Regarding SE440BX2 Upgrade

sasageruxc

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
To anyone who can help:

I want to upgrade my computer, to get another couple of years out of it. I was thinking of adding another 256 megs of ram to my current 128, changing my current 3d card and my current cpu which is a PIII 600mhz.

The motherboard in my PC is a SE440BX2, is it possible to get a 1ghz+ cpu on this motherboard?
Which 3d cards aren't compatible with this motherboard?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

Ed-Kou

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
AGP Bus of your motherboard is 2X max and it won’t be able to fully use the 4X that all the new video cards have.
SDRAM and DDR SDRAM are almost the same price, so why don’t you buy a new motherboard with DDR?

I tell you this as a good friend of mine has a 440 BX (the good ASUS P3B-F) P 3 500 MHz and video card and he is not even able to see some movies with that system.

I would suggest you MSI KT3 Ultra US$ 74 and Duron 1200 Mhz Retail (including the heat sink and fan) US$ 51

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can run a PIII 850E, or the rare 1000E (the 100MHz FSB version). Both were available in Slot 1 versions. Don't use the latest Intel BIOS as it no longer supports Coppermines (Intel is trying to force the upgrade issue with their latest BIOS release)!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>