General slow running problems

July 29, 2004 10:35:05 AM

can anyone help? Have started experiencing slow startup with Outlook Express (version 6) as well as internet explorer. Outlook takes ages to show the program screen when double clicking the icon and seems to freeze up when getting the screen layout sorted. Once this is up, clicking on something takes ages to follow through and I have had several times that when trying to check for any mail, I get the error screen telling me that there was no connection to the server. I can close the program down then opening it again gives me the connection.
I have Norton Systemworks installed and there are no errors found when I run through the checks available and I have Zonealarms firewall too.
This problem is not only on startup - the time taken to get the programs to do something even after I have been on the computer for a while is still slow and even getting the start menu to come up is slow.
I am getting stuck now - I do a regular defrag and disk optimise along with virus scan and clear my redundant files out from surfing and temp files but do not know where to go next......
Heres hoping.....
--
Col

I came, I saw but still the wife gets the remote control.......
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 12:36:23 AM

Col <marshall@NoSpamPleaseGotPlentY.colsuze.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>can anyone help? Have started experiencing slow startup with Outlook Express (version 6) as well as internet explorer. Outlook takes ages to show the program screen when double clicking the icon and seems to freeze up when getting the screen layout sorted. Once this is up, clicking on something takes ages to follow through and I have had several times that when trying to check for any mail, I get the error screen telling me that there was no connection to the server. I can close the program down then opening it again gives me the connection.
>I have Norton Systemworks installed and there are no errors found when I run through the checks available and I have Zonealarms firewall too.
>This problem is not only on startup - the time taken to get the programs to do something even after I have been on the computer for a while is still slow and even getting the start menu to come up is slow.
>I am getting stuck now - I do a regular defrag and disk optimise along with virus scan and clear my redundant files out from surfing and temp files but do not know where to go next......
>Heres hoping.....

How much RAM do you have? If you have 256 mb or less then it is
quite likely that additional RAM will have a beneficial effect on
overall performance.

Spyware is becoming a real problem, and a badly infested computer will
show many symptoms including slow performance. See MVP Jim
Eshelman's web page at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Try the quick online spyware scan (link in the left side column) and
then follow his Quick Fix recipe to clean up the computer.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

July 30, 2004 3:40:42 AM

Is your Outlook Express set up to open to Outlook Express or to the Inbox?
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/problems/performance...

Make sure that the option to "Compact messages in background" in Tools,
Options, Maintenance is deselected. Use instead manual compaction as
described in the housekeeping routine below.

Your problem could be Norton System Works running utilities in the
background.

Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
combination of factors. Listed
below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing poor
performance after
the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting of
Windows XP but the
list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the list
until you achieve an
acceptable result.

Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how often
you do it will depend
on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore (
more Options tab )
and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
partition you may
need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete
Cookies.
5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
visited is retained. Start,
Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
update Reference file
from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
parasites. If Spyware
persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over reliance
on virtual memory,
may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier
version of Windows.
Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256 MB
is
recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on pagefile
(virtual
memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where your
pagefile is located.
You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative Tools,
Services, Indexing
Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running. More
information here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing...

You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
programmes/windows after
use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started are
really necessary.
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular programme.
Look in Google to
see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a solution.
http://groups.google.com/

Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event Viewer by
selecting Start,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the
error, information
regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry