privacy on desktops

ann

Just when I think I know what I am doing....We have three
user desktops on our home pc, all set as administrators.
One my teen uses, one is our family desktop, and one I use
for highly confidential and private word documents. I
passworded my private desktop so no one could open it and
thought that meant that no one else could get into my
private stuff. Imagine my absolute horror when I opened
the My Computer folder on the family desktop and found a
folder of all my documents inside. I about fainted. Then
I opened the c drive folder and found another set of my
documents. I figured out how to make them private so now
when one tries to access them from the family desktop My
Computer folder access is denied.
OK, so what else don't I know? My teen is very computer
savvy, how secure are my private documents?

If as you say they are all administrators and you have
not PASSWORD Protected the individual files. Not very.

It is possible to "take ownership" of any folder as an
administrator and then access any files within that
folder.

Ann;
Not secure at all as long as others have Administrator access.
Any Administrator can do and undo anything any Administrator can do.
You must TIGHTLY control all accounts with Administrator access.
Anyone else should have no more than a Limited Account.

Also see:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/private.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Ann;
> Not secure at all as long as others have Administrator access.
> Any Administrator can do and undo anything any Administrator can do.
> You must TIGHTLY control all accounts with Administrator access.
> Anyone else should have no more than a Limited Account.
>
> Also see:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/private.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Thank you. I am going to get my own laptop and hide it under the bed. Do you think that will ensure my teen stays out of my stuff??

> "ann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just when I think I know what I am doing....We have three
> > user desktops on our home pc, all set as administrators.
> > One my teen uses, one is our family desktop, and one I use
> > for highly confidential and private word documents. I
> > passworded my private desktop so no one could open it and
> > thought that meant that no one else could get into my
> > private stuff. Imagine my absolute horror when I opened
> > the My Computer folder on the family desktop and found a
> > folder of all my documents inside. I about fainted. Then
> > I opened the c drive folder and found another set of my
> > documents. I figured out how to make them private so now
> > when one tries to access them from the family desktop My
> > Computer folder access is denied.
> > OK, so what else don't I know? My teen is very computer
> > savvy, how secure are my private documents?

> Just when I think I know what I am doing....We have three
> user desktops on our home pc, all set as administrators.
> One my teen uses, one is our family desktop, and one I use

<SNIP>
> OK, so what else don't I know?

If you have the power, as administrator, to do *something* (set up your
security for your folders) they as administrators have the power to undo
what you have just done.

Suggest you remove everyone else from the administrator's group and, at
most, add them to the power user's group if not just plain users.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

ann wrote:
> Just when I think I know what I am doing....We have three
> user desktops on our home pc, all set as administrators.
> One my teen uses, one is our family desktop, and one I use
> for highly confidential and private word documents. I
> passworded my private desktop so no one could open it and
> thought that meant that no one else could get into my
> private stuff. Imagine my absolute horror when I opened
> the My Computer folder on the family desktop and found a
> folder of all my documents inside. I about fainted. Then
> I opened the c drive folder and found another set of my
> documents. I figured out how to make them private so now
> when one tries to access them from the family desktop My
> Computer folder access is denied.
> OK, so what else don't I know? My teen is very computer
> savvy, how secure are my private documents?

You made everyone Computer Administrators?

*IF you have Windows XP Professional* and only if you have Windows XP
*Professional*, can you truly protect your data from other administrative
users on the same computer system.. If that is so, browse through the
following.. If it isn't, burn to CD and take the copy with you - the ONLY
copy.

The only way to protect your stuff in this situation (without changing them
to limited accounts) is to Change your password you use to something
different and ENCRYPT the files you want secured.

Better read up on File Encryption first though - it is not for the faint
hearted and you better make a backup of the decryption key and put it
somewhere safe!

Keep Your Data More Secure
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/data/default.mspx

Securing Mobile Computers with Windows XP Professional
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/mblsecxp.mspx

Overview of EFS
http://snipurl.com/830q

Add EFS Options to the Shortcut Menu
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/tips/keam.mspx

Troubleshooting EFS
http://snipurl.com/830r

The encrytion is the only way to secure a file so someone with physical
access to the machine cannot get to it.. That and/or a good butt kicking
session.

--
<- Shenan ->

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

Wow! Big no-no..as you may have surmised by now...Have only one adminstrator account and password protect it so only you can get in..you can set up other user accounts for everyone else, then they won't be able to get to your documents. Use the online help function in your computers system or online..or get a good Windows XP manual.

good luck~

"ann" wrote:

> Just when I think I know what I am doing....We have three
> user desktops on our home pc, all set as administrators.
> One my teen uses, one is our family desktop, and one I use
> for highly confidential and private word documents. I
> passworded my private desktop so no one could open it and
> thought that meant that no one else could get into my
> private stuff. Imagine my absolute horror when I opened
> the My Computer folder on the family desktop and found a
> folder of all my documents inside. I about fainted. Then
> I opened the c drive folder and found another set of my
> documents. I figured out how to make them private so now
> when one tries to access them from the family desktop My
> Computer folder access is denied.
> OK, so what else don't I know? My teen is very computer
> savvy, how secure are my private documents?

Ann;
Another laptop may not be necessary.
Setting up individual profiles normally gives adequate security in the
home.

However if you are that concerned another separate computer kept under
lock and key may be appropriate.
Generally all security measures can be defeated when one has physical
access.
This is the same regardless the operating system.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Ann;
> > Not secure at all as long as others have Administrator access.
> > Any Administrator can do and undo anything any Administrator can
do.
> > You must TIGHTLY control all accounts with Administrator access.
> > Anyone else should have no more than a Limited Account.
> >
> > Also see:
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/private.htm
> >
> > --
> > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
> >
> Thank you. I am going to get my own laptop and hide it under the
bed. Do you think that will ensure my teen stays out of my stuff??

> > "ann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Just when I think I know what I am doing....We have three
> > > user desktops on our home pc, all set as administrators.
> > > One my teen uses, one is our family desktop, and one I use
> > > for highly confidential and private word documents. I
> > > passworded my private desktop so no one could open it and
> > > thought that meant that no one else could get into my
> > > private stuff. Imagine my absolute horror when I opened
> > > the My Computer folder on the family desktop and found a
> > > folder of all my documents inside. I about fainted. Then
> > > I opened the c drive folder and found another set of my
> > > documents. I figured out how to make them private so now
> > > when one tries to access them from the family desktop My
> > > Computer folder access is denied.
> > > OK, so what else don't I know? My teen is very computer
> > > savvy, how secure are my private documents?

Don't worry, Ann--your documents are safe with me.