Whos pumped, for new games???

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
COD4, Unreal3, Crysis and DIRT!!! oh my...

Stalker, FEAR, Oblivion..., been there, done that, got the sigil stone...., next!

I can't wait! I've been demoing Colin Macrae DIRT and its pretty slick in Ultra mode.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I've been playing games since a wee little kid... So lets say I've been a gamer for some 20ish years and lately I'm getting jaded by "new" games. It's all the same stuff over and over. You get gems here and there but in general new games no longer excite me.

I used to be a firm believer in buying games, then switched to download and buy if I like but nowadays I download them. In general I install them, play them for a week on and off and then uninstall and forget them. Nothing holds my attention.

I suppose this could be attributed to having a life, being hooked on Eve Online (why play a free game when I'm paying constantly for another one) but really I feel games have just lost their way. There is very little true innovation anymore just rehashs of something done before. All the *big* name games that have recently been released all look pretty but all feel pretty soulless (sp?)

So to answer your question I couldn't give two f*cks about COD4, Unreal3, Crysis and DIRT. It's same game, newer graphics.

If there is a game that I'm waiting on with a little glimmer of hope is SPORE but then as I've said previously it looks technically fab but lacking anything that resembles a game. I think Black and White series also has potential hiding away somewhere that I hope is realised someday (no idea if a third is on the cards, I'm just saying).

Anyway, that's my opinion.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I've been playing games since a wee little kid... So lets say I've been a gamer for some 20ish years and lately I'm getting jaded by "new" games. It's all the same stuff over and over. You get gems here and there but in general new games no longer excite me.

I used to be a firm believer in buying games, then switched to download and buy if I like but nowadays I download them. In general I install them, play them for a week on and off and then uninstall and forget them. Nothing holds my attention.

Not I, I still enjoy games, I finished Prey, FEAR, Oblivion + Shivering Isles, Stalker.... I still go back to some of them from time to time but they are old now. My favorite is still FarCry, nothing like taking out a henchman with the sniper rifle off a rope bridge while he's taking a smoke break.

I suppose this could be attributed to having a life, being hooked on Eve Online
that sounds contradictory??

cool to have your own opinion but I still look forward to new stuff.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I suppose this could be attributed to having a life, being hooked on Eve Online
that sounds contradictory??

cool to have your own opinion but I still look forward to new stuff.

To explain I'm hooked on Eve but don't spend all day and night playing like I used to be with games in the past plus you can advance to some degree without actively playing the game. Putting it another way, for the couple hours I have to play games a night I spend it playing Eve. That make more sense :)

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
yikes! nice rig!

Dirt out on friday.. can't wait!! My steering wheel has been getting a bit dusty!

Ok, I've been playing Dirt all weekend, man its a gfx HOG!!!

I have been looking for a mod to get rid of all that overblown BLOOM and HDR, yeechhh. I finished the first Tier and on my way to the second. So far my fav is Pikes peak run, wow!

How's your working?

picture_perfect

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
I get bored. Happens with everything; movies, relationships, music ect. tolerance levels build with any exposure = apathy. Do you really think Doom 1 had more depth than Doom3. I don't but i agree it should be the other way around. It hasn't been, just nicer graphics. Can games evolve.. is there a next level.. where did i leave my hat.

just ranting :p

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Games began to evolve, i.e. deus ex, morrowind.. but then the cross-platform releases started to come and now games are just too simplified for the mass market.. that's my view anyway.

GrandAdmiralThrawn

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
I get bored. Happens with everything; movies, relationships, music ect. tolerance levels build with any exposure = apathy. Do you really think Doom 1 had more depth than Doom3. I don't but i agree it should be the other way around. It hasn't been, just nicer graphics. Can games evolve.. is there a next level.. where did i leave my hat.

just ranting :p

I agree, I think that more new games should start to get better and bring a deeper gameing experience, since alot of games coming out have ok if not awsome graphics I think that for a game to really distinguish itself it will need better gameplay and other elements.

At least its not as bad as about a few years ago when 3d graphics were fairly new, they could sell any peice of junk game just by saying it was 3d, there is still some of this mentality but I think it will begin to fade some in time.

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
Has anyone mentioned Starcraft 2?

I know it's a 2008 release, but jeez, the original Starcraft (a game many young ones would not be familiar with), provided me with hours and hours of entertainment through my first year of uni.

Blizzard, in my opinion, are master-makers of entertainment.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Has anyone mentioned Starcraft 2?

I know it's a 2008 release, but jeez, the original Starcraft (a game many young ones would not be familiar with), provided me with hours and hours of entertainment through my first year of uni.

Blizzard, in my opinion, are master-makers of entertainment.
Well, how many S. Koreans do we have in here? :wink:

Roll on Combat Mission Shock Force... been kicking around the preview build, there will be a lot of re-learning to be done there... What else? Err, Company of Heroes expansion could hold me over for a bit. I've just come late to the Supreme Commander game, hoping it'll do the business for a good while as well. Anyone see our summer preview btw? Some decent titles... MoH: Airborne looks good from a gaming perspective. Not too sure about CoD, though.

Trizomik

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
If there is a game that I'm waiting on with a little glimmer of hope is SPORE but then as I've said previously it looks technically fab but lacking anything that resembles a game. I think Black and White series also has potential hiding away somewhere that I hope is realised someday (no idea if a third is on the cards, I'm just saying).

Anyway, that's my opinion.

I feel like being in the same situation as you.

Peter Molynux (not sure of the typo) is a god when we speak of originality. FYI he was former team lead with Bullfrog which made Dungeon Keeper. My point here is, he's the one making stuff different, thinking out of the box and talking of which, there is Overlord that, I hope, will give something new to a game. Maybe you can have a look.

Of course, you have to appreciate the genre.

(Btw, Eve is really awesome, I wish I had more money and time to get back)

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Don't hold your breath for Spore, guys. Word is it may slip to 2009. It could be another 2 years before we see it.

As for me, I'm pumped about StarCraft 2, Team Fortress 2, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, and probably most excited about HL2 Epside 2, because I'm a fanboy, and BioShock, because nothin' says scary like crazy mutated little girls...

Jump

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
I'm looking forward to Jumpgate Evolution. It should give EVE a run for it's money and offer something for those that want to really fly their ships.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I'm looking way ahead - guild wars 2 and starcraft 2, I was excited for crysis, ut3, but meh-I can't get a new pc till 08 or 09 anyway. I need a nice new couch first.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I'm looking way ahead - guild wars 2 and starcraft 2, I was excited for crysis, ut3, but meh-I can't get a new pc till 08 or 09 anyway. I need a nice new couch first.

(gasp) a gamer that puts practical needs ahead of his passion??? 8O , just kidding :wink:

I just finished reinstalling VistaU64 on my machine just to get prepped for DX10 gaming, still stoked about CRYSIS!