Sign in with
Your question

Can someone give me some advice? (Iam a computer novice)

Last response: in Video Games
June 7, 2007 3:42:54 PM

[/b]Ok, recently my computer literally exploded lol 8O . I havent upgraded my computer in a long time and i have alot of questions because i dont know much about computers. If someone with alot of broad knowledge could lend me a hand would be much appreciated :D 
My old computer had these specs:
-1gb DDR ram (cant remember the mhz)
-80 gb hd
-asus p4s800 agp/ddr old mother board lol
-p4 3.0ghz intel proscessor
-512mb 16xagp sapphire Ati video card DDR 2
-250w Power supply (which was the cause of the explosion i think?!)

Those were my old specs and my motherboard processor and power supply are now toast cuz i was trying to run the game S.T.A.L.K.E.R shadow of chernobyl and my computer couldnt handle it.

I now plan to build a new computer, and some advice/feedback would be absolutely appreciated and helpful. So heres my plan:
I want to keep the same HD 80GB, I need to get a new power supply i was thinking 350w at a decent price, i definately need a new processor for the price i was looking at the E4300 core2duo intel processor. I need a new motherboard now one that can mount the E4300 and one that takes DDR2 memory now instead of DDR. I will also put some more ram onto my computer so i was thinking 1 gb of ddr2 + another 512 of ddr2 memory
and i want to keep the same video card my ati 512mb sapphire because i belive and correct me if iam wrong that it is a decent card.
The questions i have are:
What motherboard should i purchase?
Should i go with the core2duo e4300 for the price?
Will the core2duo support S.t.a.l.k.e.r and any upcoming games?
Will 350w be enough to power my computer without another explosion?
Will a newer motherboard with pci and ddr2 slots still support my agp videocard?
And should i keep my 80gb hard drive?

Anyways, whoever takes the time to read this and answer back would be a god to me lol :roll: :o 
Thanks again!!
-RWSanford
June 7, 2007 7:19:45 PM

hmmm all I can tell you is if you go for the e4300 you will need to buy a completely new system you cant use any of your old parts besides like your hard drive and case.

you will need DDR2 ram which you can get 2 gigs for like 100$
then you will need a pci express graphics card, you can get like a x1950GT for 130$ your old graphics card sucks.

Then of course you will need a new motherboard.
June 17, 2007 1:44:15 AM

I dubt 350w will be enough and your hardrive probably sucks. It will bottleneck your whole system most likely. get 2gb of ram too.
June 17, 2007 12:30:47 PM

Those guys are right and your AGP graphics won't work with newer MB's unless you get an Asrock.Read the forums for awhile and do a little research,it will save you some time,money and headaches.
!