HP PSC 2510 and TrayApp installer problem

Installed this and whenever I try to run either HP Director or the HP
Digital Imaging Monitor it tries to install something called TrayApp.
It then asks me to point to the trayapp.msi on the Cd but then tells
me this is not a valid installation file.

I can't seem to get anything working yet with this software

Any ideas?

Thanks
Gordon
27 answers Last reply
More about 2510 trayapp installer problem

    I am having same thing.....please help.

    Identical problem heere....please hlep

    I get an error (1706) saying : no valid source can be found for product
    TrayApp- the windows installer can not continue"
    Anybody knows what is this about ?
    thanks hosseind

    > Gordonwrote:
    Installed this and whenever I try to run either HP Director or the
    HP
    > Digital Imaging Monitor it tries to install something called
    TrayApp.
    > It then asks me to point to the trayapp.msi on the Cd but then
    tells
    > me this is not a valid installation file.
    >
    > I can't seem to get anything working yet with this software
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gordon

    please plaese please!!!
    I'v got the same problem too and have no idea what to doo!
    Enyone, help!

    Thanks Carla

    I finally fixed it. I had the same error for a long time. Frustrating,
    isn't it!

    I was online with HP support for hours.

    It boils down to this. At some point, somewhere, somehow, all of you
    either deleted or uninstalled some printing or imaging software components
    from HP.

    If you have any CD's of recently installed printer software, like I did,
    insert the DVD/CD when prompted to install the TrayApp. Then, navigate to
    the folder on the disk called, "TrayApp", in there you will find a .msi
    installer called, "TrayApp".

    Click on that, hit OK and the Imaging Monitor should extract the trayapp
    automatically.

    Tray App installers are on the Image Zone Disks that came with your
    computer and almost alway on printer software installers.

    Good luck.
    Dave

    This is not the solution. I have done this a half dozen times and the
    problem keeps coming back.

    I think the problem is somehow related to a problem with .NET. My .NET
    Connection Service cannot start because it cannot find the executable
    in the path. It just a hunch that, becaue HP seems to use .NET very
    heavily, and, because, .NET can seem to be working while it is having
    esoteric problems, that this problem lies there.

    Greg Silverman
    Menlo Park, CA

    dmansure wrote:
    > I finally fixed it. I had the same error for a long time.
    Frustrating,
    > isn't it!
    >
    > I was online with HP support for hours.
    >
    > It boils down to this. At some point, somewhere, somehow, all of you
    > either deleted or uninstalled some printing or imaging software
    components
    > from HP.
    >
    > If you have any CD's of recently installed printer software, like I
    did,
    > insert the DVD/CD when prompted to install the TrayApp. Then,
    navigate to
    > the folder on the disk called, "TrayApp", in there you will find a
    ..msi
    > installer called, "TrayApp".
    >
    > Click on that, hit OK and the Imaging Monitor should extract the
    trayapp
    > automatically.
    >
    > Tray App installers are on the Image Zone Disks that came with your
    > computer and almost alway on printer software installers.
    >
    > Good luck.
    > Dave

    Ugh! Did Bill Gates or Steve Ballmer kiss Carly to get HP to use .NET ???
    This is a needless complcation and explains why HP printer software installs
    often get screwed up !!!! ... Ben Myers

    On 27 Feb 2005 12:38:06 -0800, gbs@netbox.com wrote:

    >This is not the solution. I have done this a half dozen times and the
    >problem keeps coming back.
    >
    >I think the problem is somehow related to a problem with .NET. My .NET
    >Connection Service cannot start because it cannot find the executable
    >in the path. It just a hunch that, becaue HP seems to use .NET very
    >heavily, and, because, .NET can seem to be working while it is having
    >esoteric problems, that this problem lies there.
    >
    >Greg Silverman
    >Menlo Park, CA
    >

    >dmansure wrote:
    >> I finally fixed it. I had the same error for a long time.
    >Frustrating,
    >> isn't it!
    >>
    >> I was online with HP support for hours.
    >>
    >> It boils down to this. At some point, somewhere, somehow, all of you
    >> either deleted or uninstalled some printing or imaging software
    >components
    >> from HP.
    >>
    >> If you have any CD's of recently installed printer software, like I
    >did,
    >> insert the DVD/CD when prompted to install the TrayApp. Then,
    >navigate to
    >> the folder on the disk called, "TrayApp", in there you will find a
    >.msi
    >> installer called, "TrayApp".
    >>
    >> Click on that, hit OK and the Imaging Monitor should extract the
    >trayapp
    >> automatically.
    >>
    >> Tray App installers are on the Image Zone Disks that came with your
    >> computer and almost alway on printer software installers.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >> Dave

    I had the same problem with trayapp install at windows start.

    We actually fix temporarly the problem with inserting the HP CD at the
    dialog box asking for stuff like "trayapp.msi" and "fax.msi".

    The problem is coming back after using registry mechanic. I think it
    is due to incompatibility between those both softwares. If you do not
    want the problem to come again, watch the items selected by registry
    mechanic and avoid deleting key referring to HP stuffs

    I have an HP Officejet 7410 all in one. I get the same error after running
    Registry First Aid 4.0 Loading TrayApp.msi from the setup disk does
    re-enable HP DIM and it places the icon back in the system tray-- until
    you run RFA 4.0 again. The registry entries that refer to TrayApp and
    other essential HP Director software need to be excluded from the RFA 4.0
    search, even though RFA 4.0 views these files as "safe to correct with
    default suggested correction."

    The fix involving finding the trayapp file on an HP install disk
    worked for me.

    I've got the same problem with my "All-In-One" HP Photosmart 2710. The
    solution (restart with inserted HP-CD) worked fine. :D

    Hi gang,

    I have had that same nerve wracking problem! I got rid of it only to
    have it rear its ugly head again after installing Windows XP Service
    Pack 2 that was sent to me free of charge. (I did so many things that
    I can't recall which 'solution' cured it that time.)

    Believe me when I say I had a few "air-turning-blue" words dircted to
    King Bill. I figured he was going to shorten my life one way or
    another through my computer. :?

    Then today I saw that someone, (too lazy to check backwards in this
    forum to find out who), mentioned 'HP Image Zone'. WHOA!! I
    immediately insertd my M305 camera disk, removed the works and
    reinstalled it.

    So far, great! ... But I'm going to think twice before I have the guts
    to install another program. This has really put the fear into me!!
    :oops: :oops: :oops:

    Charlie

    This is a crazy-making business, all right. My PC finally crashed
    and I did a full system recovery, forgot my AOL password for two
    days, kept trying to sign on with guesses all that time.

    My husband knew I'd finally hit on it, I suppose, and wouldn't call
    them, as the account holder. I'll have to think of something to pay
    him back.

    They ask "security questions" such as your pet's name. I gave all
    the pets we've ever had, since our affiliation with them, and they
    said none was correct. That can't be right. They didn't even look.

    My Word Perfect disk must be getting worn out and a few files would
    not install or a path could not be created. I think I might get
    Publisher. And maybe even a $200 XP disk. Anyone know how to
    clean out the built-in version? Or do you even have to?

    This is a crazy-making business, all right. My PC finally crashed
    and I did a full system recovery, forgot my AOL password for two
    days, kept trying to sign on with guesses all that time.

    My husband knew I'd finally hit on it, I suppose, and wouldn't call
    them, as the account holder. I'll have to think of something to pay
    him back.

    They ask "security questions" such as your pet's name. I gave all
    the pets we've ever had, since our affiliation with them, and they
    said none was correct. That can't be right. They didn't even look.

    My Word Perfect disk must be getting worn out and a few files would
    not install or a path could not be created. I think I might get
    Publisher. And maybe even a $200 XP disk. Anyone know how to
    clean out the built-in version? Or do you even have to?
    :shock:

    Eagle 1,
    What version of WordPerfect do you have???
    I might be able to help or direct you to the greatest WP group in the
    world!
    Don't get Publisher until we see about your WP.
    Charlie

    "My Word Perfect disk must be getting worn out and a few files would
    not install or a path could not be created. I think I might get
    Publisher."

    Hi, CG,

    I'm still using Version 9 because I really don't like all the extra's,
    Office 2000 or whatever, really just want Word Processing and nothing
    else. Now it says WP9 "file cannot be found" but my Norton scan
    showed my computer is full of it, also a search turns up 9
    components.

    Since my full System Recovery, I haven't yet re-installed Service Pack
    1 or 2 and all the other updates, or tried to re-install my HP
    All-in-One, 1310 Series, 1315. I believe someone in this forum said
    SP2 caused some problem. I'll have to read again. Wondering if I
    should install the printer/scanner first and then the Windows
    Updates.

    Another little thing, my Add/Remove is in Control Panel but creating
    a desktop icon is grayed out.

    Thanks much for your interest and reply.

    This CD fix also worked for me. It definently was caused by
    RegMechanic!

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HEWLET-PACKARD\DIGITALIMAGING\HP
    PHOTOSMART ****
    SERIES\DEVICEINSTANCES\4283CE5D00\STRINGS\\:INSTDATADIR

    Thsi is the registry key that casued my problem. when RegMechanic
    deleted it the problem started. After putting in the reg mechanic
    ignore list the problem went away.

    Okay, we avoid Reg Mechanic.

    Also, I bought Registry Repair Pro, and never did read the list
    of files it was going to delete, which I'm sure caused my
    recent crash. There are always backup files, which of course
    disappear the next time you do a scan. Since I'd paid for that
    software, I guess I trusted it.

    I have Ultra Win Cleaner, pretty good, but I never see it in stores
    any more, PC Doctor on Call 2 was good but it's gone too.
    Can't think of the names of some other ones I have had since before
    buying.

    Just now, an update for my HP All-in-One printer they had
    installed can't be found, Windows says, may have been moved, or my be
    in a network. But I've disabled networking. Also my invitation
    to register my re-install of it turned off before I could do
    that. Guess I'll go to their web site.

    At least now I have the HP Director and Image Zone. Haven't tried
    any scanning.

    > Gordonwrote:
    Installed this and whenever I try to run either HP Director or the
    HP
    > Digital Imaging Monitor it tries to install something called
    TrayApp.
    > It then asks me to point to the trayapp.msi on the Cd but then
    tells
    > me this is not a valid installation file.
    >
    > I can't seem to get anything working yet with this software
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gordon

    I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND I FOUND A DISK CALLED HP IMAGE ZONE WHICH I
    HAD INSTALLED PREVIOUSLY FOR AN HP MOBILE MEDIA COMPANION, AFTER THAT
    I INSTALLED AN HP PRINTER, WHICH CAUSED PROBLEMS AND I DESINSTALLED
    IT. THAT IS WHEN ALL MY PROBLEMS BEGAN WITH TRAYAPP. BUT FINALLLY I
    FOUNDTHIS DISK (HP IMAGE ZONE) WHIH WAS PROVIDED WITH THE HP MOBILE
    MEDIA COMPANION) AND PUT IT IN, REINICIATED MY COMPUTER AND IT PULLED
    THE TRYAPP FILES, NOW IT WORKS FINE.
    ALICE

    I have had problems with my broadband connection since this trayapp
    window appeared. I usually just close/cancel it but it takes about
    ten attempts to get rid of it. I was losing my broadband connection
    periodically and could only get it back by dialing any number on the
    phone, when I could hear it dialing just like it used to when I had a
    dial-up connection. It then disconnected from the broadband about a
    week ago and would only stay connected it the phone was engaged.
    Today I didn't try to close Trayapp because it was annoying my so I
    just moved the window to the bottom of my desktop. The Internet has
    been connected every since. HELP!

    I really love my little HP All in One, but how can I find out if it
    has a Twain driver, I know nothing about, trying to scan
    printed-out music back into a notation program that I lost in recent
    computer crash. Anyone know anything about that? Have SharpEye or any
    scan program? Music is considered pictures, only Tif files
    compatible with the notation program.

    For whatever this info is worth, System Restore, the rollback to an
    earlier date, will only work a certain number of times. I wasn't
    getting anywhere by using the HP disk, so was trying rollbacks,
    finally had to do a full F-10 key recovery. I don't know if that
    will help anyone.

    Wish MS would come out with a new XP home disk. People are still
    using the 2003 one. Or would that cause us new problems?

    I really love my little HP All in One, but how can I find out if it
    has a Twain driver, I know nothing about, trying to scan
    printed-out music back into a notation program that I lost in recent
    computer crash. Anyone know anything about that? Have SharpEye or any
    scan program?

    For whatever this info is worth, System Restore, the rollback to an
    earlier date, will only work a certain number of times. I wasn't
    getting anywhere by using the HP disk, so was trying rollbacks,
    finally had to do a full F-10 key recovery. I don't know if that
    will help anyone.

    One way to find out if your All in One has a Twain driver is to download
    IrfanView (written by Irfan, of course), a very useful and very much free image
    manipulation program. Using it, I can scan directly from my Twain complaint
    old-time SCSI scanner. Not sure if it will scan to a TIF image, though... Ben
    Myers

    On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:31:03 GMT, lesliebuc@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Eagle1)
    wrote:

    >I really love my little HP All in One, but how can I find out if it
    >has a Twain driver, I know nothing about, trying to scan
    >printed-out music back into a notation program that I lost in recent
    >computer crash. Anyone know anything about that? Have SharpEye or any
    >scan program? Music is considered pictures, only Tif files
    >compatible with the notation program.
    >
    >For whatever this info is worth, System Restore, the rollback to an
    >earlier date, will only work a certain number of times. I wasn't
    >getting anywhere by using the HP disk, so was trying rollbacks,
    >finally had to do a full F-10 key recovery. I don't know if that
    >will help anyone.
    >
    >Wish MS would come out with a new XP home disk. People are still
    >using the 2003 one. Or would that cause us new problems?

    Thanks much, Ben. I'm printing this out to try.

    I went to HP.com/support and downloaded a "full" version instead
    of the "basic" we probably all installed, (with dial-up it takes 20
    hrs!) but need to increase my virtual memory by 412.92MB for a
    gc_W01-EN (driver?) and I don't even want it if there isn't a
    Twain driver in it.

    I'll try your solution.

    Thanks much, Ben. I'm printing this out to try.

    I went to HP.com/support and downloaded a "full" version instead
    of the "basic" we probably all installed, but need to increase
    my virtual memory by 412.92MB for a gc_W01-EN (driver?) and I
    don't want it if there isn't a Twain driver in it. I'll try to
    contact them with a question.
  27. Quote:

    > Gordonwrote:
    Installed this and whenever I try to run either HP Director or the
    HP
    > Digital Imaging Monitor it tries to install something called
    TrayApp.
    > It then asks me to point to the trayapp.msi on the Cd but then
    tells
    > me this is not a valid installation file.
    >
    > I can't seem to get anything working yet with this software
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Gordon

    please plaese please!!!
    I'v got the same problem too and have no idea what to doo!
    Enyone, help!

    Thanks Carla

    Why would you just not uninstall hp products and reinstall them from the hp site? Is this not a simple fix?

Hewlett Packard Hardware Installer Computers