Can Samsung i700 cell phone/pda do "Verizon wireless sync"..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,alt.cellular.verizon,comp.sys.mac.comm (More info?)

I'm considering buying a samsung i700 cell phone/pda. Verizon has this thing
called "wireless sync" where, as near as I can tell, it gets to sync info to
a desktop computer remotely (through the Verizon network). I know the phone
can sync to a Macintosh via USB using 3rd party software like Missing Sync.
My question is: can the phone do "wireless sync" to a Mac? Please cc: any
thoughts to mlevin77@comcast.net. Thanks!

--

Mike Levin
mlevin77@comcast.net

    In article <BCC5AD95.16A30%mlevin77@comcast.net>, Michael Levin
    <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I'm considering buying a samsung i700 cell phone/pda. Verizon has this thing
    > called "wireless sync" where, as near as I can tell, it gets to sync info to
    > a desktop computer remotely (through the Verizon network). I know the phone
    > can sync to a Macintosh via USB using 3rd party software like Missing Sync.
    > My question is: can the phone do "wireless sync" to a Mac? Please cc: any
    > thoughts to mlevin77@comcast.net. Thanks!

    We support Bluetooth, WiFi (TCP/Network) and USB sync with Missing
    Sync, although from your description, that may not be the same as
    "Verizon Wireless Sync". However it does mean that you can sync over
    TCP/WiFi/Network with Missing Sync same as you would over USB.

    For more info see http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_pocketpc.html
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,alt.cellular.verizon,comp.sys.mac.comm (More info?)

    > In article <BCC5AD95.16A30%mlevin77@comcast.net>, Michael Levin
    <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I'm considering buying a samsung i700 cell phone/pda. Verizon has
    > this thing called "wireless sync" where, as near as I can tell, it
    > gets to sync info to a desktop computer remotely (through the
    > Verizon network). I know the phone can sync to a Macintosh via USB
    > using 3rd party software like Missing Sync. My question is: can the
    > phone do "wireless sync" to a Mac? Please cc: any thoughts to
    > mlevin77@comcast.net. Thanks!

    Just for your info, we use the Samsung i700's and have a wireless network at
    work. Several vendors make 802.11 cards that work fine with em, that allows
    you to be on any wireless networks or hotspots you run across, or to get on
    verizon's wireless thing (via cell) when no wireless LAN is available.

    The wacky thing is, trying to explain the difference between 802.11 and cell
    connections (they are both called wireless), Even stranger, verizon wireless
    (and maybe others) also have what they call Wi-Fi service (but only on
    certain phones, and not the i700), in addition to their normal wireless
    (phone) service (and not to be confused by their Broadband
    service)....Acccck!

    To answer the question posed in the Subject (i700 and wireless synch with a
    Mac), I used to use the activesynch stuff on an i600 and a USB cradle (free
    from Microsoft), and using an 802.11 wireless network at work along with the
    i700 is way way way better than that.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,alt.cellular.verizon,comp.sys.mac.comm (More info?)

    On 5/11/04 3:12 PM, in article
    110520041212130717%brian_hall@markspace.delete.com, "Brian Hall"
    <brian_hall@markspace.delete.com> wrote:

    > In article <BCC5AD95.16A30%mlevin77@comcast.net>, Michael Levin
    > <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm considering buying a samsung i700 cell phone/pda. Verizon has this thing
    >> called "wireless sync" where, as near as I can tell, it gets to sync info to
    >> a desktop computer remotely (through the Verizon network). I know the phone
    >> can sync to a Macintosh via USB using 3rd party software like Missing Sync.
    >> My question is: can the phone do "wireless sync" to a Mac? Please cc: any
    >> thoughts to mlevin77@comcast.net. Thanks!
    >
    > We support Bluetooth, WiFi (TCP/Network) and USB sync with Missing
    > Sync, although from your description, that may not be the same as
    > "Verizon Wireless Sync". However it does mean that you can sync over
    > TCP/WiFi/Network with Missing Sync same as you would over USB.
    >
    > For more info see http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_pocketpc.html

    So, this software allows me to sync over the network (if I and my phone
    are on the road, and the Missing Sync is installed on my machine at home)?
    If so, that's great (better than "Wireless Sync" because it goes directly to
    my desktop, not through Verizon's servers). But here's the question: does it
    work over the whole net or only on a LAN inside my house? For example, my
    desktop is on the web via a cablemodem with a dynamic address which changes
    daily. How does the phone find my desktop if I'm outside my own LAN (in a
    different town, say)? Don't I have to have a static IP address for the phone
    to be able to connect to my desktop?

    And, a different question: does your software do Entourage info?
    Everything I have is in Entourage, not in iCal or the default addressbook.

    Thanks for the info,

    Mike
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,alt.cellular.verizon,comp.sys.mac.comm (More info?)

    On 5/11/04 5:30 PM, in article 2gcuvoF1em9uU1@uni-berlin.de, "Peter Pan"
    <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:

    >> In article <BCC5AD95.16A30%mlevin77@comcast.net>, Michael Levin
    > <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm considering buying a samsung i700 cell phone/pda. Verizon has
    >> this thing called "wireless sync" where, as near as I can tell, it
    >> gets to sync info to a desktop computer remotely (through the
    >> Verizon network). I know the phone can sync to a Macintosh via USB
    >> using 3rd party software like Missing Sync. My question is: can the
    >> phone do "wireless sync" to a Mac? Please cc: any thoughts to
    >> mlevin77@comcast.net. Thanks!
    >
    > Just for your info, we use the Samsung i700's and have a wireless network at
    > work. Several vendors make 802.11 cards that work fine with em, that allows
    > you to be on any wireless networks or hotspots you run across, or to get on
    > verizon's wireless thing (via cell) when no wireless LAN is available.
    >
    > The wacky thing is, trying to explain the difference between 802.11 and cell
    > connections (they are both called wireless), Even stranger, verizon wireless
    > (and maybe others) also have what they call Wi-Fi service (but only on
    > certain phones, and not the i700), in addition to their normal wireless
    > (phone) service (and not to be confused by their Broadband
    > service)....Acccck!
    >
    > To answer the question posed in the Subject (i700 and wireless synch with a
    > Mac), I used to use the activesynch stuff on an i600 and a USB cradle (free
    > from Microsoft), and using an 802.11 wireless network at work along with the
    > i700 is way way way better than that.

    A question about activesync over the network (802.11): would it work
    over the whole net or only on a LAN inside my house? For example, my desktop
    at home is on the net via a cablemodem connection, with a dynamic IP address
    which changes daily. How does the phone find my desktop if I'm outside my
    own LAN (in a different town, say)? Don't I have to have a static IP address
    for the phone to be able to connect to my desktop? How does that work?

    Mike
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,alt.cellular.verizon,comp.sys.mac.comm (More info?)

    "Michael Levin" <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > On 5/11/04 5:30 PM, in article 2gcuvoF1em9uU1@uni-berlin.de, "Peter
    > Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@Hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> In article <BCC5AD95.16A30%mlevin77@comcast.net>, Michael Levin
    >>> <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm considering buying a samsung i700 cell phone/pda. Verizon has
    >>> this thing called "wireless sync" where, as near as I can tell, it
    >>> gets to sync info to a desktop computer remotely (through the
    >>> Verizon network). I know the phone can sync to a Macintosh via USB
    >>> using 3rd party software like Missing Sync. My question is: can the
    >>> phone do "wireless sync" to a Mac? Please cc: any thoughts to
    >>> mlevin77@comcast.net. Thanks!
    >>
    >> Just for your info, we use the Samsung i700's and have a wireless
    >> network at work. Several vendors make 802.11 cards that work fine
    >> with em, that allows you to be on any wireless networks or hotspots
    >> you run across, or to get on verizon's wireless thing (via cell)
    >> when no wireless LAN is available.
    >>
    >> The wacky thing is, trying to explain the difference between 802.11
    >> and cell connections (they are both called wireless), Even stranger,
    >> verizon wireless (and maybe others) also have what they call Wi-Fi
    >> service (but only on certain phones, and not the i700), in addition
    >> to their normal wireless (phone) service (and not to be confused by
    >> their Broadband service)....Acccck!
    >>
    >> To answer the question posed in the Subject (i700 and wireless synch
    >> with a Mac), I used to use the activesynch stuff on an i600 and a
    >> USB cradle (free from Microsoft), and using an 802.11 wireless
    >> network at work along with the i700 is way way way better than that.
    >
    > A question about activesync over the network (802.11): would it
    > work over the whole net or only on a LAN inside my house? For
    > example, my desktop at home is on the net via a cablemodem
    > connection, with a dynamic IP address which changes daily. How does
    > the phone find my desktop if I'm outside my own LAN (in a different
    > town, say)? Don't I have to have a static IP address for the phone to
    > be able to connect to my desktop? How does that work?
    >
    > Mike

    The Activesync program (on the i700, free from Microsoft, only works on the
    i700 with a USB cradle or cell connection), as far as I know does NOT work
    on 802.11 at all. (went to another synch program and never tried it after we
    switched).

    As for IP address's etc, at work we have data files that are maintained on
    our in-house system, and updated (between 8 and 6) by our main in-house
    system (basically an FTP upload) to our ISP/user area. That allows people
    without a PDA to access them too (the salespeople have cd's and our
    customers can inquire into our database for availability/shipping info etc).
    Not the best way now, but at the time cable was available, dsl wasn't and
    would have required a dedicated line. The desktop (hardwired connection) can
    only be found with great difficulty, and the wireless connections (from
    laptops etc) can't usually be found, so I'm not aware of any program that
    allows you to access whatever device may be temporarily connected
    wirelessly.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,alt.cellular.verizon,comp.sys.mac.comm (More info?)

    with a Dynamic Ip your are going to be hard pressed to get to your desktop
    from your I700 when you are away. You would nee to use something like
    dynamic DNS (dynDNS.org) and then have a way to make it look like you are on
    the LAN (either through VPN or IPSEC) since it needs the plain machine name
    to Active Sync (maybe Missing Sync is different), it can't use an IP or a
    full DNS name. The reason Verizon offers "Wireless Sync" is because it was
    the easiest way to avoid all of these headaches (just have your home machine
    scheduled to periodically upload email and contacts, etc to a server that is
    accessible from your phone). Of course I don't see anything about that
    specific software running on a Mac so you may be out of luck unless you can
    get a tunnel into your home LAN working as mentioned above.

    > On 5/11/04 3:12 PM, in article
    > 110520041212130717%brian_hall@markspace.delete.com, "Brian Hall"
    > <brian_hall@markspace.delete.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <BCC5AD95.16A30%mlevin77@comcast.net>, Michael Levin
    > > <mlevin77@comcast.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm considering buying a samsung i700 cell phone/pda. Verizon has this
    thing
    > >> called "wireless sync" where, as near as I can tell, it gets to sync
    info to
    > >> a desktop computer remotely (through the Verizon network). I know the
    phone
    > >> can sync to a Macintosh via USB using 3rd party software like Missing
    Sync.
    > >> My question is: can the phone do "wireless sync" to a Mac? Please cc:
    any
    > >> thoughts to mlevin77@comcast.net. Thanks!
    > >
    > > We support Bluetooth, WiFi (TCP/Network) and USB sync with Missing
    > > Sync, although from your description, that may not be the same as
    > > "Verizon Wireless Sync". However it does mean that you can sync over
    > > TCP/WiFi/Network with Missing Sync same as you would over USB.
    > >
    > > For more info see http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_pocketpc.html
    >
    > So, this software allows me to sync over the network (if I and my phone
    > are on the road, and the Missing Sync is installed on my machine at home)?
    > If so, that's great (better than "Wireless Sync" because it goes directly
    > my desktop, not through Verizon's servers). But here's the question: does
    it
    > work over the whole net or only on a LAN inside my house? For example, my
    > desktop is on the web via a cablemodem with a dynamic address which
    changes
    > daily. How does the phone find my desktop if I'm outside my own LAN (in a
    > different town, say)? Don't I have to have a static IP address for the
    phone
    > to be able to connect to my desktop?
    >
    > And, a different question: does your software do Entourage info?
    > Everything I have is in Entourage, not in iCal or the default addressbook.
    >
    > Thanks for the info,
    >
    > Mike

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless,microsoft.public.pocketpc.phone_edition,alt.cellular.verizon,comp.sys.mac.comm (More info?)

    On 5/12/04 5:28 PM, in article O7LAagGOEHA.904@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl, "Steve
    Carr" <scarr@bastyr.edu.NOSPAM> wrote:

    > with a Dynamic Ip your are going to be hard pressed to get to your desktop
    > from your I700 when you are away. You would nee to use something like
    > dynamic DNS (dynDNS.org) and then have a way to make it look like you are on
    > the LAN (either through VPN or IPSEC) since it needs the plain machine name
    > to Active Sync (maybe Missing Sync is different), it can't use an IP or a
    > full DNS name. The reason Verizon offers "Wireless Sync" is because it was
    > the easiest way to avoid all of these headaches (just have your home machine
    > scheduled to periodically upload email and contacts, etc to a server that is
    > accessible from your phone). Of course I don't see anything about that
    > specific software running on a Mac so you may be out of luck unless you can
    > get a tunnel into your home LAN working as mentioned above.

    I see. Do you know the name of the software that the PC would run to
    participate in Wireless Sync? I'll take a look and see if it exists on Macs,
    or if I can run it on Virtual PC running on a Mac. What is it called?

    Mike

    --

    Mike Levin
    mlevin77@comcast.net

    you'd get it from Verizon, it is called something like
    verizonwirelesssync.exe
> [...]
    home)?
    > >> If so, that's great (better than "Wireless Sync" because it goes
    directly
    > >> my desktop, not through Verizon's servers). But here's the question:
    does
    > > it
    > >> work over the whole net or only on a LAN inside my house? For example,
    my
    > >> desktop is on the web via a cablemodem with a dynamic address which
    > > changes
    > >> daily. How does the phone find my desktop if I'm outside my own LAN (in
    > >> different town, say)? Don't I have to have a static IP address for the
    > > phone
    > >> to be able to connect to my desktop?
    > >>
    > >> And, a different question: does your software do Entourage info?
    > >> Everything I have is in Entourage, not in iCal or the default

Verizon Wireless Microsoft Macintosh Internet Service Providers