Unable to use CD & DVD drives

David

I am using XP Home. In the last couple of days I have just found that
the CD burner & DVD burner have become inaccessible. When trying to
see the contents on a CD I get:-

"G:\ (or H:\ which is the DVD) is not accessible
Incorrect Function"

When I attach an external Pioneer SK12 DVD burner, which works just
fine with my laptop, I get a "New hardware found" pop-up, followed by
"The new hardware is installed and ready to use." Sounds good, but...
Inserting a DVD produces the following:

"I:\ Is not accessible
The request is not supported."

Each time I insert a disk into any of the drives the CD icon flashes
in Windows Explorer a few times as though the disk is being read, then
the disk spins down. This happens with commercial disks and ones I
have burned on these drives.

My AV is updated automatically, and ZA appears to be working, Any
suggestions? Device Manager shows that both drives are "Working
Correctly" Hmmmmm!

David

curt

Open the properties of the drive you want to use. On the recording tab, make
sure "enable recording" is selected.

Curt.

"David" <rhinds_no_spam_@cwnet.com> wrote in message
> I am using XP Home. In the last couple of days I have just found that
> the CD burner & DVD burner have become inaccessible. When trying to
> see the contents on a CD I get:-
>
> "G:\ (or H:\ which is the DVD) is not accessible
> Incorrect Function"
>
> When I attach an external Pioneer SK12 DVD burner, which works just
> fine with my laptop, I get a "New hardware found" pop-up, followed by
> "The new hardware is installed and ready to use." Sounds good, but...
> Inserting a DVD produces the following:
>
> "I:\ Is not accessible
> The request is not supported."
>
> Each time I insert a disk into any of the drives the CD icon flashes
> in Windows Explorer a few times as though the disk is being read, then
> the disk spins down. This happens with commercial disks and ones I
> have burned on these drives.
>
> My AV is updated automatically, and ZA appears to be working, Any
> suggestions? Device Manager shows that both drives are "Working
> Correctly" Hmmmmm!
>

> David

David

Strangely the "enable recording" had been de-selected, but I never did
this, why would anyone want to? Unfortunately selecting it doesn't
change anything, just get the same error messages when I insert any
disk.

Anyone have another suggestion? Please!

David

>Open the properties of the drive you want to use. On the recording tab, make
>sure "enable recording" is selected.
>
>Curt.
>
>"David" <rhinds_no_spam_@cwnet.com> wrote in message
>> I am using XP Home. In the last couple of days I have just found that
>> the CD burner & DVD burner have become inaccessible. When trying to
>> see the contents on a CD I get:-
>>
>> "G:\ (or H:\ which is the DVD) is not accessible
>> Incorrect Function"
>>
>> When I attach an external Pioneer SK12 DVD burner, which works just
>> fine with my laptop, I get a "New hardware found" pop-up, followed by
>> "The new hardware is installed and ready to use." Sounds good, but...
>> Inserting a DVD produces the following:
>>
>> "I:\ Is not accessible
>> The request is not supported."
>>
>> Each time I insert a disk into any of the drives the CD icon flashes
>> in Windows Explorer a few times as though the disk is being read, then
>> the disk spins down. This happens with commercial disks and ones I
>> have burned on these drives.
>>
>> My AV is updated automatically, and ZA appears to be working, Any
>> suggestions? Device Manager shows that both drives are "Working
>> Correctly" Hmmmmm!
>>

>> David

Same problem, all of a sudden. Recording tab is enabled. Registry
shows drive type as 02. In addition to symptons others describe, when
I insert a blank cd in the drive (PlexWriter 48/24/48U) and close the
drawer, the drive spins just a bit, light flashes and then a msg box
pops up saying
Windows Explorer:
H: is not accessible. Incorrect Function.

Have tried several brands of CD. Have never had 3rd party recording
software on this PC (have used native XP burning function, which suits
my limited needs).

Sure hope someone has figured this out!

Thanks, Robert Leavitt

David <rhinds_no_spam_@cwnet.com> wrote in message news:<bi4gg0dgo7jh3a94ti0j0tvmf3e1tvvmq1@4ax.com>...
> Strangely the "enable recording" had been de-selected, but I never did
> this, why would anyone want to? Unfortunately selecting it doesn't
> change anything, just get the same error messages when I insert any
> disk.
>
> Anyone have another suggestion? Please!
>
> David
>
> >Open the properties of the drive you want to use. On the recording tab, make
> >sure "enable recording" is selected.
> >
> >Curt.
> >
> >"David" <rhinds_no_spam_@cwnet.com> wrote in message
> >> I am using XP Home. In the last couple of days I have just found that
> >> the CD burner & DVD burner have become inaccessible. When trying to
> >> see the contents on a CD I get:-
> >>
> >> "G:\ (or H:\ which is the DVD) is not accessible
> >> Incorrect Function"
> >>
> >> When I attach an external Pioneer SK12 DVD burner, which works just
> >> fine with my laptop, I get a "New hardware found" pop-up, followed by
> >> "The new hardware is installed and ready to use." Sounds good, but...
> >> Inserting a DVD produces the following:
> >>
> >> "I:\ Is not accessible
> >> The request is not supported."
> >>
> >> Each time I insert a disk into any of the drives the CD icon flashes
> >> in Windows Explorer a few times as though the disk is being read, then
> >> the disk spins down. This happens with commercial disks and ones I
> >> have burned on these drives.
> >>
> >> My AV is updated automatically, and ZA appears to be working, Any
> >> suggestions? Device Manager shows that both drives are "Working
> >> Correctly" Hmmmmm!
> >>

> >> David

TRENDING THREADS