Sign in with
Your question

selling my Pentium D 820

Last response: in Deals
May 31, 2007 12:23:21 AM

first of all im sorry to post here but no one is noticing my post in the clasified joint

I'm selling my "old" computer, its specs are:

Intel Pentium D-820 (can be OC)
nVidia FX550 PCI 128mb (can be OC)
motherboard spec can be found at http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetai...
memory 2x512 667mhz 5-5-5-15
PATA hard drive 200GB
DVD burner (HP DVDi 840)
DVD drive
xion case II
PSU comes with the case 450watts
it doesnt has any stock heatsink for the processor
i built it in 2006 and i want to buy a new system so put your price

and if you have more question feel free to ask me

price $750 (negotiable)

More about : selling pentium 820

May 31, 2007 12:40:53 AM

You simply gotta be kidding with that price, unless that's 750 Zimbabwean dollars. That computer is worth $300 tops, and probably less.
May 31, 2007 1:44:15 AM

Your best bet is to advertise locally. Take a picture of your comptuer. Write down the specs below the picture. Take it to your local grocery store or some where you can post in on a poster board for free. Some local news papers will let you advertise for free if the price of the item is below a certain amount. I tend to agree with CS it is prob worth $300.00 bucks and that is being generous.

Get a new mother board, video card and cpu and use the rest of your stuff to build a new machine. Then try to sell the motherboard, cpu and video card for like $50.00. Or give it to a friend, neighbor, family member so they can put together a cheap system.

I had a ton (two boxes full) of old comptuer crap that I had in my garage. I put it all in a box and put an ad in the paper (Free comptuer stuff you pick up) Some guy came to my house (he told me he was going to sell it on ebay) good for you I said and handed him the boxes of stuff. The add cost me nothing. Junk out of my garage problem solved. I felt great. Now I am getting to the point where I will probably need to do that again.

Some ones junk is some one elses treasure.
Related resources
May 31, 2007 2:58:02 AM

:arrow: $750.00 is way to pricy for what you are offering dude,try $450.00
May 31, 2007 3:20:46 AM

Ya 750 is way to much but if you can talk to the right people they will buy it.
May 31, 2007 4:07:35 AM

As a general rule take that $750 and see what it would buy today. Compare your old equipment to new equipment.

Just take the basics. The Pent D is figuritively being given away in a box of crackerjacks. The hugest majority of builders today are using a Dual Core processor. If you were building a system today would you use a Pent D? If yes, then your processor is worth $, if no, then your processor is worth 0.

Catch the pattern?

When you get done with this process what do you really have? A case and a few odds and ends?

Another way to look at the pricing issue is compare your $ amount to what your perspective customer could purchase at Dell/CC/BB/OD etc for the same amount. $750 at any of those vendors is going to get ya a pretty spiffy computer with a warranty, some software and other goodies that will surf the web and do some basic games, word processing, photo editing etc. Why would that perspective customer give you that amount of $ if their $ goes further elsewhere.

Just remember Dell is selling stripped down computers for $300. You either have to be one heck of a salesman, or the product that you are selling must be worth more to the customer to justify the expenditure.
May 31, 2007 4:45:28 AM

The computer is worth ~$375(optimistically) assuming you are transferring a windows xp operating system and media.

Craigslist may be worth a shot for you.

FYI, I paid 650 in jan 06 for a very similar system.
May 31, 2007 4:46:00 AM

What StevieD said.

Your system is like mine, only most components other than the CPU are actually a little slower. I wouldn't expect to get more than $300 for my system as it stands, though I value it more than that for my personal use.

Many months ago, I helped my sister pick out a $600 computer from Dell that will leave my computer in the dust - other than the graphics, which she'd never use anyway. There have been two major CPU price cut rounds since then, and DDR2 prices are also way lower now. I would expect to see a halfway-decent C2D system for $750, and that's including $200 for the graphics.
May 31, 2007 4:52:46 AM

Wowsers. You can not sell your computer for what you bought it for when it first came out. I even think you are trying to make more money then what you bought it for. Either way listen to the advice, I would drop it for less then 40% of retail value if not more.
May 31, 2007 7:11:17 AM

Quote:

Intel Pentium D-820 (can be OC)
nVidia FX550 PCI 128mb (can be OC)
motherboard spec can be found at http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetai...
memory 2x512 667mhz 5-5-5-15
PATA hard drive 200GB
DVD burner (HP DVDi 840)
DVD drive
xion case II
PSU comes with the case 450watts
it doesnt has any stock heatsink for the processor

price $750 (negotiable)

Hmmm..... $750

This is what you can get at Dell for $440:

Dell E521

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core 3600+
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 2DIMMs
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Notice the disparity between your used system and a brand new system.

The only better in your old system is the hard drive is 40GB larger.

The GeForce FX series is notorious for being bad at DX9 games. I would prefer the Integrated GeForce 6150 over the FX5500 since it will be thrown away anyway.

If you are going to sell it on a technology forum, you should really drop the price down to no more than $250. Most people here knows the value of technology. And most people wouldn't touch an overclocked CPU unless it is backed up by some type of reasonable warranty from the vendor.

As someone stated before, advertise in a local newspaper or something similar. Maybe that way a sucker would be tempted to pay $750 for obsolete technology.
May 31, 2007 7:21:19 AM

That Dell quote has to include a monitor... I configured a similar computer here for CAN$549.

Components
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 3800+
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
No Monitor
Free Upgrade to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM AT 667MHz - $150
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
16x DVD+/-RW Drive
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Integrated Graphics GPU
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Ah... I went to the link you put up and got a price of US$409 for the 3600+ and 1GB memory.
May 31, 2007 7:24:58 AM

No, a monitor is not included.
May 31, 2007 8:31:17 AM

Yeah, those parts are used and with the cheaper price of other higher performance components out there, you can't just ask for $750. Unless if you are a slick used car salesman. You can get around $250-$350 on that system. Paint the case with cool colors and design to get more appeal to it.
!