General slow running problems

can anyone help? Have started experiencing slow startup with Outlook Express (version 6) as well as internet explorer. Outlook takes ages to show the program screen when double clicking the icon and seems to freeze up when getting the screen layout sorted. Once this is up, clicking on something takes ages to follow through and I have had several times that when trying to check for any mail, I get the error screen telling me that there was no connection to the server. I can close the program down then opening it again gives me the connection.
I have Norton Systemworks installed and there are no errors found when I run through the checks available and I have Zonealarms firewall too.
This problem is not only on startup - the time taken to get the programs to do something even after I have been on the computer for a while is still slow and even getting the start menu to come up is slow.
I am getting stuck now - I do a regular defrag and disk optimise along with virus scan and clear my redundant files out from surfing and temp files but do not know where to go next......
Heres hoping.....
--
Col

I came, I saw but still the wife gets the remote control.......
2 answers Last reply
More about general slow running problems

    Col <marshall@NoSpamPleaseGotPlentY.colsuze.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

    >can anyone help? Have started experiencing slow startup with Outlook Express (version 6) as well as internet explorer. Outlook takes ages to show the program screen when double clicking the icon and seems to freeze up when getting the screen layout sorted. Once this is up, clicking on something takes ages to follow through and I have had several times that when trying to check for any mail, I get the error screen telling me that there was no connection to the server. I can close the program down then opening it again gives me the connection.
    >I have Norton Systemworks installed and there are no errors found when I run through the checks available and I have Zonealarms firewall too.
    >This problem is not only on startup - the time taken to get the programs to do something even after I have been on the computer for a while is still slow and even getting the start menu to come up is slow.
    >I am getting stuck now - I do a regular defrag and disk optimise along with virus scan and clear my redundant files out from surfing and temp files but do not know where to go next......
    >Heres hoping.....

    How much RAM do you have? If you have 256 mb or less then it is
    quite likely that additional RAM will have a beneficial effect on
    overall performance.

    Spyware is becoming a real problem, and a badly infested computer will
    show many symptoms including slow performance. See MVP Jim
    Eshelman's web page at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Try the quick online spyware scan (link in the left side column) and
    then follow his Quick Fix recipe to clean up the computer.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Is your Outlook Express set up to open to Outlook Express or to the Inbox?
    http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/problems/performance.htm

    Make sure that the option to "Compact messages in background" in Tools,
    Options, Maintenance is deselected. Use instead manual compaction as
    described in the housekeeping routine below.

    Your problem could be Norton System Works running utilities in the
    background.

    Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a
    combination of factors. Listed
    below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing poor
    performance after
    the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting of
    Windows XP but the
    list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the list
    until you achieve an
    acceptable result.

    Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how often
    you do it will depend
    on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:
    1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
    2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
    3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk
    Cleanup with
    Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), System Restore (
    more Options tab )
    and Recycle Bin selected for deletion. If you have more than one drive /
    partition you may
    need to do this operation for each drive / partition.
    4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete
    Cookies.
    5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

    Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites
    visited is retained. Start,
    Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

    Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or
    update Reference file
    from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove
    parasites. If Spyware
    persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

    Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over reliance
    on virtual memory,
    may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier
    version of Windows.
    Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256 MB
    is
    recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on pagefile
    (virtual
    memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
    http://www.dougknox.com/

    Check how much free space you have on the hard drive / partition where your
    pagefile is located.
    You need a minimum of 15% but 20% or more is better.

    Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative Tools,
    Services, Indexing
    Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running. More
    information here:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service

    You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close
    programmes/windows after
    use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started are
    really necessary.
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

    Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular programme.
    Look in Google to
    see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a solution.
    http://groups.google.com/

    Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event Viewer by
    selecting Start,
    Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the
    error, information
    regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "Col" <marshall@NoSpamPleaseGotPlentY.colsuze.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    > can anyone help? Have started experiencing slow startup with Outlook
    Express (version 6) as well as internet explorer. Outlook takes ages to show
    the program screen when double clicking the icon and seems to freeze up when
    getting the screen layout sorted. Once this is up, clicking on something
    takes ages to follow through and I have had several times that when trying
    to check for any mail, I get the error screen telling me that there was no
    connection to the server. I can close the program down then opening it again
    gives me the connection.
    > I have Norton Systemworks installed and there are no errors found when I
    run through the checks available and I have Zonealarms firewall too.
    > This problem is not only on startup - the time taken to get the programs
    to do something even after I have been on the computer for a while is still
    slow and even getting the start menu to come up is slow.
    > I am getting stuck now - I do a regular defrag and disk optimise along
    with virus scan and clear my redundant files out from surfing and temp files
    but do not know where to go next......
    > Heres hoping.....
    > --
    > Col
    >
    > I came, I saw but still the wife gets the remote control.......

Windows XP