Coverage in (on) the Island of Maui, Hawaii

Last response: in Network Providers
May 12, 2004 1:11:15 PM

For anyone heading to Maui (Hawaii) for a vacation, here is the coverage I
have experianced this past week.
It FLAT OUT WORKS!. Coverage in Maui on Verizon digital is VERY good here.
Tests run with a VX-6000 and a Audiovox "Thera" show good signal in MANY of
the cities including the road to Hana, in Hana and Paia, Upcountry, Haiku,
Kehei, Lahaina.Kaanapali,Wailea,Wailuku, and of course Kahuli .Tomorrow will
test it in Makawao.It even works on the island of Molikini as we took a boat
trip to the island.
The ONLY bad part is that the PC-5220 datacard WILLNOT connect in Lahaina.
Don't know why this is, no one does! Guess 3G is not a hot item in this
coastal town!
ALOHA!!!

More about : coverage island maui hawaii

Anonymous
May 13, 2004 2:19:58 AM

Harley,
The WHOLE Road to Hana?

-BillRadio

"HARLEYBUM" <harleybum@easyriders.com> wrote in message
> For anyone heading to Maui (Hawaii) for a vacation, here is the coverage I
> have experianced this past week.
> It FLAT OUT WORKS!. Coverage in Maui on Verizon digital is VERY good here.
> Tests run with a VX-6000 and a Audiovox "Thera" show good signal in MANY
of
> the cities including the road to Hana,
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 9:28:27 AM

Yes....the whole road to Hana. While the signal read ONE bar at times I was
able to place test calls. In the town of Hana it was FIVE bars. How Verizon
does it is a mystery, as there are no "sites" that see that much road above
it.This was on the PAVED road on the North side. We did not take the dirt
road on the south side into Kihei.
Will have to see how it's licensed to figure it out. But the best part
is..it works.
Coverage in Makawao was "ok"...1 to 2 bars at best. The town itself is a
dive, with zero parking. Hardly worth the drive to see it and HIGHLY
over-rated.
It's SUPPOSED to be a "Cowboy/Western" town. Far from it..all we saw were
tired clapped out old buildings.

"Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
> Harley,
> The WHOLE Road to Hana?
>
> -BillRadio
>

> "HARLEYBUM" <harleybum@easyriders.com> wrote in message
> > For anyone heading to Maui (Hawaii) for a vacation, here is the coverage
> > have experianced this past week.
> > It FLAT OUT WORKS!. Coverage in Maui on Verizon digital is VERY good
here.
> > Tests run with a VX-6000 and a Audiovox "Thera" show good signal in MANY
> of
> > the cities including the road to Hana,

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:40:11 PM

In article <%HDoc.7852$ZU3.6005@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>,
HARLEYBUM <harleybum@easyriders.com> wrote:
>Yes....the whole road to Hana. While the signal read ONE bar at times I was
>able to place test calls. In the town of Hana it was FIVE bars. How Verizon
>does it is a mystery, as there are no "sites" that see that much road above
>it.This was on the PAVED road on the North side. We did not take the dirt
>road on the south side into Kihei.

The tower could be 15 miles away on top of a hill. Is that a possibility?
On I-80 in the Nevada desert, I have often seen a strong signal, with
no tower in site. Or in town could they could have sites concealed inside
structures such as church bellfries?
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 1:40:12 PM

On 13 May 2004 09:40:11 GMT, hoch@exemplary.invalid (CharlesH) wrote:

>In article <%HDoc.7852$ZU3.6005@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>,
>HARLEYBUM <harleybum@easyriders.com> wrote:
>>Yes....the whole road to Hana. While the signal read ONE bar at times I was
>>able to place test calls. In the town of Hana it was FIVE bars. How Verizon
>>does it is a mystery, as there are no "sites" that see that much road above
>>it.This was on the PAVED road on the North side. We did not take the dirt
>>road on the south side into Kihei.
>
>The tower could be 15 miles away on top of a hill. Is that a possibility?
>On I-80 in the Nevada desert, I have often seen a strong signal, with
>no tower in site. Or in town could they could have sites concealed inside
>structures such as church bellfries?

I've been in the middle of the New Mexico desert and had at least 2
bars on my phone. There is a tall mountain range where they have comms
towers, including cell towers. The range may go for 20 miles or more
because of the difference in height from the mountain to the valley
below.

Dave
Anonymous
May 14, 2004 2:15:37 AM

I think Harley understands my surprise. The "road to Hana" is an infamous
path of rough, but paved road, more like a winding strip of patched
potholes, that hugs the northeast coast of Maui. It's cool for a while,
then you get bored, push the speed and the curves and you wonder why you
bothered (there is a reward at the end). From the road you cannot see any
mountains or other islands. Any signal is coming from each end of the
route, helped only by a lack of users. The site in Hana itself is very
well-disguised, but I bet it's nothing more than 2 whips on a phone pole.

Here in the mountains, several Verizon sites now have much better range just
from improved equipment and higher power. The Hana and Ho'okipa sites may
have been improved enough to help the coverage in between. I was too busy
driving last time, but there are almost no buildings or poles to mount, let
alone hide, any antennas.

-Bill Radio

"CharlesH" <hoch@exemplary.invalid> wrote in message

> The tower could be 15 miles away on top of a hill. Is that a possibility?
> On I-80 in the Nevada desert, I have often seen a strong signal, with
> no tower in site. Or in town could they could have sites concealed inside
> structures such as church bellfries?

Anonymous
May 15, 2004 3:13:35 AM

Can you hear me now?........Good.....!