Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
*shakes head*

Waste of money, you can get a good DDR board and an AXP 1800+ for less than that

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

neo2

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
really then what.I dont need ddr ram all i have is sdram and i dont want it to go to waste but is it really that much better that i need to get a ddr board and ddr ram?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well, first of all, what do you you need the computer for? If you don't mind losing some performance, you'll still get a decent computer with an Athlon and Sdr. Yes, an FIC Ad11 with an 1800+ and ddr is pretty good. Kinda barebones, but well performing. Is this used though or something? There are better new boards out there.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
What do you want to use your PC for ? If your goal is to build the cheapest PC then I guess one of the options you've mentioned already are okay. You'll be taking a big hit on performance though if you stick with the SDRAM.

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Most PC problems can be fixed by using a bigger hammer ***

neo2

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
i want a good gaming machine i have a geforce 3ti200 that i used on my p3933hz with sdr ram that was good until the mobo died. im not looking for the cheapest mobo just something that i can overclock and tweak but i dont want to let my sdr ram to go to waste but i will get ddr ram board if it is alot better.

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
I know what you mean about the SDRAM going to waste. I had a gig of the stuff laying around that I was going to use as the basis of a hot new gaming rig. After doing a little research it became painfully obvious that a P4 and SDRAM was a very silly combo. I ended up selling some of the RAM to local friends who were looking for cheap PC upgrades, and I kept a couple of 256MB sticks to upgrade my kids PC.

Speaking of my kids PC, I just upgraded it with an Asus TUSL2-C mobo and a PIII 1.2GHz Tualatin (socket 370). The board was about $95 shipped and the CPU was about about $110 shipped. Is your 933 a Slot 1 or socket 370 ?

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Most PC problems can be fixed by using a bigger hammer ***

neo2

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
socket 370
i also want to know if my 400w3.3v@15a ps will work on an amd mobo. and what mobo would you recommend.

Your power supply should work fine if it has the standard 20 pin atx connector. You can get by with pc133 sdram. I would get the xp2000 and not rely on overclocking. The cheaper and slightly slower boards don't have much overclocking options. Newegg has 2 refurbished biostar boards (one with video which takes either sdram or ddram, and one without for ddram only) and you can download the manual off biostar's website, and unzip it in about 5 minutes. They don't have voltage adjustments, which are required for serious overclocking, but with the 2000, you won't need to overclock. I use a program called aladdin systems which unzips anything, a free download. The 2000 is about $96 oem shipped; a coolermaster dp5 fan runs about $11; and the motherboard is $56. Total cost about $163.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by o1die on 09/12/02 06:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
As long as your PS has the correct ATX connector it should work great (20 pin). As for an AMD mobo, someone else will have to help you there since I don't know anything about them, except to say they are VERY cheap compared to the Intel offerings.

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Whoa...I just figured out how to make my text <font color=blue> Red </font color=blue>, <font color=white> White </font color=white> and <font color=red> Blue </font color=red>...Cool !!! ***