Drive letter problem

After a hard disk disaster last week, I decided it was really time to come
to grips with XP after several years using 98(SE).

I spent a rather fraught day yesterday loading Windows and all my other
applications onto a brand new Drive. I have lots of questions, but will try
to sort some of them out before posting them here. However there is one
which I can't solve. After Windows Setup formatted the new drive and
installed the software, I found that it had allocated Drive letters as
follows:

C: Internal Zip Drive
D: DVD player
E: CD Burner
F: Hard Drive

As far as I can remember I wasn't asked about this at any stage of the
installation, and although I can live with it, after 10 years or so of
having my Hard Drive on C, I'd like to get it back. According to Windows
Help, I can't change it, but I'm wondering whether in fact it might be
possible.

TIA

--
Slartibartfast
To reply by email, remove the FJORDS from my address

    Drive Letters Change Unexpectedly When You Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326683&Product=winxp

    You'll have to physically disconnect whatever drive is shown as the current C: drive,
    perform a "clean install", then reconnect that drive.

    The Windows XP CD is bootable and contains all the tools necessary
    to partition and format your drive. Follow this procedure and allow
    Windows XP to partition and format your drive:

    NOTE: It would be best to physically disconnect all your peripheral hardware
    devices, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard, before installing XP.

    1. Open your BIOS and set your "CD Drive as the first bootable device".

    ===> Accessing Motherboard BIOS
    ===> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

    2. Insert your Windows XP CD in the CD Drive and reboot your computer.
    3. You'll see a message to boot to the CD....follow the instructions.
    4. The setup menu will appear and you should elect to delete the existing
    Windows partitions, then create a new partition, then format the primary
    partition (preferably NTFS) and proceed to install Windows XP.

    5. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of Michael Stevens, MS-MVP]

    6. After Windows XP is installed, visit the Windows Update website
    and download the available "Critical Updates".

    7. After installing the critical updates, be sure and visit the support website
    of the manufacturer of the computer to download and install any
    available Windows XP compatible drivers, such as video adapter
    and audio drivers.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Drive Letters Change Unexpectedly When You Install Windows XP

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326683&Product=winxp

    <SNIP>

    Thanks Carey.

    I guess I should have gone back and followed your suggestions as soon as I
    noticed a problem.

    Unfortunately I've spent so long installing and tweaking programs that I
    don't really feel like starting all over again - just yet. Am I correct in
    assuming there are no disadvantages to keeping the Drive as "F"?
    --

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:29:17 +0100, Slartibartfast wrote:

    > Am I correct in
    > assuming there are no disadvantages to keeping the Drive as "F"?

    You might notice icons missing in Explorer once in a while and may run into
    trouble with apps that are hardcoded for C:\<whatever>. Otherwise, XP and
    most programs will work fine.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Slartibartfast wrote:

    >C: Internal Zip Drive
    >D: DVD player
    >E: CD Burner
    >F: Hard Drive
    >
    >As far as I can remember I wasn't asked about this at any stage of the
    >installation, and although I can live with it, after 10 years or so of
    >having my Hard Drive on C, I'd like to get it back. According to Windows
    >Help, I can't change it, but I'm wondering whether in fact it might be
    >possible.

    This happens if a ZIP drive is present at setup. There are two courses:
    one is to live with it (there is nothing sacrosanct bout the letter C -
    but it is inconvenient). the other is to reformat and start over, with
    the ZIP drive disconnected until setup is done

Hard Drives Windows XP