vista64 toWin7-32 to win7-64

bbrian01

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hi can help me, i would like to change from 32 bit to 64. My computer was bought used and had vista 64 and the person that had it used a upgrade software to 32 bit. I have 8 gigs of ram and the 32 bit is only using 3.5 gigs of it. Now why question is can i do a reformat and then install the OS, i do not have the vista disc. also if you could walk me through doing it or post a link to were i can learn how.

Solution
you can do a reformat with an upgrade disk, yes. when it boots from the disk it checks to see what os (if any) is installed already, then allows you to use the upgrade disk however you want once it determines that there is windows on there.

the following reformat and install guide is good. i wouldn't take it in to a shop, save your money and follow this guide, a format and install is pretty easy. this guide uses the beta of win7 for the screenshots but it's pretty identical. good luck!

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/514412-windows-7-installation-guide-tutorial.html

nsquid

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
if your title means that you have the windows 7 64 bit disk, then you can format and restore, but you won't be able to do an upgrade install. you will need to back up and have copies of your applications before you start. when you run the installation, you'll need to choose "custom installation" instead of "upgrade" when you reach the "choose installation type" screen. when you choose the drive you're installing on you'll need to delete it and format it before continuing.

Since it is not possible to 'upgrade' from 32 bit to 64 bit, so you would have to wipe and reinstall anyhow... just do a clean install of Windows 7.

bbrian01

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
so its possible to do a reformat with a upgrade disc? good. i don't know why he went to 32bit. Okay i have never done a reformat and install, would i be better off taking it in some where or can i do it. and yes i do have both 32 and 64 discs and they are win7 home premium upgrade from vista.

nsquid

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
you can do a reformat with an upgrade disk, yes. when it boots from the disk it checks to see what os (if any) is installed already, then allows you to use the upgrade disk however you want once it determines that there is windows on there.

the following reformat and install guide is good. i wouldn't take it in to a shop, save your money and follow this guide, a format and install is pretty easy. this guide uses the beta of win7 for the screenshots but it's pretty identical. good luck!

http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/514412-windows-7-installation-guide-tutorial.html

Solution