Starting Windows XP

When I start-up my computer, so many things are running in the background. I don't know what they are. I do know that I do not want some of them to run/open, such as Kodak EasyShare or Money Express. How can I remove them from the start-up sequence?

Also, can I order the sequence of the start-up? For example, my computer opens AIM and MSN Messenger BEFORE it opens Norton System Works. I think it is safer to have the NAV active before I open these 2 areas. Am I right? How is it done?

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about starting windows

    Go to "Run" in the start menu and type "msconfig". There
    should be a "Startup" tab in the window that pops up.
    Deselect any program you do not want to run at startup.

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 04:29:01 -0700, Lefty In NY wrote:

    > When I start-up my computer, so many things are running in the
    > background. I don't know what they are. I do know that I do not want
    > some of them to run/open, such as Kodak EasyShare or Money Express. How
    > can I remove them from the start-up sequence?
    >
    > Also, can I order the sequence of the start-up? For example, my
    > computer opens AIM and MSN Messenger BEFORE it opens Norton System
    > Works. I think it is safer to have the NAV active before I open these
    > 2 areas. Am I right? How is it done?
    >
    > Thanks

    While you can force a program not to load via MSCONFIG, many programs have
    menus in the main program that allow you to configure their startup
    behavior. If the option is available, I prefer to disable the program from
    this location.

    As for the order of loading programs, there is no way that I know of to
    control this. May want to disable the automatic startup of AIM and
    Messenger. After NAV has loaded, start the programs manually. Shortcuts for
    both messaging programs in the Quick Launch toolbar would help to make this
    workaround a bit more convenient.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    noone is mentioning that using msconfig gives you the option of Normal
    startup and also selective startup--if you uncheck items in the startup tab
    under normal startup they will restart when you load Windows the next time.
    You can use Selective startup and remove the tick marks from programs you do
    not want to start--you will then get a display stating you have changed the
    start process and you then decide if you want to keep using selective start
    or normal--if you use Normal--the programs will start again---at least this
    happens with the Kodak Easyshare software. I can stop them from starting
    using selective start but if I check the Normal start in msconfig--they will
    start again--even though I thought they would not since I unchecked them in
    the start tab.

    "Sam Weber" wrote:

    > Go to "Run" in the start menu and type "msconfig". There
    > should be a "Startup" tab in the window that pops up.
    > Deselect any program you do not want to run at startup.

    I'm not sure what you don't understand about the difference between Normal
    and Selective. Normal loads all your programs at startup. Selective, is
    just that, you select what you want at startup. You cannot have the best
    of both worlds, either you have Selective startup, or you have Normal. You
    cannot select only a few things from the Selective Startup AND have Normal
    selected. Which ever you select last will negate your first choice. You
    seem to be confused about what the startup tab is in conjunction with the
    type of startup options you have.
    Your choices listed on the General tab in msconfig are you choices for your
    startup, Normal, Selective, and Diagnostic. The Items on the 'Startup Tab'
    are programs that will load when you start Windows.
    What you choose from there determines what loads, and who decides what loads
    at startup. If you choose normal, you don't decide what loads at startup,
    Windows xp does.
    If you want to decide and control what loads at startup, then you pick
    selective. Now this only changes the programs that load when you start
    Windows, everything else runs Normally, however, you are still in a
    'Selective' startup as far as programs that load when Windows starts.

    "Country" <Country@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > noone is mentioning that using msconfig gives you the option of Normal
    > startup and also selective startup--if you uncheck items in the startup
    > tab
    > under normal startup they will restart when you load Windows the next
    > time.
    > You can use Selective startup and remove the tick marks from programs you
    > do
    > not want to start--you will then get a display stating you have changed
    > the
    > start process and you then decide if you want to keep using selective
    > start
    > or normal--if you use Normal--the programs will start again---at least
    > this
    > happens with the Kodak Easyshare software. I can stop them from starting
    > using selective start but if I check the Normal start in msconfig--they
    > will
    > start again--even though I thought they would not since I unchecked them
    > in
    > the start tab.
    >
    > "Sam Weber" wrote:
    >
    >> Go to "Run" in the start menu and type "msconfig". There
    >> should be a "Startup" tab in the window that pops up.
    >> Deselect any program you do not want to run at startup.

    If you do not want to use Selective Start and prevent the Kodak Easyshare
    software from starting ---do not use the MSCONFIG process----you can go to
    Start-----All programs---Startup folder--which will contain the two Kodak
    programs--right click on each and delete--this does not remove the programs
    --but will stop them from starting up when Windows is loaded. You can them
    manually start the Easyshare program when needed. You did not use
    Msconfig---you did not change your startup process from Normal to
    Selective--if you want to use Selective --fine--you can do that--either way
    will work. I did not want to use Selective--you may.

    "lvee" wrote:

    > I'm not sure what you don't understand about the difference between Normal
    > and Selective. Normal loads all your programs at startup. Selective, is
    > just that, you select what you want at startup. You cannot have the best
    > of both worlds, either you have Selective startup, or you have Normal. You
    > cannot select only a few things from the Selective Startup AND have Normal
    > selected. Which ever you select last will negate your first choice. You
    > seem to be confused about what the startup tab is in conjunction with the
    > type of startup options you have.
    > Your choices listed on the General tab in msconfig are you choices for your
    > startup, Normal, Selective, and Diagnostic. The Items on the 'Startup Tab'
    > are programs that will load when you start Windows.
    > What you choose from there determines what loads, and who decides what loads
    > at startup. If you choose normal, you don't decide what loads at startup,
    > Windows xp does.
    > If you want to decide and control what loads at startup, then you pick
    > selective. Now this only changes the programs that load when you start
    > Windows, everything else runs Normally, however, you are still in a
    > 'Selective' startup as far as programs that load when Windows starts.
    >
    > "Country" <Country@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > noone is mentioning that using msconfig gives you the option of Normal
    > > startup and also selective startup--if you uncheck items in the startup
    > > tab
    > > under normal startup they will restart when you load Windows the next
    > > time.
    > > You can use Selective startup and remove the tick marks from programs you
    > > do
    > > not want to start--you will then get a display stating you have changed
    > > the
    > > start process and you then decide if you want to keep using selective
    > > start
    > > or normal--if you use Normal--the programs will start again---at least
    > > this
    > > happens with the Kodak Easyshare software. I can stop them from starting
    > > using selective start but if I check the Normal start in msconfig--they
    > > will
    > > start again--even though I thought they would not since I unchecked them
    > > in
    > > the start tab.
    > >
    > > "Sam Weber" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Go to "Run" in the start menu and type "msconfig". There
    > >> should be a "Startup" tab in the window that pops up.
    > >> Deselect any program you do not want to run at startup.

    I'm not the one asking the question.
    Nor was I debating the process to stop the program from starting. What I
    was trying to explain was the difference between Normal or Selective
    options on the msconfig general tab. What you didn't seem to be grasping
    was you cannot use Selective and Normal at the same time. If you use
    Selective, then go to the Startup tab to make your selections, then go back
    and select Normal from the general tab, you lose your selective choices,
    thus, ALL programs are going to start, including the Kodak Easyshare.

> [...]
    >> > under normal startup they will restart when you load Windows the next
    >> > time.
    >> > You can use Selective startup and remove the tick marks from programs
    >> > you
    >> > do
    >> > not want to start--you will then get a display stating you have changed
    >> > the
    >> > start process and you then decide if you want to keep using selective
    >> > start
    >> > or normal--if you use Normal--the programs will start again---at least
    >> > this
    >> > happens with the Kodak Easyshare software. I can stop them from
    >> > starting
    >> > using selective start but if I check the Normal start in msconfig--they
    >> > will
    >> > start again--even though I thought they would not since I unchecked

    I agree --as there is no way you could use Normal and Selective Start at the
    same time--you have to click one option or the other. I never wanted or
    stated that this could be done--just that if you continue to use Normal--the
    programs will still start--if you use Selective start--they will not-(if you
    unticked the programs in the start tab)-but you do not have to change
    anything using Msconfig--the question was how to stop the Kokdak programs
    from loading--this can be done by going to Start--All programs--Start--right
    click on the Kodak Programs and delete them--it wil then remove them from
    starting when Windows loads--the programs will still reside on the computer
    if you want them to run later by manually starting.

    "lvee" wrote:

    > I'm not the one asking the question.
    > Nor was I debating the process to stop the program from starting. What I
    > was trying to explain was the difference between Normal or Selective
    > options on the msconfig general tab. What you didn't seem to be grasping
    > was you cannot use Selective and Normal at the same time. If you use
    > Selective, then go to the Startup tab to make your selections, then go back
    > and select Normal from the general tab, you lose your selective choices,
    > thus, ALL programs are going to start, including the Kodak Easyshare.
    >
    > "Country" <Country@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > If you do not want to use Selective Start and prevent the Kodak Easyshare
    > > software from starting ---do not use the MSCONFIG process----you can go to
    > > Start-----All programs---Startup folder--which will contain the two Kodak
    > > programs--right click on each and delete--this does not remove the
    > > programs
    > > --but will stop them from starting up when Windows is loaded. You can them
    > > manually start the Easyshare program when needed. You did not use
    > > Msconfig---you did not change your startup process from Normal to
    > > Selective--if you want to use Selective --fine--you can do that--either
    > > way
    > > will work. I did not want to use Selective--you may.
    > >
    > > "lvee" wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm not sure what you don't understand about the difference between
    > >> Normal
    > >> and Selective. Normal loads all your programs at startup. Selective, is
    > >> just that, you select what you want at startup. You cannot have the
    > >> best
    > >> of both worlds, either you have Selective startup, or you have Normal.
    > >> You
    > >> cannot select only a few things from the Selective Startup AND have
    > >> Normal
    > >> selected. Which ever you select last will negate your first choice. You
    > >> seem to be confused about what the startup tab is in conjunction with the
    > >> type of startup options you have.
    > >> Your choices listed on the General tab in msconfig are you choices for
    > >> your
    > >> startup, Normal, Selective, and Diagnostic. The Items on the 'Startup
    > >> Tab'
    > >> are programs that will load when you start Windows.
    > >> What you choose from there determines what loads, and who decides what
    > >> loads
    > >> at startup. If you choose normal, you don't decide what loads at
    > >> startup,
    > >> Windows xp does.
    > >> If you want to decide and control what loads at startup, then you pick
    > >> selective. Now this only changes the programs that load when you start
    > >> Windows, everything else runs Normally, however, you are still in a
    > >> 'Selective' startup as far as programs that load when Windows starts.
    > >>
    > >> "Country" <Country@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    There must be 2 different Country's because in this post it sounds like
    'Country' is trying to have both Noraml and Selective startup options in
    use.
    And, not that this really matters, but I don't understand why anyone would
    want to use Normal startup, instead of selective. If I use Noraml, the
    number of things loading at startup are incredible, and all it does is make
    my initial startup procedure very lengthy. but I guess that's what makes us
    individuals.

    [Copied and pasted from another thread in the ms/basics forum,]

    I do not believe the information is detailed or correct-as if you go to
    msconfig you get the option of normal startup or selective--if you go to the
    startup tab and uncheck the Kodak programs -hit apply -it does nothing--as
    when you start up again in normal start mode the programs will reload.

    If you
    select selective startup--then uncheck the Kodak prog. in the startup
    tab--it
    will remove them but you will get msg from Windows that you changed the
    start
    and ask you if you want to keep that or not---if you say dont show the msg
    and keep the selective startup--

    the programs will not start at Windows
    opening. ==but if you go back and select Normal start they will restart
    again.

    I have been trying to get rid of the Easyshare from starting using
    Normal startup--but so far cannot do so. I did not want to keep using the
    Selective startup. Why Kodak does this is ??? another problem with Xp is
    that
    all accounts will encounter the same problem plus if they do not have
    administrative privileges they cannot use all of the Easyshare
    features-Kodak
    is not user friendly

    >I agree --as there is no way you could use Normal and Selective Start at
    >the
    > same time--you have to click one option or the other. I never wanted or
    > stated that this could be done--just that if you continue to use
    > Normal--the
    > programs will still start--if you use Selective start--they will not-(if
    > you
    > unticked the programs in the start tab)-but you do not have to change
    > anything using Msconfig--the question was how to stop the Kokdak programs
    > from loading--this can be done by going to Start--All
    > programs--Start--right
    > click on the Kodak Programs and delete them--it wil then remove them from
    > starting when Windows loads--the programs will still reside on the
    > computer
    > if you want them to run later by manually starting.
    >
    > "lvee" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm not the one asking the question.
    >> Nor was I debating the process to stop the program from starting. What I
    >> was trying to explain was the difference between Normal or Selective
    >> options on the msconfig general tab. What you didn't seem to be grasping
    >> was you cannot use Selective and Normal at the same time. If you use
    >> Selective, then go to the Startup tab to make your selections, then go
    >> back
    >> and select Normal from the general tab, you lose your selective choices,
    >> thus, ALL programs are going to start, including the Kodak Easyshare.
    >>
    >> "Country" <Country@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > If you do not want to use Selective Start and prevent the Kodak
    >> > Easyshare
    >> > software from starting ---do not use the MSCONFIG process----you can go
    >> > Start-----All programs---Startup folder--which will contain the two
    >> > Kodak
    >> > programs--right click on each and delete--this does not remove the
    >> > programs
    >> > --but will stop them from starting up when Windows is loaded. You can
    >> > them
    >> > manually start the Easyshare program when needed. You did not use
    >> > Msconfig---you did not change your startup process from Normal to
    >> > Selective--if you want to use Selective --fine--you can do that--either
    >> > way
    >> > will work. I did not want to use Selective--you may.

    I apoligize if it sounds like I want to use Selective and Normal startup
    options at the same time as I thought the sentence there is no way you could
    use Normal or Selective start at the same time--you have to click one option
    or the other would be interpreted as -------there is only 1 way to run
    startup--normal or selective as a fact---- not as a request to have both
    options active at the same time. Sorry if I confused Ivee--but in the
    end--all you have to do to stop Kodak software from starting is to go to
    Start-All programs--Start--- right click on the Kodak programs and delete
    them--they will still reside on the system and can be started manually. You
    do not have to change anything in msconfig--you can ---if you want to use
    Selective start from then on. Your option. The end --no more!!!!!

> [...]
    >> >the
    >> > same time--you have to click one option or the other. I never wanted or
    >> > stated that this could be done--just that if you continue to use
    >> > Normal--the
    >> > programs will still start--if you use Selective start--they will
    >> > not-(if
    >> > you
    >> > unticked the programs in the start tab)-but you do not have to change
    >> > anything using Msconfig--the question was how to stop the Kokdak
    >> > programs
    >> > from loading--this can be done by going to Start--All
    >> > programs--Start--right
    >> > click on the Kodak Programs and delete them--it wil then remove them
    >> > from
    >> > starting when Windows loads--the programs will still reside on the
    >> > computer
    >> > if you want them to run later by manually starting.

    So how do u know which programs r which? It doesn't exactly spell them out.

    "lvee" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> tab--it
    > >> will remove them but you will get msg from Windows that you changed the
    > >> start
    > >> and ask you if you want to keep that or not---if you say dont show the
    > >> msg
    > >> and keep the selective startup--
    > >>
    > >> the programs will not start at Windows
    > >> opening. ==but if you go back and select Normal start they will restart
    > >> again.
    > >>

    > >> I have been trying to get rid of the Easyshare from starting using
    > >> Normal startup--but so far cannot do so. I did not want to keep using the
    > >> Selective startup. Why Kodak does this is ??? another problem with Xp is
    > >> that
    > >> all accounts will encounter the same problem plus if they do not have
    > >> administrative privileges they cannot use all of the Easyshare

    on the startup tab, yes it does spell them out.

    "coolrain" <coolrain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > So how do u know which programs r which? It doesn't exactly spell them
    > out.
    >
    > "lvee" wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, 'nuff said. ;) :)
    >>

    >> "Country" <Country@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I apoligize if it sounds like I want to use Selective and Normal startup
    >> > options at the same time as I thought the sentence there is no way you
    >> > could
    >> > use Normal or Selective start at the same time--you have to click one
    >> > option
    >> > or the other would be interpreted as -------there is only 1 way to run
    >> > startup--normal or selective as a fact---- not as a request to have
    >> > both
    >> > options active at the same time. Sorry if I confused Ivee--but in the
    >> > end--all you have to do to stop Kodak software from starting is to go
    >> > Start-All programs--Start--- right click on the Kodak programs and
    >> > delete
    >> > them--they will still reside on the system and can be started manually.
    >> > You
    >> > do not have to change anything in msconfig--you can ---if you want to
    >> > use
    >> > Selective start from then on. Your option. The end --no more!!!!!

Computers Windows XP