When to re-install all programs?

Tags:
  • Windows XP
July 28, 2004 1:06:56 AM

I have been having alot of problems with my computer being
infected with spyware, adware, hijackers, cookies, etc. I
think I have removed alot or most - I think - and another
anti-virus, Norton's. I have also had messages reading
memory leaks are in some of my software programs. Both of
these problems have brought up different programs that
could fix it or scan it or something. I think I definately
had bugs but I don't know how many. I need alot of help
getting into my computer to see exactly what is going on,
from every angle, and fix it. I am getting extremely
confussed and pissed off - to be exact!! HELP ME PLEASE!

More about : install programs

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:13:45 AM

If the problem is that severe and you are that upset, have you thought of
backing up your personal data and just formatting the drive and reloading?

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

"babygirl" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been having alot of problems with my computer being
> infected with spyware, adware, hijackers, cookies, etc. I
> think I have removed alot or most - I think - and another
> anti-virus, Norton's. I have also had messages reading
> memory leaks are in some of my software programs. Both of
> these problems have brought up different programs that
> could fix it or scan it or something. I think I definately
> had bugs but I don't know how many. I need alot of help
> getting into my computer to see exactly what is going on,
> from every angle, and fix it. I am getting extremely
> confussed and pissed off - to be exact!! HELP ME PLEASE!
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:13:46 AM

How should I back up personal data and format the drive
and reload. I know some about computers but sometimes
certain words or phrases are used and I get confussed. I'm
really not stupid. These problems have had me on this
computer for over a week now - and I don't want anything
to happen to my computer. Very Expensive!

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:37:21 AM

Just because you do not understand something does not make you stupid. I
will try to keep it simple. What is your biggest problem, on your computer,
that you are experience now? I see that you mentioned something about memory
leaks -- is that it?

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

> How should I back up personal data and format the drive
> and reload. I know some about computers but sometimes
> certain words or phrases are used and I get confussed. I'm
> really not stupid. These problems have had me on this
> computer for over a week now - and I don't want anything
> to happen to my computer. Very Expensive!

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 4:37:22 AM

I am told that I probably have spyware on my browser and
in my comp. and that I also haveadware, dialer, hijacker
and lots of tracking cookies. I have also received
messages that i have memory leaks. All of these are
messages I have been reciving. and another spyware program
deletes (suposedly). And other spyware and adware programs
seem to find others. Some places that are supose to be
infected that I have wrote down are: Program Files,
Documents,Windows, and some infections that was not able
to be deleted Files, Folders, Processes, Registry Keys,
Registry Values, and Cookies. Does this help u to
understand some of what I am trying to say?

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:33:17 AM

It sounds like you have a pretty big infestation of spyware alright. Here
are a couple of spyware programs I use. See if they help for you.

Ad-Aware -
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

SpyBot -
http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022...

Pest
Patrol --http://www.download.com/PestPatrol/3000-2092-10186852.h...
0-1

It may take a couple of scans to get everything. There are more detailed and
advanced ways of removing spyware, but I am not sure that you are up for it.
It solely depends how familar you are with you knowledge of computers.

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

> I am told that I probably have spyware on my browser and
> in my comp. and that I also haveadware, dialer, hijacker
> and lots of tracking cookies. I have also received
> messages that i have memory leaks. All of these are
> messages I have been reciving. and another spyware program
> deletes (suposedly). And other spyware and adware programs
> seem to find others. Some places that are supose to be
> infected that I have wrote down are: Program Files,
> Documents,Windows, and some infections that was not able
> to be deleted Files, Folders, Processes, Registry Keys,
> Registry Values, and Cookies. Does this help u to
> understand some of what I am trying to say?

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:33:18 AM

I have already installed Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D but not
Pest Patrol. I have been trying to download Win Patrol but
it won't let me. I can give the message if you like.

part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button

>SpyBot -
>http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022...
10289035.html?tag=lst-0-3

>Pest
>Patrol --http://www.download.com/PestPatrol/3000-2092-
10186852.html?tag=lst-
>0-1
>
>It may take a couple of scans to get everything. There
are more detailed and
>advanced ways of removing spyware, but I am not sure that
you are up for it.
>It solely depends how familar you are with you knowledge
of computers.

>--
>Best of luck!
>
>Michael D. Alligood
>MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
>Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

>> I am told that I probably have spyware on my browser and
>> in my comp. and that I also haveadware, dialer, hijacker
>> and lots of tracking cookies. I have also received
>> messages that i have memory leaks. All of these are
>> messages I have been reciving. and another spyware
program
>> deletes (suposedly). And other spyware and adware
programs
>> seem to find others. Some places that are supose to be
>> infected that I have wrote down are: Program Files,
>> Documents,Windows, and some infections that was not able
>> to be deleted Files, Folders, Processes, Registry Keys,
>> Registry Values, and Cookies. Does this help u to
>> understand some of what I am trying to say?

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 5:54:26 AM

I have never used Win Patrol, so I cannot comment on that program. Three
questions:
(1) Have you performed a Disk Cleanup -- Click
Start--Programs--Accessories--System Tools--Disk Cleanup? (2) Have you
updated both Ad-Aware and SpyBot?
(3) Have you executed, or ran these programs from Safe Mode?

--
Best of luck!

Michael D. Alligood
MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

> I have already installed Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D but not
> Pest Patrol. I have been trying to download Win Patrol but
> it won't let me. I can give the message if you like.

Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:18:47 PM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:06:56 -0700, babygirl wrote:

> I have also had messages reading
> memory leaks are in some of my software programs.

What tool is giving the messages about memory leaks? Do you trust this tool
to be accurate?

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Are you only getting these "messages" when you are online? If so, you
definately have malware that has hijacked your computer and possibly have
contracted a virus due to them.