Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I've been having some problems with the bios on my motherboard (An abit kr7a). I have an Athlon Xp 1700 installed, but it only wants to run at 1,100 mhz. I know it's a 1700 because it has run at those speeds in the past without overclocking, plus it said 1700 on the box :). It's supposed to run at 1,466 mhz. I have the multiplier and the fsb settings correct. The fsb is 133 while the multiplier is 11. When I have the cpu running at 1100 it works fine, but when I set it to the 1700 settings it will boot, but will not send a signal to the monitor.

Any suggestions?

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
It could be your CPU isn't properly seated but remmember to get some thermal compound from AMD before you reseat it. Also dust in any of the fans can be a problem and raise the CPU temp and lower the clock rate if you have a board with thermal protection. Finally, unless you are sure of your setting try setting your fsb and multiplier for 100/146 if possible which gives you 1460 instead of 1463. You might also try default setting for your BIOS and then changing your clock settings

en Xristos

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
I have some artic silver 3 that I've been using, so I dont think thats it.

I removed the cpu and checked it, so I know its seated properly.

Ive been trying to get it to boot again and again, but it just wont send a signal to the monitor or even beep.

I fear that my cpu has been fried, I wish I knew how.

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
try the CPU in another computer and see if u get the same result, if so, then u might have to leave it at 1100mhz for now

Octivus

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
The heatsink wasnt seated properly! I feel so dumb :(. I turned the heatsink around because the way it's supposed to be seated, is facing a direction which makes it impossible to remove the heatsink without taking the motherboard out of the case. Bleh =/

Try bumping up the cpu voltage by .05 volts, and see if it posts at 133 fsb. If it does, then I would suspect the mobo isn't providing enough voltage. I would also run cpuid and check the voltage reading in the bios hardware monitor. It should be close to 1.75 volts.