MSGINA warn dialog when installing Lotus Notes on XP pro

Hi,

I recently formatted and installed Win XP pro.

When trying to install Lotus Notes client r5.x, I am
prompted with a dialog saying

Lotus Notes v5.x installs an older version of MSGINA which
controls the way you log in to Windows. As a result,
certain new Windows features might be disabled, including
Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Remote
Desktop. For more information, contact Lotus.

I ignored the warning as Lotus Notes is a primary software.
Can i now upgrade the MSGINA that Lotus Notes has
overwritten - How/ Where can I find it/ What is it ?

tia
g1
5 answers Last reply
More about msgina warn dialog installing lotus notes

    Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to:

    Look in the right pane for a value called GinaDLL. If it exists, it should read MSGINA.DLL. It should not have a path (C:\Windows\System32\msgina.dll, for example).. If not, simply right click the MSGINA.DLL value and select Delete. This will force Windows to load the normal MSGINA.DLL.
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Jeevan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:691001c47572$bf25e5f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently formatted and installed Win XP pro.
    >
    > When trying to install Lotus Notes client r5.x, I am
    > prompted with a dialog saying
    >
    > Lotus Notes v5.x installs an older version of MSGINA which
    > controls the way you log in to Windows. As a result,
    > certain new Windows features might be disabled, including
    > Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Remote
    > Desktop. For more information, contact Lotus.

    > I ignored the warning as Lotus Notes is a primary software.
    > Can i now upgrade the MSGINA that Lotus Notes has
    > overwritten - How/ Where can I find it/ What is it ?
    >
    > tia
    > g1

    Hi,

    Did not locate GinaDLL in the right-hand-side for the the
    reg key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

    But there exists a msgina.dll in system32.
    Size: 949Kb
    File ver: 5.1.2600.1343 (xpsp2.040109-1800)

    Should I delete it? (Did not find a msgina.dll in system32
    \dllcache!)

    thks
    g1

    Smart Display
    >Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >http://www.dougknox.com
    >--------------------------------
    >Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm
    >--------------------------------
    >Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    >"Jeevan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:691001c47572$bf25e5f0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I recently formatted and installed Win XP pro.
    >>
    >> When trying to install Lotus Notes client r5.x, I am
    >> prompted with a dialog saying
    >>
    >> Lotus Notes v5.x installs an older version of MSGINA
    which
    >> controls the way you log in to Windows. As a result,
    >> certain new Windows features might be disabled,
    including
    >> Fast User Switching, Remote Assistance, and Remote
    >> Desktop. For more information, contact Lotus.

    >> I ignored the warning as Lotus Notes is a primary
    software.
    >> Can i now upgrade the MSGINA that Lotus Notes has
    >> overwritten - How/ Where can I find it/ What is it ?
    >>
    >> tia
    >> g1

    No, you should not delete this file. It is the MS version of MSGina and you want it.

    See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Fix Windows XP Logon. This small utility will check the Gina setting, and allow you to correct it, if it differs from what it should be.

    "Jeevan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:715101c47621$91c40ec0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Did not locate GinaDLL in the right-hand-side for the the
    > reg key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
    >
    > But there exists a msgina.dll in system32.
    > Size: 949Kb
    > File ver: 5.1.2600.1343 (xpsp2.040109-1800)
    >
    > Should I delete it? (Did not find a msgina.dll in system32
    > \dllcache!)
    >
    > thks
    > g1

    Sorry for the late reply.

    But I renamed the Msgina.dll (949 Kb).
    The "WinXP recovery mechanism" detected it and a new
    msgina.dll appeared in \system32.
    The new one is 946 Kb and has
    File ver 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

    And I am able to control my PC thru remote desktop from
    another m/c. So I guess the problem brought about by Lotus
    Notes is solved.

    thks
    g1

    When you renamed the file, Windows File Protection kicked and replaced it from the Syste32\dllcache folder.

    "Jeevan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c01f01c479f2$c59688c0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
    > Sorry for the late reply.
    >
    > But I renamed the Msgina.dll (949 Kb).
    > The "WinXP recovery mechanism" detected it and a new
    > msgina.dll appeared in \system32.
    > The new one is 946 Kb and has
    > File ver 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
    >
    > And I am able to control my PC thru remote desktop from
    > another m/c. So I guess the problem brought about by Lotus
    > Notes is solved.
    >
    > thks
    > g1

Lotus Dialog Windows XP