How can I increase the first 640K of memory in order to run a DOS based program that needs at least 605K?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You install memory managers and use UMB and HMA.

"PBP/HATS" <PBP/HATS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I increase the first 640K of memory in order to run a DOS based
program that needs at least 605K?

"PBP/HATS" <PBP/HATS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can I increase the first 640K of memory in order to run a DOS based program that needs at least 605K?

You configure the upper memory usage by adding the required entries to
the config.nt and autoexec.nt files in the \windows\system32 folder,
exactly as you would have them in config.sys and autoexec.bat
respectively for a DOS 6.x system.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

PBP/HATS wrote:

>How can I increase the first 640K of memory in order to run a DOS based program that needs at least 605K?

For best DOS conventional memory, edit the windows\system32\config.nt
and autoexec.nt files.

In config.nt have (apart from the large number of REM lines) just
EMM = B=4000 RAM
(note the exact spaces - either side of the first = and before RAM,
none next to the second =) and

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
(or higher files= if needed)

and in autoexec.nt have

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

with other earlier lh lines REM ed out, and then any SET or PATH lines
that may already be present at the end.

This should give about 612K for a program, run from a shortcut made to
its .exe file. R-click the shortcut, Properties and on the Memory page
you can set an explicit value - rather than Auto - for any EMM or XMS
memory it may need, and for initial environment space