Printing without color cartridge

A friend was given a HP Deskjet 692C that had a B/W cartridge, but no color
cartridge, and it won't print. I have found nothing at HP about this
specific situation, and I believe a similar question was asked here, but I
did not see an answer.

Is it possible to print with a missing color cartridge?

Thanks very much.

Bob McEachern

looks like I am about 6yrs late on this reply -- but I have the same issue where it appears the crafty folks at HP make you install a HP78 color even if you just want to only print in black/white on HP 45-- any work-arounds that anyone may know of? Guessing just another money maker for HP?