Paul2200

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.amdmb.com/images/xp333/xp333r.jpg" target="_new">Iwill XP333-R</A>

The chipset fan died. Should I be worried? What should I do??

-Paul2200 :)

Toss it. The chipset fan isn't that critical, unless you're doing some extreme overclocking. If the rest of your system is running at normal temps, you may not need to replace it. But if it gives you more peace of mind, you can pick up one starting at about $7 at Fry's electronics or similar retailers. You can find them online. Pricewatch has speciality venders listed under cpu-fans, or check my favorite vender, newegg.

Thermaltake makes a round, blue one for about $7. Arctic silver makes an adhesive, or you can do what I did, use super glue. I pried off the heatsink on my radeon 7500, and replaced it with an old duron heatsink and fan, using super glue.

G

I have one of those MB's. For some reason the northbridge chip on mine did run really hot even at stock FSB speeds. My fan died right away. I just put on one of those Zalman chipset coolers with AS adhesive. It has been much cooler since then, and even now that I have been running the thing at 166MHz FSB speeds. I don't know if it is absolutely critical to put one on, but it has let me rest better at night.

Paul2200

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
o1die, do you mean the <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/chipset/tgf020.htm" target="_new">blorb</A>? Would this be suitable for the mobo's chipset?

-Paul2200 :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Blorb is fine. If you'd rather not use a fan, you could glue a Pentium passive cooler on it. Just offset it toward the bottom so it doesn't block the CPU cooler. If you wanted a better fan, you could use a 486 cooler with 40mm standard fan, these fans are quieter, more reliable and have better airflow. If you really want good cooling, you could glue a PIII cooler on it!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

knight0

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2001
Is an adhesive really necessary? My chipset died too, but I just "clicked" a new one onto the motherboard. Should I be worried that it might fall off?