Ring of DEATH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well just my luck, my 360 has went and blown up. And guess what it was one of the first ones released, what a surprise. Seems like early Xbox 360 stopping working after a number of months after the warranty is up is nothing new and that it is a common problem.

Click Here

Going to try the towel trick when I get back to see if that does anything, if not I will use it as a big paper weight till I can get £85 that they will want for a repair…

P.s. Xbox customer support is completely shite.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
i know the xbox has a problem, but how bad is it. with all the bashing going on between the xbox and ps3, its hard to tell whats what. are there any numbers of mow many xbox systems have gone bad?

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Well just my luck, my 360 has went and blown up. And guess what it was one of the first ones released, what a surprise. Seems like early Xbox 360 stopping working after a number of months after the warranty is up is nothing new and that it is a common problem.
P.s. Xbox customer support is completely shite.

The 360 has been released here in the states for over a year , the original warranty was 90 days, I dont know how long since it was released in the uk but the warranty time has nothing to do with the 3rlod, i had a brand new elite that died after about 6 hours of play, Unfortunatly i voided the warranty but fortunatly i have had sucess repairing them.

i know the xbox has a problem, but how bad is it. with all the bashing going on between the xbox and ps3, its hard to tell whats what. are there any numbers of mow many xbox systems have gone bad?

I think max console had on its news page 600k units had been returned to msft , many more were not returned.

with all of its problems its still the best console out. I have em all and i always end up playing the 360.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Well the towel trick worked for a few hours but then it messed up again, but the good thing is that Microsoft have said they will take it back and fix it within 15 working days for free even though I said I did not know if it was under a year that I have had it or not. Also the manufacturing date of the consol was 26/01/2006, I am not sure if that had anything to do with it?

sn0b0ard

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
It might have something to do with the X clamps not seating properly. I heard somewhere that you can replace the X clamps on the motherboard of the 360 and it should work. It also could be that because of the heat that was generated in the 360, the board warped causing the cpu or ram to unseat, so you may want to put spacers under the motherboard to see if that helps.

Have you tried this?
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/6/16/4353

Twisted_Sister

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
There were some very popular youtube videos done on the Xbox failure (a british guy).

The first couple were pretty funny (he even put the overheating unit in his refrigerator).

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
It might have something to do with the X clamps not seating properly. I heard somewhere that you can replace the X clamps on the motherboard of the 360 and it should work. It also could be that because of the heat that was generated in the 360, the board warped causing the cpu or ram to unseat, so you may want to put spacers under the motherboard to see if that helps.

Have you tried this?
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/6/16/4353

While these statements are true and will help , a disclaimer should be posted be very carefull when removing xclamps , you can damage the mobo very easy, I have repaired many damaged mobos. And if its under warranty always ship it back

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I just think you may have done, this is the first consol to go on me and I have had almost every single consol bar the Jaguar and the Saturn since the master system days.

Just to update you all I am still waiting on Microsoft to even look at the consol even though they have had it for over 2 weeks now. Must have been the poor quality control on these consoles and the rush for them to be released that has had this effect. I wonder what the true ratio the Xbox360 has in returns, I would not be surprised if it was fairly high.

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
I was hoping one of our Xboxes here would get the ring of death, so we could demonstrate a cooler upgrade, or maybe a motherboard re solder. No such luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.