ICS over wireless

How do I setup Internet Connection Sharing over a WLAN? I've Googled 'till
I'm blue in the face, checked MS KB and went though their troubleshooting.
I have ICS setup on my desktop as the host, but no matter what I do I can't
get it set up correctly on my laptop client. Are there simplified
instructions out on the 'net somewhere? Or maybe someone here can hold my
hand though this. :cool: BTW, using infrastructure mode with a Linksys
BEFW11S4 V.3 AP Router, Netwave BWU613 USB adapter on desktop, Netwave
BWP612 PCMCIA card on laptop, Win98SE on both. I can ping each and transfer
files between the two. Even tried winipcfg to get Host name and IP. Oh
yeah, I'm on dialup but all I want to do is surf on laptop in bed when I
can't sleep. :) According to MS, this can be done. Thanks!

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

---

"Louie" <louiethelizard@nonya.com> wrote in message
> How do I setup Internet Connection Sharing over a WLAN? I've Googled
'till
> I'm blue in the face, checked MS KB and went though their troubleshooting.
> I have ICS setup on my desktop as the host, but no matter what I do I
can't
> get it set up correctly on my laptop client. Are there simplified
> instructions out on the 'net somewhere? Or maybe someone here can hold my
> hand though this. :cool: BTW, using infrastructure mode with a Linksys
> BEFW11S4 V.3 AP Router, Netwave BWU613 USB adapter on desktop, Netwave
> BWP612 PCMCIA card on laptop, Win98SE on both. I can ping each and
transfer
> files between the two. Even tried winipcfg to get Host name and IP. Oh
> yeah, I'm on dialup but all I want to do is surf on laptop in bed when I
> can't sleep. :) According to MS, this can be done. Thanks!
>
> Louie
> Gainesville, FL, USA
>

> ---

If you have a router, why do you want to use ICS? ICS allows a Windows
system to behave like a router, so that an Internet connection intended for
one computer can be shared by many.

In any event, setting up ICS with a wireless LAN is exactly like setting up
ICS with a wired LAN. Just get your wireless LAN working first, then setup
ICS.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

<snip>

> If you have a router, why do you want to use ICS? ICS allows a Windows
> system to behave like a router, so that an Internet connection intended
for
> one computer can be shared by many.
>
> In any event, setting up ICS with a wireless LAN is exactly like setting
up
> ICS with a wired LAN. Just get your wireless LAN working first, then
setup
> ICS.
>
> Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Thanks for the reply Ron,

I do have the WLAN working, just can't get the laptop to "see" the ICS
connection to the desktop. :-( But I've hit on a "kludge", e.g. PC
anyWhere V.10.5. Using the remote control function I can surf the web on
the laptop. I've give up on getting ICS working with dialup. :) Thanks
again,

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

---

You'd need to switch the ICS on the desktop OFF. Then set the laptop to
acquire the IP addresses automatically. Lastly, make sure the DHCP server
on your router is running, and that you have about 5-10 IPs available.
Sometimes, after the laptop requests IP again, the router would give it
another address without releasing the old one, so you want some spare.
Then reboot laptop, and you should be good to go.
--
Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
http://www.cabling-design.com
Louie wrote:

> How do I setup Internet Connection Sharing over a WLAN? I've Googled
> 'till
> I'm blue in the face, checked MS KB and went though their
> troubleshooting.
> I have ICS setup on my desktop as the host, but no matter what I do I
> can't
> get it set up correctly on my laptop client. Are there simplified
> instructions out on the 'net somewhere? Or maybe someone here can hold
> my
> hand though this. :cool: BTW, using infrastructure mode with a Linksys
> BEFW11S4 V.3 AP Router, Netwave BWU613 USB adapter on desktop, Netwave
> BWP612 PCMCIA card on laptop, Win98SE on both. I can ping each and
> transfer
> files between the two. Even tried winipcfg to get Host name and IP.
> Oh
> yeah, I'm on dialup but all I want to do is surf on laptop in bed when
> can't sleep. :) According to MS, this can be done. Thanks!

> Louie
> Gainesville, FL, USA

> ---

http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless

Thanks, Dimitri,

I'll give it a shot. I just got tired of trying to follow MS's directions
(extremely vague). Searching Google and following various directions, I was
getting extremely fustrated, so I went with PC anyWhere. It works after a
fashion. :) Will let ya know how it turns out (your suggestion, I mean).
BTW, when you say to have about 5-10 IP's available, I assume you mean in
the 192.168.1.*, subnet 255.255.255.0 range on the router even though I have
only 3 PC's?

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

"Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)" <info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com> wrote
in message news:UScQc.217579$%t6.68138@roc.nntpserver.com...
> You'd need to switch the ICS on the desktop OFF. Then set the laptop to
> acquire the IP addresses automatically. Lastly, make sure the DHCP server
> on your router is running, and that you have about 5-10 IPs available.
> Sometimes, after the laptop requests IP again, the router would give it
> another address without releasing the old one, so you want some spare.
> Then reboot laptop, and you should be good to go.
> --
> Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
> http://www.cabling-design.com
> Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
> premises cabling users and pros
> http://www.cabling-design.com/homecabling
> Residential Cabling Guide
> -------------------------------------
> Louie wrote:
>

> > How do I setup Internet Connection Sharing over a WLAN? I've Googled
> > 'till
> > I'm blue in the face, checked MS KB and went though their
> > troubleshooting.
> > I have ICS setup on my desktop as the host, but no matter what I do I
> > can't
> > get it set up correctly on my laptop client. Are there simplified
> > instructions out on the 'net somewhere? Or maybe someone here can hold
> > my
> > hand though this. :cool: BTW, using infrastructure mode with a Linksys
> > BEFW11S4 V.3 AP Router, Netwave BWU613 USB adapter on desktop, Netwave
> > BWP612 PCMCIA card on laptop, Win98SE on both. I can ping each and
> > transfer
> > files between the two. Even tried winipcfg to get Host name and IP.
> > Oh
> > yeah, I'm on dialup but all I want to do is surf on laptop in bed when
> > can't sleep. :) According to MS, this can be done. Thanks!
>
> > Louie
> > Gainesville, FL, USA
>

> > ---
>

> ##-----------------------------------------------##
> Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive
> http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
> no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -
alt.internet.wireless

Louie,

Try this - I use it when I travel with my laptop and the daughters. We
create a wireless network and the one of the laptops does the ICS part with
a dial up connection to Earthlink.

Let me know how it goes!

Richard Hay
Webmaster
http://AnotherWin95.com

> [...]
hold
> > > my
> > > hand though this. :cool: BTW, using infrastructure mode with a Linksys
> > > BEFW11S4 V.3 AP Router, Netwave BWU613 USB adapter on desktop, Netwave
> > > BWP612 PCMCIA card on laptop, Win98SE on both. I can ping each and
> > > transfer
> > > files between the two. Even tried winipcfg to get Host name and IP.
> > > Oh
> > > yeah, I'm on dialup but all I want to do is surf on laptop in bed when
> > > can't sleep. :) According to MS, this can be done. Thanks!
> >
> > > Louie
> > > Gainesville, FL, USA
> >

> > > ---
> >

> > ##-----------------------------------------------##
> > Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive
> > http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
> > no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I do this successfully by turning DHCP on the router and enabling ICS.
I found that turning ICS off and then back on makes a difference. By
the way, any firewall software will need be either turned off or
properly configured.

Don't give up. It works.

Make sure that your laptop can get an IP address automatically first.
ipconfig/renew

Good luck.

info_at_cabling-design_dot_com@foo.com (Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)) wrote in message news:<UScQc.217579$%t6.68138@roc.nntpserver.com>...
> You'd need to switch the ICS on the desktop OFF. Then set the laptop to
> acquire the IP addresses automatically. Lastly, make sure the DHCP server
> on your router is running, and that you have about 5-10 IPs available.
> Sometimes, after the laptop requests IP again, the router would give it
> another address without releasing the old one, so you want some spare.
> Then reboot laptop, and you should be good to go.
> --
> Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
> http://www.cabling-design.com
> Cabling Forum, color codes, pinouts and other useful resources for
> premises cabling users and pros
> http://www.cabling-design.com/homecabling
> Residential Cabling Guide
> -------------------------------------
> Louie wrote:
>

> > How do I setup Internet Connection Sharing over a WLAN? I've Googled
> > 'till
> > I'm blue in the face, checked MS KB and went though their
> > troubleshooting.
> > I have ICS setup on my desktop as the host, but no matter what I do I
> > can't
> > get it set up correctly on my laptop client. Are there simplified
> > instructions out on the 'net somewhere? Or maybe someone here can hold
> > my
> > hand though this. :cool: BTW, using infrastructure mode with a Linksys
> > BEFW11S4 V.3 AP Router, Netwave BWU613 USB adapter on desktop, Netwave
> > BWP612 PCMCIA card on laptop, Win98SE on both. I can ping each and
> > transfer
> > files between the two. Even tried winipcfg to get Host name and IP.
> > Oh
> > yeah, I'm on dialup but all I want to do is surf on laptop in bed when
> > can't sleep. :) According to MS, this can be done. Thanks!
>
> > Louie
> > Gainesville, FL, USA
>

> > ---
>

> ##-----------------------------------------------##
> Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive
> http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
> no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - alt.internet.wireless

I'm confused. In some posts it references your router, why not use it
and skip ICS (which has been buggie and a pain to setup since it was
released).

What is your router connected to on the WLAN side?

Dan

--
flw