Can't access secure websites

Windows XP - I was able to access all websites secure and non-secure. Now I can no longer access secure websites. I went to tools and made all the settings the same as a Windows 2000 machine although the 2000 has settings for certificates the XP doesn't have or perhaps the difference is between Explorer 5.0 on the 2000 machine and 6.0 on the XP machine.

Any ideas on how to fix my XP machine so I can access secure websites?
3 answers Last reply
More about access secure websites

    1. Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
    2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
    3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say
    "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
    Try your secure sites.

    Another thing you can try is:
    Go to start/run
    Type in: regsvr32 softpub.dll
    Press Enter or click OK

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305217
    Page Cannot Be Displayed Error During SSL 3.0 Server Session Timeout
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444
    Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up pr Connect to SSL
    Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813951
    You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in
    Various Programs
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303807
    "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Try to View Web Page on a
    Secure Web Site

    "Maggie" <Maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows XP - I was able to access all websites secure and non-secure. Now I
    can no longer access secure websites. I went to tools and made all the settings
    the same as a Windows 2000 machine although the 2000 has settings for
    certificates the XP doesn't have or perhaps the difference is between Explorer
    5.0 on the 2000 machine and 6.0 on the XP machine.

    > Any ideas on how to fix my XP machine so I can access secure websites?

    Hey, thanks! The SSL2 and SSL3 were already selected. The dll file made it work.

    "Kaylene aka Taurarian" wrote:

    > 1. Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
    > 2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
    > 3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say
    > "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
    > Try your secure sites.
    >
    > Another thing you can try is:
    > Go to start/run
    > Type in: regsvr32 softpub.dll
    > Press Enter or click OK
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305217
    > Page Cannot Be Displayed Error During SSL 3.0 Server Session Timeout
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444
    > Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up pr Connect to SSL
    > Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813951
    > You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in
    > Various Programs
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303807
    > "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Try to View Web Page on a
    > Secure Web Site
    >

    > "Maggie" <Maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Windows XP - I was able to access all websites secure and non-secure. Now I
    > can no longer access secure websites. I went to tools and made all the settings
    > the same as a Windows 2000 machine although the 2000 has settings for
    > certificates the XP doesn't have or perhaps the difference is between Explorer
    > 5.0 on the 2000 machine and 6.0 on the XP machine.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on how to fix my XP machine so I can access secure websites?

    You're welcome.
    Kaylene

    > Hey, thanks! The SSL2 and SSL3 were already selected. The dll file made it
    work.

    > "Kaylene aka Taurarian" wrote:
    >
    > > 1. Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
    > > 2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
    > > 3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say
    > > "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
    > > Try your secure sites.
    > >
    > > Another thing you can try is:
    > > Go to start/run
    > > Type in: regsvr32 softpub.dll
    > > Press Enter or click OK

    > > Page Cannot Be Displayed Error During SSL 3.0 Server Session Timeout
    > > Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up pr Connect to
    SSL
    > > Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813951
    > > You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in
    > > Various Programs
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303807
    > > "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Try to View Web Page
    on a
    > > Secure Web Site
    > >

    > > "Maggie" <Maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Windows XP - I was able to access all websites secure and non-secure. Now
    > > can no longer access secure websites. I went to tools and made all the
    settings
    > > the same as a Windows 2000 machine although the 2000 has settings for
    > > certificates the XP doesn't have or perhaps the difference is between
    Explorer
    > > 5.0 on the 2000 machine and 6.0 on the XP machine.
    > > >
    > > > Any ideas on how to fix my XP machine so I can access secure websites?

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows XP