When to re-install all programs?

I have been having alot of problems with my computer being
infected with spyware, adware, hijackers, cookies, etc. I
think I have removed alot or most - I think - and another
anti-virus, Norton's. I have also had messages reading
memory leaks are in some of my software programs. Both of
these problems have brought up different programs that
could fix it or scan it or something. I think I definately
had bugs but I don't know how many. I need alot of help
getting into my computer to see exactly what is going on,
from every angle, and fix it. I am getting extremely
confussed and pissed off - to be exact!! HELP ME PLEASE!
9 answers Last reply
More about when install programs

    If the problem is that severe and you are that upset, have you thought of
    backing up your personal data and just formatting the drive and reloading?

    --
    Best of luck!

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    "babygirl" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been having alot of problems with my computer being
    > infected with spyware, adware, hijackers, cookies, etc. I
    > think I have removed alot or most - I think - and another
    > anti-virus, Norton's. I have also had messages reading
    > memory leaks are in some of my software programs. Both of
    > these problems have brought up different programs that
    > could fix it or scan it or something. I think I definately
    > had bugs but I don't know how many. I need alot of help
    > getting into my computer to see exactly what is going on,
    > from every angle, and fix it. I am getting extremely
    > confussed and pissed off - to be exact!! HELP ME PLEASE!

    How should I back up personal data and format the drive
    and reload. I know some about computers but sometimes
    certain words or phrases are used and I get confussed. I'm
    really not stupid. These problems have had me on this
    computer for over a week now - and I don't want anything
    to happen to my computer. Very Expensive!

    Just because you do not understand something does not make you stupid. I
    will try to keep it simple. What is your biggest problem, on your computer,
    that you are experience now? I see that you mentioned something about memory
    leaks -- is that it?

    --
    Best of luck!

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    > How should I back up personal data and format the drive
    > and reload. I know some about computers but sometimes
    > certain words or phrases are used and I get confussed. I'm
    > really not stupid. These problems have had me on this
    > computer for over a week now - and I don't want anything
    > to happen to my computer. Very Expensive!

    I am told that I probably have spyware on my browser and
    in my comp. and that I also haveadware, dialer, hijacker
    and lots of tracking cookies. I have also received
    messages that i have memory leaks. All of these are
    messages I have been reciving. and another spyware program
    deletes (suposedly). And other spyware and adware programs
    seem to find others. Some places that are supose to be
    infected that I have wrote down are: Program Files,
    Documents,Windows, and some infections that was not able
    to be deleted Files, Folders, Processes, Registry Keys,
    Registry Values, and Cookies. Does this help u to
    understand some of what I am trying to say?

    It sounds like you have a pretty big infestation of spyware alright. Here
    are a couple of spyware programs I use. See if they help for you.

    Ad-Aware -

    SpyBot -
    http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022-10289035.html?tag=lst-0-3

    Pest
    Patrol --http://www.download.com/PestPatrol/3000-2092-10186852.html?tag=lst-
    0-1

    It may take a couple of scans to get everything. There are more detailed and
    advanced ways of removing spyware, but I am not sure that you are up for it.
    It solely depends how familar you are with you knowledge of computers.

    --
    Best of luck!

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    > I am told that I probably have spyware on my browser and
    > in my comp. and that I also haveadware, dialer, hijacker
    > and lots of tracking cookies. I have also received
    > messages that i have memory leaks. All of these are
    > messages I have been reciving. and another spyware program
    > deletes (suposedly). And other spyware and adware programs
    > seem to find others. Some places that are supose to be
    > infected that I have wrote down are: Program Files,
    > Documents,Windows, and some infections that was not able
    > to be deleted Files, Folders, Processes, Registry Keys,
    > Registry Values, and Cookies. Does this help u to
    > understand some of what I am trying to say?

    I have already installed Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D but not
    Pest Patrol. I have been trying to download Win Patrol but
    it won't let me. I can give the message if you like.

    part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

    >SpyBot -
    >http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022-
    10289035.html?tag=lst-0-3

    >Pest
    >Patrol --http://www.download.com/PestPatrol/3000-2092-
    10186852.html?tag=lst-
    >0-1
    >
    >It may take a couple of scans to get everything. There
    are more detailed and
    >advanced ways of removing spyware, but I am not sure that
    you are up for it.
    >It solely depends how familar you are with you knowledge
    of computers.

    >--
    >Best of luck!
    >
    >Michael D. Alligood
    >MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    >Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    >> I am told that I probably have spyware on my browser and
    >> in my comp. and that I also haveadware, dialer, hijacker
    >> and lots of tracking cookies. I have also received
    >> messages that i have memory leaks. All of these are
    >> messages I have been reciving. and another spyware
    program
    >> deletes (suposedly). And other spyware and adware
    programs
    >> seem to find others. Some places that are supose to be
    >> infected that I have wrote down are: Program Files,
    >> Documents,Windows, and some infections that was not able
    >> to be deleted Files, Folders, Processes, Registry Keys,
    >> Registry Values, and Cookies. Does this help u to
    >> understand some of what I am trying to say?

    I have never used Win Patrol, so I cannot comment on that program. Three
    questions:
    (1) Have you performed a Disk Cleanup -- Click
    Start--Programs--Accessories--System Tools--Disk Cleanup? (2) Have you
    updated both Ad-Aware and SpyBot?
    (3) Have you executed, or ran these programs from Safe Mode?

    --
    Best of luck!

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:06:56 -0700, babygirl wrote:

    > I have also had messages reading
    > memory leaks are in some of my software programs.

    What tool is giving the messages about memory leaks? Do you trust this tool
    to be accurate?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Are you only getting these "messages" when you are online? If so, you
    definately have malware that has hijacked your computer and possibly have
    contracted a virus due to them.
    "babygirl" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have also had messages reading
    > memory leaks are in some of my software programs.!

Windows XP