Sign in with
Your question

The Best of Star War Games, Part 2

Last response: in Video Games
May 25, 2007 4:25:16 PM

From TIE Fighter to Knights of the Old Republic, TwitchGuru looks back on more of the best Star War games to celebrate the 30th anniversary of "Episode IV: A New Hope."

More about : star war games part

May 25, 2007 5:43:07 PM

Although the games you mentioned were all good (KOTOR was GREAT!) you left out two important games: Jedi Knight and Jedi Academy.

Jedi Knight was just plain badass and continued the story of Kyle Katarn. One of the best moments was finally getting back your lightsaber and in the very next scene, reaking havoc inside a cantina.

Jedi Academy introduced the double edged lightsaber and the dual lightsaber which made for good custmization. Even though the graphics and gameplay did not change, it contiuned the story and left it open for another sequel.
Related resources
May 25, 2007 6:08:57 PM

I meant Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast. Sorry for the mix up!
May 25, 2007 6:10:00 PM

Sooooo.... there is going to be a part three right?
Jedi Academy was a far superior game to empire at war.
And KOTOR 2, although not as good as KOTOR 1, was still a great game.
And what about X-wing vs Tie Fighter?

I guess you kind of mentioned Lego Star Wars 2 so I'll let that slide.

Jedi Academy and KOTOR 2 though definitely need to be mentioned.
May 25, 2007 6:10:25 PM

Maybe I just didn't play enough video games as a child (never thought I'd say that), but I like most of the newer SW games more. I love Battlefront (my character is maxed out in all areas) and KOTOR (which I never knew was on the consoles) more than almost any other video games. Also, I think you left out xwing vs tie fighter. Not a big deal since you covered both xwing and tie fighter, but I think it is the best of the 3.
May 25, 2007 6:32:57 PM

Am I the only one who enjoyed playing the role of Sebulba and knocking that mouthy Anakin Skywalker off the tracK???
May 25, 2007 7:25:52 PM

Quote:

No problem. It's hard to keep those game names straight when they go like this:

Dark Forces
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (Dark Forces III?)
Jedi Academy (Jedi Outcast II?)(Jedi Knight III?)(Dark Forces IV?)

Crazy Lucasarts.

We don't have a part 3 planned, but I agree with you guys that those are great games. We opted to not cover some of the later sequels because we wanted to spread the love around to the different genres and the later sequels are just improvements on things from the earlier games (at least that was my thought process, Rob may have gone another way). I wanted to hit the best milestone games.
May 25, 2007 7:50:28 PM

Speaking of Star Wars games, I just got a look at The Force Unleashed at the big Star Wars Celebration IV convention here in LA, and the game looks pretty good. More on that next week

Also, LucasArts has a giant booth at the convention showcasing the history of Star Wars games and has several playable titles like the original arcade, Empire Strikes Back, Super Star Wars, Battlefront and more. Seriously, I nearly broke down and wept at this oasis of gaming goodness....
May 25, 2007 10:14:42 PM

I didn't notice, but was there any mention of that Pod Racer game in the articles (I assume that's where the Sebulba reference above comes from)?
May 26, 2007 2:29:49 AM

Hey, what about Star Wars Rebellion. It is an old game, and probably not good by most people's standards, but I loved it.
May 26, 2007 6:29:43 AM

Empire at War was actually the first and only Star Wars themed RTS that I've played. At the time it actually seemed like a very poor attempt to accomplish what ROME TW has done in the 'Sword and Sandals' era in the Star Wars universe. The ground combat was disappointing and a bit on the easy side. The biggest disappointment in the game was the Space Combat, here was a game which was newer than Homeworld 2 but with much poorer graphics and significantly less tactical options not to mention the fact that the ships are constrained to the horizontal plane. The 'Campaign' map also didn't excite.
May 26, 2007 6:46:02 AM

Quote:
Hey, what about Star Wars Rebellion. It is an old game, and probably not good by most people's standards, but I loved it.

That game had potential, but the fact that they couldn't decide if they were making a TBS or an RTS really hurt it.
May 26, 2007 9:00:06 AM

Quote:
That game had potential, but the fact that they couldn't decide if they were making a TBS or an RTS really hurt it.

What do you mean? Didn't find many TBS elements in it, to be honest. `Universe time' even continued while you were in a space battle!

I loved Rebellion too, played it a lot (still play it occasionally, actually).

I also missed X-Wing Alliance in the list. Took the greatness of X-Wing and moved it to modern graphics... (Never played TIE-Fighter, my 386 couldn't handle it, and my next PC ran Win2k :-( )
May 26, 2007 1:00:35 PM

Yeah, Tie Fighter has to be one of the best. I kept an old Gateway P1 166MHz around just for it. Unfortunately, I didn't still have a working joystick (pre-USB) so I had to learn to play it with a racecar wheel. :lol:  :lol: 
May 26, 2007 2:46:41 PM

No Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy makes me sad :( 

Those games were amazing. Crappy lipsync and player textures aside, the graphics look fine even today, and the look and feel are really polished. They're just really great games overall! Pushing stormtroopers off bridges, using force grip to hold an enemy and then decapitate them with a thrown lightsaber, or using force speed to slow time down to 1/4th normal speed and slash at somebody while they're still drawing their gun were all a lot of fun. And you could run off of walls and obstacles like Neo or Trinity in The Matrix 1. Very excellent games... thinking about them kinda makes me want to play them right now...
May 27, 2007 7:59:21 PM

@ext64

I had luck playing Tie Fighter using DOSBOX in VESA graphics. I couldn't turn up the detail too high but that might be different on a Core2 system. General MIDI worked fine so you can use Windows 2000's, XP's, or Vista's Roland-based samples for the game. My current system is an Athlon 64 3700+ Clawhammer. However, you may only get two joystick buttons, but that's a small price to pay to be able to play it on today's PCs.

And yeah, Tie Fighter was one of the best games of the VESA 640 era. Also, it's got to be one of the only Star Wars game that plays solely on the empire's side and viewpoint of the galaxy. They even made original music for the MIDI version instead of only playing the same old John Williams-based soundtrack. (Even though John Williams makes incredible scores, it's nice to have different music once-in-a-while in a Star Wars game). The composer managed to make the Rebel Alliance theme sound like impending doom whenever one of their capital ships hyperspaced in.
May 27, 2007 11:08:10 PM

Quote:

What do you mean? Didn't find many TBS elements in it, to be honest. `Universe time' even continued while you were in a space battle!

That is rather funny. The only part of the game that isn't TBS is the lack of a "Next Turn" button.

Almost everything happens at the turn (Day) boundaries - resources are produced, construction completed, movement occurs, space battles are initiated, espionage/diplomacy missions are resolved.... The only thing that doesn't have to wait for a turn-end to occur is planetary invasions.

The game is a TBS with the Next Turn button removed and a mandatory turn-timer. The only reason the game was ever refered to as a RTS is marketing - RTS was hot at the time, TBS wasn't. The game was marketed as a unique, groundbreaking blend of RTS and TBS. pfft.
May 28, 2007 1:53:35 AM

Hey, where is Star Wars REPUBLIC COMMANDO? Amazing game, great graphics, it was like a more action oriented Full Spectrum Warrior set in the SW universe using Unreal tech. Definitely in the top 10 for me :D 
May 29, 2007 2:40:08 PM

Quote:
Hey, where is Star Wars REPUBLIC COMMANDO? Amazing game, great graphics, it was like a more action oriented Full Spectrum Warrior set in the SW universe using Unreal tech. Definitely in the top 10 for me :D 

Hmm...Republic Commando. Now that might have been an oversight. I knew that would happen. RC is damn good.
May 29, 2007 4:35:46 PM

I was also a big fan of SW: Rebellion (though when I bought it, it was still named Supremacy here in the UK ^^) - while the combat system was kinda lacking, it actually had the right scale of galaxy for a star wars strategy/management game.

While Empire at War gave an improved real-time space battle, and included decent enough ground combat, on the management side of things it just wasn't a big enough game - in a skirmish it really doesn't take long enough to conquer the couple dozen worlds the galaxy had to offer (40 something at max i think?)

Rebellion/Supremacy on the other hand gave you a total of 160 planets divided into 20 sectors to play with. Acting diplomatically to one planet in a sector would help boost your ratings with other planets, swaying them towards joining your faction. Likewise, your opponent could insight rebellion's your worlds, and if you didn't garrison them heavily enough or try to counter your opponents attempts the world would go into a state of uprising.

Basically, what the Star Wars games really need is a strategy game which has the scale and increased complexity of management that SW: Rebellion showed, but an improved combat system like those seen in Empire at War (though these were also limited in size ... i really wanted to send a proper fleet of mon cal cruisers against similar sized fleets of star destroyers ... only having at most 4 or so larger ships was a mistake imo).

Anyway, that's my $0.02 ^^
May 29, 2007 6:34:26 PM

Also you didnt mention KOTOR was both PC and XBOX. PC version had a few more different planets/items than the XBOX version
May 29, 2007 9:19:58 PM

Yeah the mechanics and gui tweaks of kotor 2 actually make it a better "game" than kotor 1 but the story is undeniably better in Kotor. Again Jedi Outcast's ommision is a travesty, fair enough you want to cover different genres but this is primarily a pc site so pc games should be the focus. I admit that JK2 takes too long to get going, and it's a bit toss till you get the lightsaber but when you do it's amazing. Again the story is not as good as jedi knight but the gameplay is better.
May 29, 2007 10:08:26 PM

I have a confession to make.
(pregnant pause)

I haven't played Jedi Outcast.
(GASP!)

I know, I know. I've been meaning to give a try for some time, but never got around to it. Well, I finally ordered it last week. Now seems like a good time since I'm in a Star Wars groove, and just as soon as I'm done spinning my wheels with STALKER, I'll fire it up.
May 29, 2007 10:27:58 PM

Jedi outcast is worth playing, it's not perfect by any means as there's the one named jedi to face but it's still really good fun, it's lost the appeal somewhat as the quake 3 engine is somewhat dated but it does pull out a pretty good engine from it.
May 29, 2007 10:31:55 PM

You missed out a few games such as pod racer (and the newer version, pod racer revenge), republic commando and the first and only MMORPG star wars galaxies.

Good review, would like to have seen a few more games mentioned...
May 30, 2007 12:33:29 PM

Where's Galaxies to? It might have had its fair share of problems and overhauls of which im not a fan but Ive never played another star wars game that immersed you so well in the star wars world certainly in its first and second incarnations you could "live" in the star wars galaxy without trying to be luke skywalker or darth vader.

That galaxies has become a shell of its former self does not take away from all that it once was.
May 30, 2007 2:54:37 PM

Galaxies is picking itself up again after the awful NGE modifications, it is not what it once was, but a lot that was lost in the NGE has been returned in one form or another and the latest update is starting to bring players back to the game in reasonable numbers.

The development team's leadership has changed with new staff taking over, and this change has meant a shift in development plans towards something the playerbase wants as the developers are now listening to the players on many issues. Saying that there are still balance issues with some "professions" being overpowered still, but with each chapter the different professions are balanced closer to each other. New content such as creature handler returning, improved NPC difficulty again and adding in more character variation with stat modifiers effecting a new range of stats has made the game a lot more popular with players and with hotfixes adding more minor changes the game has never been in such a good state since the NGE.

Anyone who left SWG due to the changes in the NGE should try it again now in it's current form. The old combat system can almost be brought back as auto targetting can be re-enabled in keymap options, and a toggalable auto fire can be started by going into keymap settings and re-enabling the options.
May 30, 2007 10:00:34 PM

They probably should have mentioned starwars galaxies, was a great game till they changed it to try and make it console friendly
May 31, 2007 6:54:54 AM

I have to say (against my better judgement) that Ep I: Racer was one of the best games I ever played- I finished it in a single night, but DAMN, that was a quality drunken single-player night of an experience.
The night before I finished Clive Barker's Undying and I was thinking, f**k, what do I do now?
The only other (PC) game I ever finished in one night since was Red Craption 2, so I thought it deserved a mention at least!
June 1, 2007 3:56:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah I was wondering because I'm playing that game for the first time right now! One great game I feel was left off the list was Republic Commando, which introduced intense squad combat.
June 2, 2007 12:12:48 AM

Quote:
My aboslute favorite star wars game is Jedi power battles for Ps1!! Did no one ever play it?

Ah man! I had that game! I don't ever remember finishing it, but me and some friends would play that all the time. Great game.

Speaking of more obscure Star Wars games....anyone ever play Star Wars: Droid Works or whatever it was called? That was certainly an interesting twist on the Star Wars universe.
August 17, 2008 2:25:07 PM

I think they need to do a part 3. Anyone else agree?
August 18, 2008 8:56:37 AM

Erm, I feel bad having to be the one to mention it but, Rogue Squadron anyone? Hell, even Rogue Leader (the gamecube sequel) was a good blast, albeit much much easier.

Played Rogue Squadron again about a year ago; damn old games were alot harder than nowadays ;) 
August 18, 2008 5:08:45 PM

Wow, dredging up a thread over a year old... Well, they should have done a part three, but now parts 1 and 2 are well out of memory.

Great games though.
!