Why does my computer insist 3.53 volts I/O ?

Lord_Berek

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
For some reason the computer wont run stable unless the I/O voltage is cranked to 3.5 which then reads 3.53. Anything less and it gives an error upon booting into windows... not a BSOD or anything, but a small this file couldnt run or something I think. I have an Abit KT7A motherboard with a newly installed(but not new in itself) 1.2 Athlon which was in another system previously.

Temps check out and other voltages check out.

The system drops from 3dMark2001 after while (first 2 hours, then yesterday it gave an actual directx error that messed up the computer and I have to reboot) and other games. I also cannot patch properly the Earth & Beyond beta because it cause some sort of read error there. I have all the bios defaults set to fail-safe and have the latest bios installed.

Everything appears to be working, but it's still unstable for some reason.

Any advice would be appreciated, thnx.

Lord_Berek

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
Oh yeah, one more thing...

Is 3.53 safe?!

If it is I'm not going to worry about it... probably not my instability source then?

The 3.3 volt line also supplys the memory voltage. The symptoms you describe appear to be memory errors. So it appears your memory needs the extra voltage to be stable.

Dont worry about the 3.53volts. It is still within 10% of the default voltage. I've been running mine at 3.74v for about a year and a half now with no problems.Although I overclock and needed the jump for stability above 150fsb.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Lord_Berek

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
Thnx, that probably is the case.

Im not sure about another computer that I have, being an Athlon Xp in a Abit KT7 motherboard as well...

I heard it doesnt work so Im getting another Iwill XP333r motherboard with 512 megs chip DDR Registered PC2100 Crucial/Micron.

Maybe i'll try 3.6v I/O if it's safe...