Sign in with
Your question

Halo 2 for Windows - Anybody going to get it?

Last response: in Video Games
May 31, 2007 6:27:08 PM

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32271/118/

I like the idea of being able to play against xbox users and potentially dominating them.

I am unclear on the xbox live subscriptions. If you go with silver(free w/purchase) are you able to play against xbox users? My understanding was that you wouldn't be able to. Can anybody confirm.

More about : halo windows

May 31, 2007 7:46:21 PM

I've got it pre-ordered... however, I believe I read in an article that they were going to "level the field" between gamepad (x360 players) and mouse + keyboard...

auto-aim?
slow dpi (mouse sensitivity)?

BTW - I've played PC games with gamepads... when it comes to sn1per classes, yes the mouse rules... but the gamepad is awesome for movement.

Overall, you can still hang pretty well (and even dominate) the 2nd tier mouse and keyboard players IF your are a non-sn1per class. There are the elite PC players that are ELITE... they will own anybody with any controls.
May 31, 2007 8:19:36 PM

Yeah, that is was I figured. The good xbox people will hang with the PC players but the good PC players will dominate.

I read something about the controller having somewhat better auto-aim compared to the mouse/keyboard setup. I think it was on cn3t review of the game. Here is what is said:

"This creates some really weird and potentially unbalanced trade-offs in multiplayer. By default, a player with a mouse will be able to turn more quickly and, if that player is skilled, more accurately than a gamepad user. Gamepad players can increase the right-stick sensitivity to turn faster, but they also get another benefit that feels downright dirty. Like the console version, the PC game employs a certain amount of auto-aim when you're using a gamepad. This makes sticking to other players for up-close shotgun blasts or melee attacks significantly easier with the gamepad, and there doesn't appear to be any way to disable it or even detect that another player is using a pad. After pumping up the gamepad's sensitivity, we found ourselves doing more damage when armed with a gamepad, which makes the two control schemes feel unbalanced, is sort of crazy when you consider how tournament-focused the current Halo 2 Xbox scene is these days."

Edit: Added quote from cn3t
Related resources
June 1, 2007 12:56:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is was I figured. The good xbox people will hang with the PC players but the good PC players will dominate.

I read something about the controller having somewhat better auto-aim compared to the mouse/keyboard setup. I think it was on cn3t review of the game. Here is what is said:

"This creates some really weird and potentially unbalanced trade-offs in multiplayer. By default, a player with a mouse will be able to turn more quickly and, if that player is skilled, more accurately than a gamepad user. Gamepad players can increase the right-stick sensitivity to turn faster, but they also get another benefit that feels downright dirty. Like the console version, the PC game employs a certain amount of auto-aim when you're using a gamepad. This makes sticking to other players for up-close shotgun blasts or melee attacks significantly easier with the gamepad, and there doesn't appear to be any way to disable it or even detect that another player is using a pad. After pumping up the gamepad's sensitivity, we found ourselves doing more damage when armed with a gamepad, which makes the two control schemes feel unbalanced, is sort of crazy when you consider how tournament-focused the current Halo 2 Xbox scene is these days."

Edit: Added quote from cn3t

I bought an Xbox controller for my PC... I'm actually doing controller + mouse :wink:
June 1, 2007 3:51:23 PM

Quote:

I bought an Xbox controller for my PC... I'm actually doing controller + mouse :wink:

whhhaaaaat. please explain. you must have a strong left hand.
June 1, 2007 4:26:46 PM

Yeah, you dont want to know how he got that though :lol: 
June 1, 2007 4:27:39 PM

^controller for movement (left analog stick) and mouse for aiming. I tried it that way and found it very effective.

For halo 2 i just use the 360 controller since that was its original way. Mouse still rules though of course.
June 1, 2007 5:54:21 PM

Quote:
^controller for movement (left analog stick) and mouse for aiming. I tried it that way and found it very effective.

Yep, been learning to do this in other FPS too... you can also program some of the buttons on the left hand side of the joystick to do stuff (like jump, crouch, whatever)...

so between the buttons I can easily hit on the joystick + mouse buttons... I rarely have to touch the keyboard. It seems a lot more fluid for movement. But let's keep this between us, need an edge :wink:
June 1, 2007 8:23:20 PM

well good luck with that crazy setup guys. I think i'll stick with the mouse/keyboard for now. I'm still debating whether i'm gonna get the game. Stalker and C&C3 are taking up time as are hl2 mods :D 
June 1, 2007 10:03:47 PM

Quote:
well good luck with that crazy setup guys. I think i'll stick with the mouse/keyboard for now. I'm still debating whether i'm gonna get the game. Stalker and C&C3 are taking up time as are hl2 mods :D 

Did I mention I put my keyboard on the floor... so I can hit additional buttons with my toes... :lol: 
June 5, 2007 5:37:40 PM

meh i already have the game for xbox
why get two copies :S
June 6, 2007 1:22:06 PM

Ok, bought the game and loaded it up last night.

I never played the Xbox version (although I did play original Halo A LOT on xbox)...

So far, kinda interesting storyline... one thing that is bothering me... the previews of the Halo 2 for xbox made it look like there was a complete warzone on the streets of Earth...

but this is not the case. The streets are pretty barren with only a few enemies at a time. Seems like a major waste of space. I can understand the emptiness / quietness of "Halo"... but THIS IS EARTH!!! There should be battalions of NPC marines battling hordes of NPC Convenant (with Master Chief leading the real charge).

Gameplay is great using the mouse + gamepad configuration. The weapons in Halo are so fun (even if they are mostly the same from the orginal).

Haven't tried the Multiplayer yet... but just from the feel of the mouse vs. gamepad (for aiming)... aimbots or not, the mouse should dominate completely.
June 7, 2007 9:21:50 PM

360 degrees of horizontal and vertical auto aim is still not as good as a mouse and keyboard.
June 7, 2007 10:18:20 PM

Major problem with Halo... the master cheif cannot dodge / roll.

The only evasion tactic is to jump (in which you jump SLOWLY 2 stories up in the air and then land SLOWLY).

Played multiplayer last night... if you jump... you're EASY sniper meat.
June 8, 2007 12:35:56 PM

It's like you're walking on the moon.... this game is years late imo (I know I know - Vista), played on the xbox a loooooooong time ago, why would I even bother on the PC.

So what other games are coming out that will let PC and xbox players compete against each other? I know UT3, TF2, and QW are going to the consoles, but I haven't read anything that suggests cross platform multiplayer.
June 8, 2007 2:11:28 PM

Halo 2 on pc is a marketing gimic, you have to buy vista to use it so iow halo 2 = sales of a product that we would otherwise not touch. The jumping is supposed to be like that on halo cause it is a lower gravity environment, however the same seems to apply to you when you are on earth.... strange.

I will play it but i will do so when it is old and cheap. but being a microsh*te product that means in a very long time.
June 9, 2007 12:05:05 PM

Here's why I will never buy Halo2 for pc and why I would not recommend it to anyone:

1. U cannot play against Xbox 360 users (read GameSpot review) so u won't be able to wipe the floor with the console players (i would have got it just for that)
2. The game is 3 years old (the 'graphical improvements' for Vista are a total joke and dont use any DX10)
3. Even though it's old it has a price of a premium title
4. You have to pay to play it online (for a PC FPS that doesn't even allow you to play the console players to require a fee to play online is a complete outrage)
5. If you want to see how the story turned out in Halo 2 you can rent the game

For those who believe that the Xbox controller is better at anything than keyboard + mouse you are just plain wrong (it's not a matter of opinion or personal preference, it's a matter of believing everything M$ throws your way instead of evaluating your options).
June 9, 2007 6:31:15 PM

Quote:

whhhaaaaat. please explain. you must have a strong left hand.

That's how i used to play. Controller in left. Mouse in right. I definitely works. I stopped using that setup b/c it was very hard to dodge in the unreal games. so i crossed over and will never go back.

I'd also like to add that the auto-aim feature of halo 2 with the xbox controller is so whack. that's just plain retarded.
June 11, 2007 1:12:02 PM

Quote:
Here's why I will never buy Halo2 for pc and why I would not recommend it to anyone:

1. U cannot play against Xbox 360 users (read GameSpot review) so u won't be able to wipe the floor with the console players (i would have got it just for that)
2. The game is 3 years old (the 'graphical improvements' for Vista are a total joke and dont use any DX10)
3. Even though it's old it has a price of a premium title
4. You have to pay to play it online (for a PC FPS that doesn't even allow you to play the console players to require a fee to play online is a complete outrage)
5. If you want to see how the story turned out in Halo 2 you can rent the game

For those who believe that the Xbox controller is better at anything than keyboard + mouse you are just plain wrong (it's not a matter of opinion or personal preference, it's a matter of believing everything M$ throws your way instead of evaluating your options).

Point of correction - YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR ONLINE PLAY. There is a "gold" account that keeps all your stats and stuff, buy you can play with others w/ a silver account (free).
June 11, 2007 2:33:56 PM

Well if I am not wrong other games keep persistent stats for free BF2 (not that I play it) and Act of War are just two examples, anyways all other points I mentioned should keep the majority of sane gaming population away from the game. The point is: that game is an insult to the pc gaming community: not only did it take 3 years to port it from xbox, the game is also Vista only without any reason other than MicroCrap's marketing of Vista bloatware. In addition to all that the game is basically unchanged from the Xbox version.

Microsoft is lately going the road of screwing over the pc gamers, another example of that is the newly-released Shadow Run. The game is a multiplayer- focused title that has according to reviews poor graphics, limited content and is Vista only, it is also very buggy. Now I cannot be sure about the buggyness of the game but the screenshots do illustrate the 'poor graphics' of the game and '9 maps, 3 game modes, no editor' definitely comes under limited content in my book, I mean you could get free games or mods with significantly more maps and modes than that.

I just hope that sales of both games will be low enough for M$ to make a loss so that they will start making titles that are worth purchasing.
June 11, 2007 7:33:33 PM

I was reading a review about the Live for PC and it doesnt look good for the modding community. The reason I luv PC games is for the mods, talk about replay value. But the Live compatable games probably will not allow any mods because of the Xbox consoles. Too bad, because if there were no mods we would not have CS or BF2 just to mention a few.

Talk about stunting creativity!
June 11, 2007 7:35:24 PM

I was reading a review about the Live for PC and it doesnt look good for the modding community. The reason I luv PC games is for the mods, talk about replay value. But the Live compatable games probably will not allow any mods because of the Xbox consoles. Too bad, because if there were no mods we would not have CS or BF2 just to mention a few.

Talk about stunting creativity!
June 12, 2007 12:43:28 AM

That is very disappointing, I mean I had like 5 modes for Quake 3, 7 for CnC Gens and I already have about 20 for SupCom. If live doesn't even allow for mods then there is absolutely no way that I will sigh up.
June 13, 2007 3:04:20 PM

Ignoring the spam above...

THE MOST FUSTRATING thing about Halo PC is that YOU CAN NOT PROGRAM MOUSE BUTTONS -- WTF!!! :x

It comes with these "profiles"... and your stuck with it for mouse and gamepad. Has anybody been able to work around this!
June 13, 2007 4:06:47 PM

What does Halo 2 actually get right?
June 14, 2007 6:56:56 PM

I thought it was right, and that was to make it fair for pc vs xbox gamers.

Surely there must be a way to change the mouse sensitivity?
June 15, 2007 3:47:57 PM

Quote:
I thought it was right, and that was to make it fair for pc vs xbox gamers.

Surely there must be a way to change the mouse sensitivity?

I have a mouse that has a sensitivity button... that's not the issue... it's that you can't change the button mappings on anything (mouse, keyboard, or gamepad).

They have 4 defaults... which are really lame.

What serious PC shooter doesn't let you map buttons???

I was playing the other night:

1) the servers are VERY empty (hard to fill a 16 person game)

2) there is a stupid button that allows anybody from stopping a game from launching... 1 person is often stopping the server over and over... and you don't know who it is.

3) the voice IP is HORRIBLE... really really bad. I thought xbox live was supposed to be great for this?

4) The maps are small and YOU SPAWN NEXT TO YOUR ENEMIES SPAWNING W/IN SECONDS OF EACH OTHER... 50% of the time I die within 0.5 secs of spawning because of this... and it's not even "camping"... just that you spawn and your enemy spawns right after you (run 2 steps foward and the new person spawning has an easy kill -- your back). It's so bad that the first thing I do when I spawn is jump backwards. 8O

5) Rocket games... so many "rocket only games"... boring and lame

6) Does not support 22 inch screen or more native resolution!!!! I have a 1650X1050 22" monitor... the max video option is 1280x960. Is this a new game or what???

I know it sounds like griping, but I loved Halo for Xbox... didn't play Halo 2 on xbox... so I was really looking forward to this on my new PC.
June 19, 2007 9:02:15 AM

Halo and Halo 2 are crap games. They got the console kids ina tizzy cos they never had anything like it before whilst the pc had games like Halo and games that surpassed Halo in all areas when the first one was released.

I still fail to see how people get excited by it when there are so many other quality shooters out there.

I would have to say, console versus pc would be the onnnnnnly selling point cos it's drives me mad to see people saying a gamepad is better for fps's than a mouse + keyboard. Would love to see just how long it would take to have the pc users kicked off primarily console occupied servers for just being too good :) 
June 19, 2007 12:31:15 PM

I thought original Halo was good when it first came out on a console. When it came out for PC though it was nothing new. The good thing about it though was that it had free multiplayer. Halo 2 on the other hand is a complete ripoff with it's premium title price and unjustified Vista exclusivity.
June 19, 2007 4:31:27 PM

Quote:

THE MOST FUSTRATING thing about Halo PC is that YOU CAN NOT PROGRAM MOUSE BUTTONS -- WTF!!! :x

It comes with these "profiles"... and your stuck with it for mouse and gamepad. Has anybody been able to work around this!

Wrong. Took me 5 seconds to change my mouse buttons and keyboard settings.
June 19, 2007 7:31:47 PM

Quote:

Wrong. Took me 5 seconds to change my mouse buttons and keyboard settings.

Yep, got that working too. You can not program the gamepad buttons.

The game blows in multiplayer... I've given up on it. $50 down the drain... oh well.
June 19, 2007 8:19:33 PM

As much as I loved the original Halo for PC I personally will not be buying a $40 game that first requires me to spend $250 to upgrade to an operating system that in general performs worse with gaming applications than the XP[64] system I (and probably 90% of PC users) am currently running.

I consider it arrogant of M$ to produce a game (now 3+ years old) that 'requires a DX10 operating system' even though the graphics are by no means dazzling by todays standards and could quite adequately be handled by DX9. Maybe M$ think people will buy Vista just so they can play the game but I think most people will pass at least for now. Once there are enough 'decent' games out there requiring DX10 and my computer performance has dropped to the point where I feel I need to build a new one then I'll probably put in a Vista operating system but until that happens. . . .

If MS were to introduce a DX10 upgrade for the Windows XP suite so Halo II would run on non-Vista versions of windows I think I would fork out the money but I'll pass for now. Only snag is if M$ were to introduce a DX10 upgrade for XP it could reduce the market for Vista - after all XP is pretty well good enough for most things gaming.
June 20, 2007 5:26:07 AM

Yeah, I will only get Vista when when Crysis and Unreal 3 come out, till then there really is no reason to get it, Halo 2 and Shadowrun are just insults and the OS does absolutely nothing different or better than what I can already do on a tried and tested XP.
!