Lost typical XP (home) window

Have lost the ability to see the typical XP (h) window, i.e. when I open MY DOCUMENTS I see the display of the contents BUT I DO NOT SEE the area that should be on the left hand side of the screen that displays options that can be selected to work with the documents in the folder (such as Make a new folder, Publish this folder to he Web, Share the folder. Also n the left side is a section called "Other Places.

Same thing happens when I click on MY PICTURES. NO LEFT HAND OPTION AREA APPEARS. Files do appear however.

How do I get this LEFT HAND portion of the window back ?
--
Gene B
3 answers Last reply

    Open "My Documents" and click Tools -- Folder Option

    Select the radio button "Show common tasks in Folders"

    See if that works...

    --
    Best of luck!

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have lost the ability to see the typical XP (h) window, i.e. when I open
    MY DOCUMENTS I see the display of the contents BUT I DO NOT SEE the area
    that should be on the left hand side of the screen that displays options
    that can be selected to work with the documents in the folder (such as Make
    a new folder, Publish this folder to he Web, Share the folder. Also n the
    left side is a section called "Other Places.

    > Same thing happens when I click on MY PICTURES. NO LEFT HAND OPTION AREA
    APPEARS. Files do appear however.

    > How do I get this LEFT HAND portion of the window back ?
    > --
    > Gene B

    Michael:

    Thank you very much. Your suggestion did exactly what I was looking for !!!
    --
    Gene B

    "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:

    > Open "My Documents" and click Tools -- Folder Option
    >
    > Select the radio button "Show common tasks in Folders"
    >
    > See if that works...
    >
    > --
    > Best of luck!
    >
    > Michael D. Alligood
    > MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    > Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI
    >

    > "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Have lost the ability to see the typical XP (h) window, i.e. when I open
    > MY DOCUMENTS I see the display of the contents BUT I DO NOT SEE the area
    > that should be on the left hand side of the screen that displays options
    > that can be selected to work with the documents in the folder (such as Make
    > a new folder, Publish this folder to he Web, Share the folder. Also n the
    > left side is a section called "Other Places.
    > >
    > > Same thing happens when I click on MY PICTURES. NO LEFT HAND OPTION AREA
    > APPEARS. Files do appear however.
    > >
    > > How do I get this LEFT HAND portion of the window back ?
    > > --
    > > Gene B

    Not a problem... Glad I could help...

    --

    > Michael:
    >
    > Thank you very much. Your suggestion did exactly what I was looking for
    !!!
    > --
    > Gene B
    >

    > "Michael D. Alligood" wrote:
    >
    > > Open "My Documents" and click Tools -- Folder Option
    > >
    > > Select the radio button "Show common tasks in Folders"
    > >
    > > See if that works...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of luck!
    > >
    > > Michael D. Alligood
    > > MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    > > Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI
    > >

    > > "Gene" <Gene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Have lost the ability to see the typical XP (h) window, i.e. when I
    open
    > > MY DOCUMENTS I see the display of the contents BUT I DO NOT SEE the area
    > > that should be on the left hand side of the screen that displays options
    > > that can be selected to work with the documents in the folder (such as
    Make
    > > a new folder, Publish this folder to he Web, Share the folder. Also n
    the
    > > left side is a section called "Other Places.
    > > >
    > > > Same thing happens when I click on MY PICTURES. NO LEFT HAND OPTION
    AREA
    > > APPEARS. Files do appear however.
    > > >
    > > > How do I get this LEFT HAND portion of the window back ?
    > > > --
    > > > Gene B

My Documents Microsoft Windows XP