Removing Hardware

When I boot my new XP (Hewlett-Packard) I get an icon on the right side of
the taskbar that when clicked allows me to "safely remove hardware" It
lists drives H, G, I and J These seem to be multi media inputs on the
front of the computer. I don't want to remove any and I don't want to have
that icon there, just in case I may accidentally remove those devices. How
do I keep that icon from showing up?

Thanks.

Chet

If you have the Hide Inactive Icons feature turned on, right click the Taskbar and select Properties, then Customize. Locate the Safely Remove Hardware entry and set it to Always Hide.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:ee$zpfEdEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> When I boot my new XP (Hewlett-Packard) I get an icon on the right side of
> the taskbar that when clicked allows me to "safely remove hardware" It
> lists drives H, G, I and J These seem to be multi media inputs on the
> front of the computer. I don't want to remove any and I don't want to have
> that icon there, just in case I may accidentally remove those devices. How
> do I keep that icon from showing up?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet

Thank you.

Chet

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
If you have the Hide Inactive Icons feature turned on, right click the
Taskbar and select Properties, then Customize. Locate the Safely Remove
Hardware entry and set it to Always Hide.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
> When I boot my new XP (Hewlett-Packard) I get an icon on the right side of
> the taskbar that when clicked allows me to "safely remove hardware" It
> lists drives H, G, I and J These seem to be multi media inputs on the
> front of the computer. I don't want to remove any and I don't want to
have
> that icon there, just in case I may accidentally remove those devices.
How
> do I keep that icon from showing up?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet

You're welcome. I've been digging into how to get rid of it in either case, without much success at this point.

"CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message news:eFO2VAFdEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Thank you.
>
> Chet
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message
> If you have the Hide Inactive Icons feature turned on, right click the
> Taskbar and select Properties, then Customize. Locate the Safely Remove
> Hardware entry and set it to Always Hide.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "CGB" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> When I boot my new XP (Hewlett-Packard) I get an icon on the right side of
>> the taskbar that when clicked allows me to "safely remove hardware" It
>> lists drives H, G, I and J These seem to be multi media inputs on the
>> front of the computer. I don't want to remove any and I don't want to
> have
>> that icon there, just in case I may accidentally remove those devices.
> How
>> do I keep that icon from showing up?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Chet

What if you try this and it is already set to "always hide"?