Sign in with
Your question

Counter Strike Source - Firewall Issues

Last response: in Video Games
June 2, 2007 2:56:27 PM

Hi all,

Whenever I try to play CSS, it continually looks for servers and when I stop the refresh, it says: "Could not connect to master server". Whenever I turn off my software firewall (Kerio Personal Firewall), everything works fine. The problem is, I have no idea how to use the packet filter in the firewall to let something of my choice through. Could someone explain how I can get the game to work please (and if possible, the different sections of the packet filter for future reference)?

Thanks; all help is appreciated :) .
June 5, 2007 5:34:17 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Whenever I try to play CSS, it continually looks for servers and when I stop the refresh, it says: "Could not connect to master server". Whenever I turn off my software firewall (Kerio Personal Firewall), everything works fine. The problem is, I have no idea how to use the packet filter in the firewall to let something of my choice through. Could someone explain how I can get the game to work please (and if possible, the different sections of the packet filter for future reference)?

Thanks; all help is appreciated :) .

If you are behind a router the firewall on your computer isnt really required. And ive never heard of Kerio firewall.

Best bet would be to get rid of Kerio and use your router's firewall.
June 6, 2007 9:53:56 AM

If you have a good router the firewall on that will be more than good enough. Normal routers have something called NAT, which is basically a simplified version of a firewall. It is good enough for most people to use with out having any software running on your PC so unless your hording top secret documents I don’t really think you need anything else. Saying that if you really must you can go out and get a router like I did with a built in firewall but I don’t use my one as I found that NAT was more than good enough. A real hardware firewall is very strict in the job it does however meaning that it takes a while to set up.
Related resources
June 6, 2007 5:49:20 PM

Quote:
If you have a good router the firewall on that will be more than good enough. Normal routers have something called NAT, which is basically a simplified version of a firewall. It is good enough for most people to use with out having any software running on your PC so unless your hording top secret documents I don�t really think you need anything else. Saying that if you really must you can go out and get a router like I did with a built in firewall but I don�t use my one as I found that NAT was more than good enough. A real hardware firewall is very strict in the job it does however meaning that it takes a while to set up.

Exactly. The inherit design of routers that use NAT makes them simple firewalls, which is more than enough for most users. And why use a 3rd party firewall? If you are still paranoid, just turn on Windows Firewall.

The only time you would need your own firewall running on the computer would be when you are at a public hotspot using your laptop or something. And even then, sorry to burst people's bubbles, but your data is most likely not worth stealing.

Too much "identity theft fear mongering" in my opinion.
June 17, 2007 7:50:54 PM

Hey , can somebody help me ? When I try to start counter strike source then appears one window which tells : FAILED TO SET VIDEO MODE ,,,,

I got a computer :

Intel Pentium 4 , 1.6Ghz
256 MB RAM . etc

Can somebody help me , plz ?
June 17, 2007 11:33:46 PM

Hey , can somebody help me ? When I try to start counter strike source then appears one window which tells : FAILED TO SET VIDEO MODE ,,,,

I got a computer :

Intel Pentium 4 , 1.6Ghz
256 MB RAM
64 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400

Can somebody help me , plz ?
!