How much free space is there on each
drive? What were the custom pagefile sizes that you specified on C: and
D:? Did you yet try to delete the old pagefiles and recreate them? I
would also try to delete the pagefiles (in Recovery Console mode) and
then see if you can also run defrag.exe (while still in RC mode) and
then reboot to recreate the pagefiles on each drive. Did you set the
min and max size to the same value for each pagefile (to eliminate or
reduce fragmentation)?

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I have 2gigs ddr 400 - free space is 100 gigs on C: about 95 gigs on D: min and max are the same on both (3069 - 4092) have booted in safe mode and deleted and replaced (many times) have no idea what RC mode is but if it is anything like safe mode you really don't want to be running defrag.

wrote in news:ED24DC00-AEA7-4F38-BB04-37097577BA4D@microsoft.com:
> I have 2gigs ddr 400 - free space is 100 gigs on C: about 95 gigs on
> D: min and max are the same on both (3069 - 4092) have booted in safe
> mode and deleted and replaced (many times) have no idea what RC mode
> is but if it is anything like safe mode you really don't want to be
> running defrag.

To search on a concept yet unknown, like Recovery Console (RC), searches
will often yield help, like:

- Visit http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbhowto.
- Select "Windows XP" for the product.
- Search on "Recovery Console" (exact phrase).
- See second match in results titled "How to install and use the
Recovery Console in Windows XP".
- A little farther down is the article titled "Description of the
Windows XP Recovery Console".

Or, use Start -> Help and Support and search on "recovery console". I
don't know if the defrag.exe program is supported under RC mode. You
can find the Defrag utility, Defrag.exe, in the %SystemRoot%\System32
folder.

By "setting min and max to the same value", I meant to have them set to
the same value for each of them for each pagefile segment defined. For
example, on C: use 2GB for *both* the min and max and on D: also use 2GB
for *both* the min and max, so min = max = 2000.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Buddy I have no idea what you are smoking - but you really need to take a break - why would you suggest running defrag in RC mode if you don't know if it will run in RCmode - as for setting both min and max to the same value good luck (try it you will see)

"*Vanguard*" wrote:

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in news:ED24DC00-AEA7-4F38-BB04-37097577BA4D@microsoft.com:
> > I have 2gigs ddr 400 - free space is 100 gigs on C: about 95 gigs on
> > D: min and max are the same on both (3069 - 4092) have booted in safe
> > mode and deleted and replaced (many times) have no idea what RC mode
> > is but if it is anything like safe mode you really don't want to be
> > running defrag.
>
> To search on a concept yet unknown, like Recovery Console (RC), searches
> will often yield help, like:
>
> - Visit http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbhowto.
> - Select "Windows XP" for the product.
> - Search on "Recovery Console" (exact phrase).
> - See second match in results titled "How to install and use the
> Recovery Console in Windows XP".
> - A little farther down is the article titled "Description of the
> Windows XP Recovery Console".
>
> Or, use Start -> Help and Support and search on "recovery console". I
> don't know if the defrag.exe program is supported under RC mode. You
> can find the Defrag utility, Defrag.exe, in the %SystemRoot%\System32
> folder.
>
> By "setting min and max to the same value", I meant to have them set to
> the same value for each of them for each pagefile segment defined. For
> example, on C: use 2GB for *both* the min and max and on D: also use 2GB
> for *both* the min and max, so min = max = 2000.

> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> (E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Thank you for the info. on Recovery Console - as it says it is for advanced users and if the computer cannot be started in safe mode(as niether of these apply it is totaly useless) incase you didn't notice this is the new users group (not the tech group)why not just tell me to go into regedit and start deleting items ?

wrote in news:1297A8F6-FDA7-4F30-9AE4-6B80AFCB2C5F@microsoft.com:
> Thank you for the info. on Recovery Console - as it says it is for
> advanced users and if the computer cannot be started in safe mode(as
> niether of these apply it is totaly useless) incase you didn't notice
> this is the new users group (not the tech group)why not just tell me
> to go into regedit and start deleting items ?

"newusers" does not dictate "no initiative, no persistence, and no
learning". Also, new to Windows XP does NOT also dictate that you are
new to NT-based versions of Windows. I used Windows NT4 for a few
years, then used Windows 2000 for several years, and just migrated to
Windows XP this January, so I was "new" to Windows XP but not
unexperienced regarding NT-based versions of Windows. "newuser" doesn't
necessarily equate to stupid or inexperienced user but merely means new
to the topic suggested by the newsgroup title. If my suggestions are
beyond your level of expertise and you do not wish to enlarge your
expertise then just leave the system as it is because you do currently
have a usable workaround. Not all problems have super simplistic
solutions. If I know of a command-line or GUI program to make registry
changes then I will usually recommend using those since editing the
registry directly is hazardous even for seasoned users because changes
are immediately and there is no undo and sometimes even I forget to
backup the registry or a key before making what might appear to be a
simple change.

The only way I can be absolutely sure that defrag.exe would be allowed
or blocked under RC mode would be to reboot and actually check. That
means I would have to reboot to enter RC mode to test. That is
something I don't need to waste my time on since you can do that effort
yourself. If it fails then it fails (don't expect every suggestion to
pan out) but if it works then I don't need to duplicate the same task
you would perform, anyway. There are way too many more posts to read
other than yours for me to waste rebooting to test. It was a
suggestion. You decide whether to act on it or not. You chose not to.

As to your other reply where you said "... - as for setting both min and
max to the same value good luck (try it you will see)", I've been
setting min=max for virtual memory (i.e., the pagefile) for years ever
since using Windows 2000 (but it has been too long to remember what
settings were available under Windows NT4). In Windows XP, make sure
you click the "Custom" radio checkbox so YOUR settings gets used, and
click the Apply button *before* exiting that dialog (so you see your
entered values show up in the partition list at the top of the dialog
window).

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2700/rh2733.htm might apply to your
problem. I have not before heard of this particular problem and no one
else has yet chimed into the thread to provide other suggestions. I've
never used the MMC to change the pagefile size but instead have always
used the System applet to configure it.

You are under no obligation to implement my suggestions but also be
aware that anything discussed within newsgroups is at your own risk in
implementing them. This is peer community of users volunteering their
time to help others. It is not Microsoft providing you with free
technical support.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I am glad you are a competent computer person ( at what point exactly did anybody mention using MMC to configure the page file) I use the system applet just like you but unlike you I cannot set min and max to the same value as it will not be accepted . By the way 2gigs is 2048 not 2000 .
Thank you

wrote in news:561355E3-5144-469E-8806-62B1872BFCBC@microsoft.com:
> I am glad you are a competent computer person ( at what point exactly
> did
> anybody mention using MMC to configure the page file) I use the
> system applet just like you but unlike you I cannot set min and max
> to the same value as it will not be accepted . By the way 2gigs is
> 2048 not 2000 . Thank you

I used 2000 as an *EXAMPLE*. There is no requirement to select a size
which is a multiple or power of 2. You could set it to 1039 if you like
which is a prime number so obviously it is not divisible by 2. You
could set the pagefile on C: as low as what is your physical system RAM
plus 12MB for a dump file (but if you disable the dump on crash then you
don't even need that much) since Windows will prefer to use the pagefile
on a partition other than the boot partition (where Windows loads from).
The standing recommendation is to set the pagefile to 1.5 times your
system RAM, but since you are slicing it up across drives then only the
aggregate of those pagefiles needs to equal that recommendation.

Other than forgetting to click Set and Apply before exiting the dialog
window for changing the virtual memory parameters, I haven't seen nor
even heard of the problem you reported. You never divulged what
interface you were using to set the min and max for pagefile size. My
first assumption was that you were using the System applet. However, I
later found mention that the Computer Management MMC could also be used
but might incur a problem (which was noted for under Windows 2000 but
most of what applies to Windows 2000 also applies to Windows XP). Since
you didn't mention how you were setting pagefile parameters, I covered
whatever methods might be available. Even if we are standing at your
front door and you claim the doors are locked, it is not unreasonable to
ask if you also locked the back door. It is also possible you edited
the registry or used a tweak utility, like X-Setup.

You also never divulged having already ran a full scan using a recently
updated anti-virus program and scanning for spyware and malware using
products like Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWShredder, or other such tools.
Although you may get irritated that I ask if you ran these since they
would seem obvious, many users do post about problems but never checked
for viruses, trojans, hijackers, or other malware.

Guess you're on your own from here on out. Hope you solve the problem
yourself without requiring a reformat and fresh reinstall.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

If you are going to offer advice to somebody at least be accurate - it was a simple question to begin with now it is a book.

"*Vanguard*" wrote:

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in news:561355E3-5144-469E-8806-62B1872BFCBC@microsoft.com:
> > I am glad you are a competent computer person ( at what point exactly
> > did
> > anybody mention using MMC to configure the page file) I use the
> > system applet just like you but unlike you I cannot set min and max
> > to the same value as it will not be accepted . By the way 2gigs is
> > 2048 not 2000 . Thank you
>
> I used 2000 as an *EXAMPLE*. There is no requirement to select a size
> which is a multiple or power of 2. You could set it to 1039 if you like
> which is a prime number so obviously it is not divisible by 2. You
> could set the pagefile on C: as low as what is your physical system RAM
> plus 12MB for a dump file (but if you disable the dump on crash then you
> don't even need that much) since Windows will prefer to use the pagefile
> on a partition other than the boot partition (where Windows loads from).
> The standing recommendation is to set the pagefile to 1.5 times your
> system RAM, but since you are slicing it up across drives then only the
> aggregate of those pagefiles needs to equal that recommendation.
>
> Other than forgetting to click Set and Apply before exiting the dialog
> window for changing the virtual memory parameters, I haven't seen nor
> even heard of the problem you reported. You never divulged what
> interface you were using to set the min and max for pagefile size. My
> first assumption was that you were using the System applet. However, I
> later found mention that the Computer Management MMC could also be used
> but might incur a problem (which was noted for under Windows 2000 but
> most of what applies to Windows 2000 also applies to Windows XP). Since
> you didn't mention how you were setting pagefile parameters, I covered
> whatever methods might be available. Even if we are standing at your
> front door and you claim the doors are locked, it is not unreasonable to
> ask if you also locked the back door. It is also possible you edited
> the registry or used a tweak utility, like X-Setup.
>
> You also never divulged having already ran a full scan using a recently
> updated anti-virus program and scanning for spyware and malware using
> products like Ad-Aware, Spybot, CWShredder, or other such tools.
> Although you may get irritated that I ask if you ran these since they
> would seem obvious, many users do post about problems but never checked
> for viruses, trojans, hijackers, or other malware.
>
> Guess you're on your own from here on out. Hope you solve the problem
> yourself without requiring a reformat and fresh reinstall.

> *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> (E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

Mike

Splendid

Don

If you really are a new user, stick to new user tasks and leave alone
anything that suggests 'advanced'.. when changing user configurables, if
they do not change as suggested, maybe you are doing something wrong.. even
if you were, I think that you would be the last to admit to it, maybe..

From another post of yours ".. have read a lot on the help pages etc. and
have configured it to recommended settings ." .. I would suggest that you
continue to read help pages as you seem unable to be civil with anybody that
tries to help you..

Mike

"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > entered values show up in the partition list at the top of the dialog
> > window).
> >
> > http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBF/TIP2700/rh2733.htm might apply to your
> > problem. I have not before heard of this particular problem and no one
> > else has yet chimed into the thread to provide other suggestions. I've
> > never used the MMC to change the pagefile size but instead have always
> > used the System applet to configure it.
> >
> > You are under no obligation to implement my suggestions but also be
> > aware that anything discussed within newsgroups is at your own risk in
> > implementing them. This is peer community of users volunteering their
> > time to help others. It is not Microsoft providing you with free
> > technical support.
> >
> > --
> > *** Post replies to newsgroup. Share with others.
> > (E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

I am trying to learn and it was a simple question to begin with - did not require RC or anything else if you guy's actually read the responses you would see that the system corrects after second boot - I wanted to know why it takes two boots . As for being civil - if you offer advice you should at least be accurate and offer advice on the question asked . I do realize there are a lot of variables out there but if you split your page file over 2 drives(wich is recomended in alot of instances) why does the system not read both on first reboot (but corrects this on second boot) It is not a critical issue , if you don't know the answer don't start in about RC etc .

wrote in news:D0A436F0-1F3B-48A2-A3A8-22B04EDA615C@microsoft.com:
> If you are going to offer advice to somebody at least be accurate -
> it was a simple question to begin with now it is a book.

"What is the meaning of life" is a simple question, too. For some
folks, the answer is a real simple "42" (you'll need to read
"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" to figure out what that answer
means). Simple questions don't necessarily equate to simple answers.

wrote in news:4E35B58C-5EE6-46DC-910F-BB52CAC5DFC4@microsoft.com:
> I am trying to learn and it was a simple question to begin with - did
> not require RC or anything else if you guy's actually read the
> I wanted to know why it takes two boots . As for being civil - if you
> offer advice you should at least be accurate and offer advice on the
> question asked . I do realize there are a lot of variables out there
> but if you split your page file over 2 drives(wich is recomended in
> alot of instances) why does the system not read both on first reboot
> (but corrects this on second boot) It is not a critical issue , if
> you don't know the answer don't start in about RC etc .

Sorry, but God, Allah, or whatever is your favorite ultimate deity
doesn't participate in the newsgroups. To it, all this computer stuff
is human-spawned self-hell on earth.

If you don't know the answer, and if no one else does either, then be
prepared to experiment. If you don't have the initiative and
persistence to use and maintain a general-purpose operating system then
computers is not something you should get involved with. They are not
single-purpose appliances, like an oven. There is never any guarantee
that any advice (which is, ahem, advice and not fact) will solve your
problem. Advice provides you a clue or guideline that *may* help
resolve your problem. Don't post in newsgroups expecting absolute
truths and guaranteed answers. You are always free to ignore any post
submitted to your thread. You, however, cannot bar anyone from
submitting to it. It's not your personally owned resource.

We're digressing from the original topic. So far no one else has come
up with better *suggestions*. Guess no one has experienced your
specific dilemma, isn't interested in helping you, doesn't want to help
you, or never saw your post.. Regardless of your wants, the solution to
your simple question is not a simple answer. As such, and if simple
solutions are all that you will accept that are based on absolute and
immutable truths (which obviously doesn't apply to software), then
you're stuck with the problem. As I mentioned, if no one that
volunteers their time for free can help you, and if you can't help you,
and if you won't pay someone to help you, then a possible last resort is
to backup your data, reformat the partition, and do a fresh install and
hope you or your OS don't screw up again. Sometimes major surgery is
required if the problem is deemed severe enough to warrant it.

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

I owe all you gentlemen an appology - yes you can set your pagefile min. and
max. to the same value - part of the problem was that I had excess space and
had set pagefile to max. recommended on 2 different drives - ie. twice max
recommended - have corrected this so that one third is on C: drive and two
thirds is on D: drive (min and max - same value) and still on reboot it
recognises pagefile on D: and ignores C: pagefile until next reboot - when it
registers both - not a major issue and I will live with it - thank you for
your patience and suggestion's .

"*Vanguard*" wrote:

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in news:4E35B58C-5EE6-46DC-910F-BB52CAC5DFC4@microsoft.com:
> > I am trying to learn and it was a simple question to begin with - did
> > not require RC or anything else if you guy's actually read the
> > I wanted to know why it takes two boots . As for being civil - if you
> > offer advice you should at least be accurate and offer advice on the
> > question asked . I do realize there are a lot of variables out there
> > but if you split your page file over 2 drives(wich is recomended in
> > alot of instances) why does the system not read both on first reboot
> > (but corrects this on second boot) It is not a critical issue , if
> > you don't know the answer don't start in about RC etc .
>
> Sorry, but God, Allah, or whatever is your favorite ultimate deity
> doesn't participate in the newsgroups. To it, all this computer stuff
> is human-spawned self-hell on earth.
>
> If you don't know the answer, and if no one else does either, then be
> prepared to experiment. If you don't have the initiative and
> persistence to use and maintain a general-purpose operating system then
> computers is not something you should get involved with. They are not
> single-purpose appliances, like an oven. There is never any guarantee
> that any advice (which is, ahem, advice and not fact) will solve your
> problem. Advice provides you a clue or guideline that *may* help
> resolve your problem. Don't post in newsgroups expecting absolute
> truths and guaranteed answers. You are always free to ignore any post
> submitted to your thread. You, however, cannot bar anyone from
> submitting to it. It's not your personally owned resource.
>
> We're digressing from the original topic. So far no one else has come
> up with better *suggestions*. Guess no one has experienced your
> specific dilemma, isn't interested in helping you, doesn't want to help
> you, or never saw your post.. Regardless of your wants, the solution to
> your simple question is not a simple answer. As such, and if simple
> solutions are all that you will accept that are based on absolute and
> immutable truths (which obviously doesn't apply to software), then
> you're stuck with the problem. As I mentioned, if no one that
> volunteers their time for free can help you, and if you can't help you,
> and if you won't pay someone to help you, then a possible last resort is
> to backup your data, reformat the partition, and do a fresh install and
> hope you or your OS don't screw up again. Sometimes major surgery is
> required if the problem is deemed severe enough to warrant it.

TRENDING THREADS