Sign in with
Your question

Inside Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Last response: in Video Games
May 30, 2007 4:35:09 PM

LucasArts' newest Star Wars game, titled The Force Unleashed, puts players in the role of Darth Vader's secret apprentice and promises to expand the powers of the Force for the next-generation console title.
May 30, 2007 4:51:18 PM

What's with Lucas Arts and hating computers? If it is too difficult for a mid/upper range computer by 2008, I am certain it won't play on a PS3. Already a $1200 computer is better than the PS3, and computers are going to get a lot better in a year. Guess what though, the PS3 will be the same garbage it is now. Oh well, I was only sort of looking forward to that game. Not now.
May 30, 2007 4:59:44 PM

I'm not sure what they are talking about....PC's already have DX10 cards out and in 2008, will completely blow the PS3 and X-box 360's graphics out of the water.

It is a shame but this is where companies are going now, down the console path. I guess it is easier to develop games for consoles because they already know the hardware specs and they are the same for every person.
Related resources
May 30, 2007 5:04:53 PM

the more I read of the story for this, the less I like.

1. Vader WOULD NOT have an apprentice. He was too arrogant

2. Yoda said "always 2 there are, a Master and Apprentice. No more, no less." Palpatine is the Master, Vader the apprentice

3. they describe this apprentice as a "force wrecking ball" a purely destructive being. then they give him a love interest. WTF is that? Love is one of the paths to the light side. and they claim this apprentice as Vaders attack dog. Vader wouldn't use an attack dog especially to hunt Jedi.

this ranks right up there with midichlorians :roll:
May 30, 2007 5:25:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what they are talking about....PC's already have DX10 cards out and in 2008, will completely blow the PS3 and X-box 360's graphics out of the water.

Yeah, I'm not sure what LucasArts is talking about there. Blackman's reasoning didn't make much sense either. It sounded like the sales execs at LucasArts decided that covering the consoles was enough and that doing a third port of the game for the PC just wasn't worth it. Which is lame.

Quote:
the more I read of the story for this, the less I like.

1. Vader WOULD NOT have an apprentice. He was too arrogant

2. Yoda said "always 2 there are, a Master and Apprentice. No more, no less." Palpatine is the Master, Vader the apprentice

3. they describe this apprentice as a "force wrecking ball" a purely destructive being. then they give him a love interest. WTF is that? Love is one of the paths to the light side. and they claim this apprentice as Vaders attack dog. Vader wouldn't use an attack dog especially to hunt Jedi.

this ranks right up there with midichlorians

Good points, but a rebuttal:

1. We know that somewhere along the way, Vader strays from Palpatine and begins to realize that the Emperor took advantage of him. During Empire, he wants Luke to join him so he can remove the Emperor and rule as father and son (kind of like "Sanford & Son," but with lightsabers and a galaxy instead of a junkyard). So if Vader, prior to Episode IV/V, believes his unborn son died, then it makes sense to me that he would take on a surrogate to help him displace the Emperor at some point.

2. Yeah, I got nothin' here.

3. I think what is being described here is known as "character development," i.e. the apprentice starts out as a simple, evil killing machine but eventually comes around to the light side. Just like Vader himself.
May 30, 2007 7:54:26 PM

LA is definately moving away from the PC Market, which is pretty sad. I'm not 100% sure, but I guess making games for consoles is cheaper than PC games, plus they can charge 60-70$ for a console game compared to 40-50$ for a PC game.
May 30, 2007 8:07:25 PM

Quote:

Yoda is referring to the sith. Their is a Master and apprentice sith. From what I understand their kind of the worst (strongest) of the dark side. Their can be other dark jedi however. They just are not considered 'sith'.
May 30, 2007 8:25:31 PM

doh!

wasn't even thinking in the Empire Vader/Luke sense

An interesting and pretty darn kick ass ending to me would be for the love interest to turn him to the Light and then have him ultimately face and obviously be defeated by Vader. Making him a bit of a martyr would endear this character, I think. It could also serve as a tiny glimmer of hope to Vader that he could maybe one day be redeemed as well.
May 30, 2007 8:29:24 PM

Quote:
Yoda is referring to the sith. Their is a Master and apprentice sith. From what I understand their kind of the worst (strongest) of the dark side. Their can be other dark jedi however. They just are not considered 'sith'.

Excellent point. I can't believe I forgot to mention this in the article, but the LucasArts guys made a point during the presentation to say that Vader's apprentice was a Force user but not technically a Sith. And if you look at the concept art, the character is certainly not dressed like a Sith.
May 30, 2007 9:14:56 PM

It makes total sense for Vader to have an apprentice. He wanted to become the master, but he didn't think he could take the emperor alone. As someone pointed out above, that's why he's trying to recruit Luke. He even mentions in Episode 3 that Amidala could help him dethrone the emperor. It's his primary goal.

And I know why they aren't doing a PC version. It's because they can't program for PCs at LucasArts. What's the last PC game they made that wasn't a total bugfest? I have Battlefront 2 sitting on my shelf collecting dust because it can't even run on dual-core cpus without crashing to desktop. That said, I'm still pissed there's no PC version :D 
May 30, 2007 11:49:36 PM

I don't know what PC Blackman is talking about? Not powerful enough? Hello!!! It's already 2007! Dual Core CPUs are dirt cheap and so are video cards? My crappy old PC has more RAM than a 360 and PS3 combined! They're just too lazy to do a proper port. I think it just depends on their developer. Ubi's GRAW2 has a separate development for PC and 360, why can't LA do that?
May 31, 2007 1:57:34 AM

Saying, sorry folks no PC version as we don't want the development costs would be OK, annoying but at least acceptable. Saying the PC is not powerful enough when they already beat a 360 or PS3 and will only be better when the game is released is just bullcrap. Sure they can port it to the PS2, DS, and PSP, but not the PC. I guess a DS outperforms a Core2?

It sounds an interesting game but a whole game based around kill the jedi would be a little odd. He really would need good guy/bad guy choices to make. It would make it more interesting, acceptable, and re-playable.
May 31, 2007 4:11:43 AM

Quote:
3. they describe this apprentice as a "force wrecking ball" a purely destructive being. then they give him a love interest. WTF is that? Love is one of the paths to the light side.

Do not forget "love" leads to fear, fear to lose the one you love. That's how Anakin started his path to the Dark Side.
That's why Jedis aren't allowed to love.

Anyway, back to topic.
PCs AREN'T POWERFUL ENOUGH??? W-T-F??
Oh, come on!! Any current med-high end PC can blow away both the XBOX360 and PS3.
My guess? They're afraid. Afraid to lose money with piracy.
Piracy is also present in consoles, but the percentage is MUCH higher in PCs.
May 31, 2007 11:27:02 AM

I'm not going to even get into a discussion about the story line, I'm still reeling over Jar-Jar....

That aside, we all know what it means when they say that it is not being released for consoles anytime soon. M-O-N-E-Y. Console games retail (in this country, dunno about US/UK, but I assume so) for at least twice that of PC games. So why bother pushing a PC version?

Never mind the fact that 95% of Star Wars geeks are PC geeks in the first place. Without the humble PC, Star Wars genre games would not even exist.

Sigh, another knock for the PC Game industry. (I'm still waiting for StarCraft Ghost for PC!!!)
May 31, 2007 3:30:32 PM

Ehh... lame overall :/ 

The idea of doing lots of really bad-ass stuff with the Force is of course a high point, using new technologies for materials and AI is awesome as well, but as people said... no PC? They can't even give us a good reason for it, tha bastards.

Making things even worse is that LucasArts seems to be the only people who can use DMM and/or Euphoria, or whatever those new technologies were called... and as they seem to have no more interest in PCs, it seems the promising technologies will be stuck on consoles. A damn shame really.
May 31, 2007 3:39:51 PM

:evil:  NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! (room starts shaking stuff falling off shelves)

I will have to agree with everyone speaking on behalf of PC's.

Is this a joke about PC's being inferior to consoles. May be right now about 5-10% of PC gamers would be able to play this title if were available now. In Spring 2008 that 5-10% will be closer to 25-30% easily if not more.

You can get a DirectX 10 video card for under $200, by mid year you will be able to get a quad core CPU for about $300.

This really does seem like a lame excuse, IMO by Spring 2008 there will be more people owning PC's that could possibly play this game then people owning PS3's. No-one is going to go out and buy a PS3 to play this game but might go out and spend a couple hundred on a new GPU.

Nothing pisses me off more then a company being dishonest about why they are not doing somthing.

With a little research you will read that LucasArts was the reason for the whole destuction of Star Wars Galaxies and not Sony Online Entertainment.

It's too bad... When my PC already beats any console available I am not going to go out and buy a console just to play this game.

This really makes me mad, screw you LA. Game will probably fail anyways. Just like every other title you put out aside from maybe KOTOR, which when made right was done by BioWare anyways.

/rant off 8O
May 31, 2007 4:11:56 PM

There was also an episode 7,8,9 that was written, but no movies.
Somthing about the rebirth of the jedi - Luke isn't the only jedi anymore. Lukes son becomes the most powerful jedi ever, whips (turned evil) Luke and the (not yet dead) Emperors butt.
Any games/books on this time-span?
May 31, 2007 4:57:30 PM

/rant back on

Just one more thing about the whole PC issue.

Oblivion a very hardware demanding game in general, takes #1 spot for PC games last year. Which means there are plenty of PC owners that are capable of playing games of this nature.

Just wait till games like Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3, Alan Wake to name a few come out then come back and tell me how many people have systems that will push high end specs.

Just a poor excuse for not releasing game on a specific platform in general.

Bah...
May 31, 2007 5:06:20 PM

Quote:
Oblivion a very hardware demanding game in general, takes #1 spot for PC games last year. Which means there are plenty of PC owners that are capable of playing games of this nature.

Damn, that's an excellent point. I never thought of it that way. Kudos to the newbie 326!

I agree with all of th above statements regarding the PC. I think the suits at LucasArts are making the decision and not necessarily Blackman and his dev team.

BTW, here's a petition for a PC version, in case y'all are interested...

http://www.petitiononline.com/g5d4iu5f/petition.html
May 31, 2007 7:36:08 PM

Quote:
Do not forget "love" leads to fear, fear to lose the one you love. That's how Anakin started his path to the Dark Side.
That's why Jedis aren't allowed to love.

Hmmm... Maybe the developers love PCs...

No, that's not true. That's impossible.

:p 
June 1, 2007 5:43:27 AM

Quote:
Somthing about the rebirth of the jedi - Luke isn't the only jedi anymore. Lukes son becomes the most powerful jedi ever, whips (turned evil) Luke and the (not yet dead) Emperors butt.
Actually, 7,8, and 9 were technically books written back in the early 90's by Timothy Zahn (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command). They take place five years after the death of the Emperor, and feature, among other things: A mad Dark Jedi Clone, Leia and Han married and Leia pregnant with twins, an evil Luke, a former Emperor's Hand (force user) hell bent on killing Luke, and a new Grand Admiral that is working to restore the Empire.

These books not only started an entire expanded Star Wars world that now stretches out over a period of nearly 40 years, but they are almost single-handedly responsible for the renewed interest in SW, and Lucas's decision to release the new movies (whether you consider that good or bad). They also would have made FAR (I can't stress this enough) better movies than Episodes I-III turned out to be, and I highly recommend and SW fan reads them. Too bad it would be too difficult to continue the story with the same actors 20 years later...
June 1, 2007 3:57:22 PM

The LucasArts representative talking about PCs kinda reminds me of Tomonobu Itagaki back when he was promoting Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox, saying that Microsoft's console (nearing the end of its life cycle) was more powerful than even the best PCs (conveniently ignoring the console's distinct lack of RAM, to say nothing of the mobile P3 Celeron it used as a CPU). Boils down to why developers can't just be honest about their intentions. Why can't they just say "we don't want to spend the money, and we know Star Wars fanboys will pay $60-$70 for it on a 360 or PS3"? Granted, LucasArts has stayed away from the PC for some time, even so much as to can the development of Mercenaries on PC to focus on consoles (although they have announced a PC version of Mercenaries 2, I'll believe it when I see it... they did that for the first game as well).
June 2, 2007 5:05:47 AM

Quote:
Actually, 7,8, and 9 were technically books written back in the early 90's by Timothy Zahn (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command). They take place five years after the death of the Emperor, and feature, among other things: A mad Dark Jedi Clone, Leia and Han married and Leia pregnant with twins, an evil Luke, a former Emperor's Hand (force user) hell bent on killing Luke, and a new Grand Admiral that is working to restore the Empire.

These books not only started an entire expanded Star Wars world that now stretches out over a period of nearly 40 years, but they are almost single-handedly responsible for the renewed interest in SW, and Lucas's decision to release the new movies (whether you consider that good or bad). They also would have made FAR (I can't stress this enough) better movies than Episodes I-III turned out to be, and I highly recommend and SW fan reads them. Too bad it would be too difficult to continue the story with the same actors 20 years later...

Thanks for the info. That goes way back so my memory is a bit hazey.
I wonder if those books are 100% Lucus approved (I assume they are).
yes, I agree I,II,III was lame. So much of the story was focused on Mop-head Anakin that I never took seriously. (Ewan McGregor is a better actor)
Agree 7-8-9 will make better games & movies like you think.
June 2, 2007 5:16:40 AM

Quote:
The LucasArts representative talking about PCs kinda reminds me of Tomonobu Itagaki back when he was promoting Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox, saying that Microsoft's console (nearing the end of its life cycle) was more powerful than even the best PCs (conveniently ignoring the console's distinct lack of RAM, to say nothing of the mobile P3 Celeron it used as a CPU). Boils down to why developers can't just be honest about their intentions. Why can't they just say "we don't want to spend the money, and we know Star Wars fanboys will pay $60-$70 for it on a 360 or PS3"? Granted, LucasArts has stayed away from the PC for some time, even so much as to can the development of Mercenaries on PC to focus on consoles (although they have announced a PC version of Mercenaries 2, I'll believe it when I see it... they did that for the first game as well).

StarWars fanboys will buy anything. (StarTrek farboys are the worst). I think PC games are the future. The consoles will just be around for people too young or not tech savy enough to use a PC. Console users also care about the game more than bleeding edge graphics.
June 2, 2007 6:00:26 AM

They were really great stories and I highly recommend them to any SW fan. They were completely Lucas approved, the whole 40 year storyline has to be approved by his people before a book can be published. I'd been hoping for movies of them for years, but as I said, its kinda impossible due to the actors.

Though, at the rate Lucasfilm is computerizing all the scenes, they may be able to pull it off soon...
June 2, 2007 6:56:31 AM

Quote:
They were really great stories and I highly recommend them to any SW fan. They were completely Lucas approved, the whole 40 year storyline has to be approved by his people before a book can be published. I'd been hoping for movies of them for years, but as I said, its kinda impossible due to the actors.

Though, at the rate Lucasfilm is computerizing all the scenes, they may be able to pull it off soon...

Modern makup can make anyone look like anyone. Actors are swapped all the time. Not worried about this. CGI is way over-used.
When a movie is over-CGIed, it can be done in weeks.
I will look for the books like you suggest.
June 2, 2007 7:12:04 AM

Yeah, but it wouldn't be the same as seeing Harrison Ford's burgeoning acting ability alongside Mark Hamill's not so stellar skills... And Ford is in his 60's now.
June 5, 2007 10:11:46 PM

Quote:

It is a shame but this is where companies are going now, down the console path. I guess it is easier to develop games for consoles because they already know the hardware specs and they are the same for every person.

My PC is already better than a 360 or PS3. I dont see anything that the PS3 can do better than my PC. (Maybe in the lab the PS3 Cell can crunch more numbers... but in real-world apps, it is not better)
!