Can anyone provide some trouble shooting hints for the following problem:

At the completion of the whole startup process, I get this
error--C\DOCUME~1\OWNER\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\INSTALL~1\_47286~1.exe
encountered an illegal instruction and had to quit. This error bears the
title 16 bit DOS system. I gather that some part of DOS quit, but I detect
no bad effects other than the messages.

The event log says that a service quit abnormally but the system recovered
sucessfully. Occasionally this message is followed by a message that the
NTVDM CPU (what does VDM mean) has encountered an illegal instruction,
involving the Earthlink Total Access Upgrade Manager.

I tried to find the referenced file by Search, but nothing turned up. I've
gathered that the ~1 denotes a temp file. Is it so temporary that it is no
longer present when I search?

srdiamond

The ~ is used in place of "replaced" characters in a long file name. 16 bit programs cannot read long filenames, so they use the 8.3 filename convention.

You should be able to click Start, Run and then paste in:

C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\INSTALL~1

This will take you to the location referenced. You should be able to find the file there.

Additionally, right click the Start button and select Explore and Explore All Users. In each of these folders, drill down to:

Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Look for any item here (right click and select Properties) that references this file.

Also, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to the following Keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\oftware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Look in the right pane for any value that references this file. If found, right click the particular value and select Delete.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:07:57 -0400, Doug Knox MS-MVP <dknox@mvps.org>
wrote:

> The ~ is used in place of "replaced" characters in a long file name. 16
> bit programs cannot read long filenames, so they use the 8.3 filename
> convention.
>
> You should be able to click Start, Run and then paste in:
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\INSTALL~1

When I insert this expression, I receive the message that Windows can't
find it. Now I'm thinking that the "document" referenced is simply the
screen that appears bearing the message.

Is this a problem that actually requires attention, or do Windows users
usually just not worry about such seemingly harmless errors?

srdiamond

> This will take you to the location referenced. You should be able to
> find the file there.
>
> Additionally, right click the Start button and select Explore and
> Explore All Users. In each of these folders, drill down to:
>
> Start Menu\Programs\Startup
>
> Look for any item here (right click and select Properties) that
> references this file.
>
> Also, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT Go to the following Keys:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\oftware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
> Look in the right pane for any value that references this file. If
> found, right click the particular value and select Delete.

This recent error message seems more diagnostic. "This application has
requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." The referenced
application seems to be the Earthlink Upgrade Manager. I'd ask Earthlink
tech support, except I have never gotten any real information there.

How about this guess. One of Earthlink's upgrades failed to deactivate the
upgrade manager. Does that make sense, and if so, what's the remedy?

srdiamond

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer

It's the same thing as >>>>

C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\INSTALL~1
----------------

DOCUME~1 = Documents and Settings
OWNER = Your Account (XP Home??)
APPLIC~1 = Application Data
MICROS~1 = Microsoft
INSTALL~1 = Probably Installer
_47286~1.exe =

See what you can find there. Prabably Earthlink Upgrade Manager

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eek:psbzwt5vjun0prw@jq0arm4,
Stephen R. Diamond <srdiamond152000@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> This recent error message seems more diagnostic. "This application has
> requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." The
> referenced application seems to be the Earthlink Upgrade Manager. I'd
> ask Earthlink tech support, except I have never gotten any real
> information there.
>
> How about this guess. One of Earthlink's upgrades failed to
> deactivate the upgrade manager. Does that make sense, and if so,
> what's the remedy?
>
> srdiamond

Thanks, Wesley. I trashed the items in the Install Folder and the problem
disappeared.

The items were called Applications under Properties, and they had numeric
titles like "_7447554d." They were only one or two kilobytes each. Two
bore the icons of a non-Microsoft program I had recently upgraded, the
other two had the question mark symbol denoting a help file. I have no
idea how they got there or what the Earthlink installer has to do with it.

srdiamond

> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer
>
> It's the same thing as >>>>
>
> C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\INSTALL~1
> ----------------
>
> DOCUME~1 = Documents and Settings
> OWNER = Your Account (XP Home??)
> APPLIC~1 = Application Data
> MICROS~1 = Microsoft
> INSTALL~1 = Probably Installer
> _47286~1.exe =
>
> See what you can find there. Prabably Earthlink Upgrade Manager

Stephen,

Glad you got it worked out! :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eek:psb0u00ylun0prw@jq0arm4,
Stephen R. Diamond <srdiamond152000@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks, Wesley. I trashed the items in the Install Folder and the
> problem disappeared.
>
> The items were called Applications under Properties, and they had
> numeric titles like "_7447554d." They were only one or two kilobytes
> each. Two bore the icons of a non-Microsoft program I had recently
> upgraded, the other two had the question mark symbol denoting a help
> file. I have no idea how they got there or what the Earthlink
> installer has to do with it.
>
> srdiamond
>
>> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Installer
>>
>> It's the same thing as >>>>
>>
>> C:\DOCUME~1\OWNER\APPLIC~1\MICROS~1\INSTALL~1
>>
>> DOCUME~1 = Documents and Settings
>> OWNER = Your Account (XP Home??)
>> APPLIC~1 = Application Data
>> MICROS~1 = Microsoft
>> INSTALL~1 = Probably Installer
>> _47286~1.exe =
>>
>> See what you can find there. Prabably Earthlink Upgrade Manager

TRENDING THREADS