Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 multiple activations?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 16, 2010 2:25:48 PM

Hello everyone, had a question concerning a licensed copy of windows 7 im buying. This is what the seller is saying:

"Windows 7 Ultimate full retail version with 32 bit and 64 bit discs. Key has been used on the samsung hard drive only. Before i tore the pc apart i put the disc and reformatted so the key is no longer in use. I don't know if you could use the windows or not."

What im wondering is if i will be able to install it on my pc without any problems? and aslo how many pc's could i install it on?

Thank you for you time!!!!
a b $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 2:34:34 PM

Yes, one PC.
If Microsoft finds it on more than one they can disable it on all PC's.
August 16, 2010 2:37:09 PM

mhelm1 said:
Yes, one PC.

sweet, right know im running a hacked windows 7 (still gettting updates and everything), would there be any benefit to upgrading to a legal copy? (he's asking 65 shipped)
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 3:46:40 PM

Hi oz73942,

The purchase is risky. Windows 7 comes with one license meaning it can be installed on one computer only. If the seller has already used the key, you will not be able to use it on your computer. The only way to get a guaranteed copy of genuine Windows is to purchase for a reputable retailer (ie Best Buy), a Microsoft Partner, or from the Microsoft store online.

Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
August 16, 2010 4:17:25 PM

hmmmm, i'm going to pass on the deal, dont want to throw money away, thank you for the responses
August 16, 2010 4:17:42 PM

Best answer selected by oz73942.
a b $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 4:27:28 PM

it is possible to buy activation keys, substantially cheaper than box set, but you need a copy of 7 to install
August 16, 2010 5:00:19 PM

cassandraf_winteam said:
Hi oz73942,

The purchase is risky. Windows 7 comes with one license meaning it can be installed on one computer only. If the seller has already used the key, you will not be able to use it on your computer. The only way to get a guaranteed copy of genuine Windows is to purchase for a reputable retailer (ie Best Buy), a Microsoft Partner, or from the Microsoft store online.

Cassandra

ok, what if it is not installed anymore, and no longer in any use? the guy said he formatted his harddrive before the teardown of his comp
thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 9:37:23 PM

It is possible to transfer the license of a full retail copy of Windows 7 from one computer to another. This transfer of a license requires a call to Microsoft in order to activate. There is also no way for you to know if the seller is being honest with you or not (there are many scams out there). For these reasons, you should stay away from that purchase.

Cheers,
Cassandra
!