Can't access secure websites

maggie

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2002

Windows XP - I was able to access all websites secure and non-secure. Now I can no longer access secure websites. I went to tools and made all the settings the same as a Windows 2000 machine although the 2000 has settings for certificates the XP doesn't have or perhaps the difference is between Explorer 5.0 on the 2000 machine and 6.0 on the XP machine.

Any ideas on how to fix my XP machine so I can access secure websites?

1. Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say
"Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
Try your secure sites.

Another thing you can try is:
Go to start/run
Type in: regsvr32 softpub.dll
Press Enter or click OK

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305217
Page Cannot Be Displayed Error During SSL 3.0 Server Session Timeout
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444
Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up pr Connect to SSL
Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813951
You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in
Various Programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303807
"The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Try to View Web Page on a
Secure Web Site

"Maggie" <Maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP - I was able to access all websites secure and non-secure. Now I
can no longer access secure websites. I went to tools and made all the settings
the same as a Windows 2000 machine although the 2000 has settings for
certificates the XP doesn't have or perhaps the difference is between Explorer
5.0 on the 2000 machine and 6.0 on the XP machine.

> Any ideas on how to fix my XP machine so I can access secure websites?

maggie

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2002

Hey, thanks! The SSL2 and SSL3 were already selected. The dll file made it work.

"Kaylene aka Taurarian" wrote:

> 1. Tools > Internet Options > Advanced
> 2. Scroll down to the Security Settings.
> 3. Make sure that the two boxes are checked that say
> "Enable SSL 2" or "Enable SSL 3".
> Try your secure sites.
>
> Another thing you can try is:
> Go to start/run
> Type in: regsvr32 softpub.dll
> Press Enter or click OK
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305217
> Page Cannot Be Displayed Error During SSL 3.0 Server Session Timeout
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444
> Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up pr Connect to SSL
> Secured (128-Bit) Web Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813951
> You Cannot Access Your MSN E-mail Account or Authenticate with a Web Site in
> Various Programs
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303807
> "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" Error Message When You Try to View Web Page on a
> Secure Web Site
>

> "Maggie" <Maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Windows XP - I was able to access all websites secure and non-secure. Now I
> can no longer access secure websites. I went to tools and made all the settings
> the same as a Windows 2000 machine although the 2000 has settings for
> certificates the XP doesn't have or perhaps the difference is between Explorer
> 5.0 on the 2000 machine and 6.0 on the XP machine.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to fix my XP machine so I can access secure websites?

You're welcome.
Kaylene