Coverage in (on) the Island of Maui, Hawaii

For anyone heading to Maui (Hawaii) for a vacation, here is the coverage I
have experianced this past week.
It FLAT OUT WORKS!. Coverage in Maui on Verizon digital is VERY good here.
Tests run with a VX-6000 and a Audiovox "Thera" show good signal in MANY of
the cities including the road to Hana, in Hana and Paia, Upcountry, Haiku,
Kehei, Lahaina.Kaanapali,Wailea,Wailuku, and of course Kahuli .Tomorrow will
test it in Makawao.It even works on the island of Molikini as we took a boat
trip to the island.
The ONLY bad part is that the PC-5220 datacard WILLNOT connect in Lahaina.
Don't know why this is, no one does! Guess 3G is not a hot item in this
coastal town!
ALOHA!!!
6 answers Last reply
More about coverage island maui hawaii

    Harley,
    The WHOLE Road to Hana?

    -BillRadio

    "HARLEYBUM" <harleybum@easyriders.com> wrote in message
    > For anyone heading to Maui (Hawaii) for a vacation, here is the coverage I
    > have experianced this past week.
    > It FLAT OUT WORKS!. Coverage in Maui on Verizon digital is VERY good here.
    > Tests run with a VX-6000 and a Audiovox "Thera" show good signal in MANY
    of
    > the cities including the road to Hana,

    Yes....the whole road to Hana. While the signal read ONE bar at times I was
    able to place test calls. In the town of Hana it was FIVE bars. How Verizon
    does it is a mystery, as there are no "sites" that see that much road above
    it.This was on the PAVED road on the North side. We did not take the dirt
    road on the south side into Kihei.
    Will have to see how it's licensed to figure it out. But the best part
    is..it works.
    Coverage in Makawao was "ok"...1 to 2 bars at best. The town itself is a
    dive, with zero parking. Hardly worth the drive to see it and HIGHLY
    over-rated.
    It's SUPPOSED to be a "Cowboy/Western" town. Far from it..all we saw were
    tired clapped out old buildings.

    In article <%HDoc.7852$ZU3.6005@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>,
    HARLEYBUM <harleybum@easyriders.com> wrote:
    >Yes....the whole road to Hana. While the signal read ONE bar at times I was
    >able to place test calls. In the town of Hana it was FIVE bars. How Verizon
    >does it is a mystery, as there are no "sites" that see that much road above
    >it.This was on the PAVED road on the North side. We did not take the dirt
    >road on the south side into Kihei.

    The tower could be 15 miles away on top of a hill. Is that a possibility?
    On I-80 in the Nevada desert, I have often seen a strong signal, with
    no tower in site. Or in town could they could have sites concealed inside
    structures such as church bellfries?

    On 13 May 2004 09:40:11 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote:

    >In article <%HDoc.7852$ZU3.6005@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>,
    >HARLEYBUM <harleybum@easyriders.com> wrote:
    >>Yes....the whole road to Hana. While the signal read ONE bar at times I was
    >>able to place test calls. In the town of Hana it was FIVE bars. How Verizon
    >>does it is a mystery, as there are no "sites" that see that much road above
    >>it.This was on the PAVED road on the North side. We did not take the dirt
    >>road on the south side into Kihei.
    >
    >The tower could be 15 miles away on top of a hill. Is that a possibility?
    >On I-80 in the Nevada desert, I have often seen a strong signal, with
    >no tower in site. Or in town could they could have sites concealed inside
    >structures such as church bellfries?

    I've been in the middle of the New Mexico desert and had at least 2
    bars on my phone. There is a tall mountain range where they have comms
    towers, including cell towers. The range may go for 20 miles or more
    because of the difference in height from the mountain to the valley
    below.

    Dave

    I think Harley understands my surprise. The "road to Hana" is an infamous
    path of rough, but paved road, more like a winding strip of patched
    potholes, that hugs the northeast coast of Maui. It's cool for a while,
    then you get bored, push the speed and the curves and you wonder why you
    bothered (there is a reward at the end). From the road you cannot see any
    mountains or other islands. Any signal is coming from each end of the
    route, helped only by a lack of users. The site in Hana itself is very
    well-disguised, but I bet it's nothing more than 2 whips on a phone pole.

    Here in the mountains, several Verizon sites now have much better range just
    from improved equipment and higher power. The Hana and Ho'okipa sites may
    have been improved enough to help the coverage in between. I was too busy
    driving last time, but there are almost no buildings or poles to mount, let
    alone hide, any antennas.

    -Bill Radio

    "CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message

    > The tower could be 15 miles away on top of a hill. Is that a possibility?
    > On I-80 in the Nevada desert, I have often seen a strong signal, with
    > no tower in site. Or in town could they could have sites concealed inside
    > structures such as church bellfries?

    Can you hear me now?........Good.....!

    Ty

    "HARLEYBUM" <harleybum@easyriders.com> wrote in message
    > For anyone heading to Maui (Hawaii) for a vacation, here is the coverage I
    > have experianced this past week.
    > It FLAT OUT WORKS!. Coverage in Maui on Verizon digital is VERY good here.
    > Tests run with a VX-6000 and a Audiovox "Thera" show good signal in MANY
    of
    > the cities including the road to Hana, in Hana and Paia, Upcountry, Haiku,
    > Kehei, Lahaina.Kaanapali,Wailea,Wailuku, and of course Kahuli .Tomorrow
    will
    > test it in Makawao.It even works on the island of Molikini as we took a
    boat
    > trip to the island.
    > The ONLY bad part is that the PC-5220 datacard WILLNOT connect in Lahaina.
    > Don't know why this is, no one does! Guess 3G is not a hot item in this
    > coastal town!
    > ALOHA!!!

Verizon Internet Service Providers