Batman007

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
I currently have a Celeron 466, yeah, that's right. I know it's old! So, I'm looking to upgrade.

My software requirements are as follows: I run dual boot Red Hat 7.3 and Win 98SE (I might scrap win98SE for XP or win2k soon though), I watch and record TV in Win with my ATI AIW Radeon w/32M DDR, I play games (mostly driving), program development, video editing, photo editing with Photoshop 7, and I also like to edit .wav files with Soundforge. So as you can see, this is pretty much an all purpose machine.

For my current hardware, I have a WD 120G HD, and a WD 20G as well (using UDMA on both). 16X DVD drive. 256M Ram. CD-R. Sound Blaster Live. 2 USB Gamepads, a USB camera and maybe more USB devices in the future. APC UPS.

So, I've been looking for a new mobo, cpu, ram combo. I was looking at the Asus P4T533 (I'm not sure which is better the P4T533 or the P4T533-C or -E whatever they have). I saw some posts where people recommend the Gigabyte 8ihxp, but I checked out their website and the support pages use very poor English. Plus, I've had great experience with the Asus boards in the past. The thing that bugs me is that I saw the mobo guide on this site that says the P4T533-C (and the P4T533 which "performs about the same") isn't that great in the performance department (unless I interpreted it incorrectly). I'd like to get a P4 2.4GHz with 533FSB. I'd also like to use the RDRAM 1066MHz memory (not sure if I would get 256 or 512 just yet, as I have to budget too). I want to stick with Intel instead of AMD. I've had too many bad experiences with AMD in the past. So, with all of the above info in mind, could someone point me in the right direction? I appreciate all of your opinions and give my thanks ahead of time. Sorry for the long post.

llewelyn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Go for quality and the features you need when buying a motherboard, you seem to be on the right track. There is nothing wrong with Asus.

Most performance reviews on mainboards are absolute bullshit. The chipset is the determining factor, minor differences are due to quality variations. Sometimes the manufacturers tweak the fsb to get better test results.

Batman007

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
Thanks for the assurance. Anyone else have any other opinions or comments?

I also wanted to make my machine extremely quiet. My brother has a Dell and I can hardly tell it's even running compared to my computer, which sounds like a jet engine. The air condition is louder than his computer. Any suggestions on a great fan or some other way to make mine as quiet?
Thanks.

ZooKeeper

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
Depending on what you plan to run, processor, video card, etc... quiet, isn't always a great thing to have (for me anyhow). My (modded) computer has one 120mm fan, five 80mm fans, and my heatsink is the ThermalTake Volcano 7+, which runs at aprrox. 6000+ RPMs. My cpu gets up to 50 degrees under full load (I run SETI, always a full load). My computer can be heard from upstairs. I'm not saying to necessarily do that much, but no heat is better that heat. My girlfriend has a brand new computer in an extremely small case, she is running the athlon xp 1800+, her cpu is constantly overheating....

If Duct Tape Can't Fix It... It's Not Broken!!