Gigabyte motherboard

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I personally would recommend that you stay away from Gigabyte motherboards in general. The store I work at doesn't carry them anymore because we've had so many problems with them.

Knowledge is the key to understanding

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
If you're looking at the GigaByte, you should also look at the ASUS P4B533-E. It's got the same features and such.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

dimka12345

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
yes, i know that the asus board is pretty much equivallent in options, but i ordered the gigabyte motherboard, and was wondering if there are any problems with it

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
The reviewers seemed to have liked it at least.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
I've got an 8IEXP and it's been running for about a month now with a P4 1.8A, 1x512MB Corsair (3200), GF4 Ti4600 and 2x60GB Western Digital HDD's running in RAID0 configuration. Haven't touched the Vcore and just pushed the FSB to 133MHz to get almost 2.4GB from the CPU (very easy overclock).

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the mobo. I had some issues setting up the RAID with Windows XP but that was all due to a crappy manual and poor read.me files. I still haven't heard back from their tech support people (one month?) but from reading other posts in this forum, it would seem that's not unusual for many mobo mfr's.

I was also considering the Asus P4B533-C. Essentially, it's an identical mobo but priced about $50-$60 higher.

Cheers,
JasonR

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Whoa...I just figured out how to make my text <font color=blue> Red </font color=blue>, <font color=white> White </font color=white> and <font color=red> Blue </font color=red>...Cool !!! ***

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
Mmmm....that was of course the P4B533-"E" version I was thinking of, not the "C".

Cheers,
JasonR

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Whoa...I just figured out how to make my text <font color=blue> Red </font color=blue>, <font color=white> White </font color=white> and <font color=red> Blue </font color=red>...Cool !!! ***

billd222

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2001
I have a GA-7VRXP since early May and I have to say I am very happy with my Gigabyte board.
I have seen a lot of people who have a lot of problems but I myself have had none.
Of courrse I dont really overclock or go crazy with it.
I use it for high-end applications and some gaming.
It gets a good reccomendation from me.

Bill D.

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
I have the same Gigabyte board as well with a P4 1.8. Over all, I've been happy with it after some setup fustration. Before you set it up READ THE INSTRUCTIONS even if you know how to install a new board.

BE CAREFUL which video card you use with it ... if you add your own video card. ANY 2X AGP card will be damaged. That sticker on the AGP is there for a reason.
My other concern is on page 11 of the owner's manual. You need to be careful about the DDR memory chips you use for the third memory slot.

Check out this thread that I started:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=517491#517491

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
As I understand it, this is a common problem with most (all?) 845E mobo's. To utilise all three slots, I believe at least two of them must be single sided DIMMS since there is support for only four banks of DDR memory. I don't really see this as being an issue though. I just put a big, single stick of double sided DDR in slot 1 (512MB Corsair PC3200). For a future memory upgrade, I'll just buy another stick the same as the first and put it in slot 2. Beyond that, I figure by the time I'm ready for more than 1 gig of RAM I'll be ready for a new mobo :)

Cheers,
JasonR

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I can't comment on your application (intel). But i've been running a GA 7vrxp with an Athlon 1800 xp without any problems at all. THe board is stable and it was easy to set up. Research your board by doing searches with keywords like problems in Google. You'll find out soon enough if it's any good.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. MY RIG: <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327 " target="_new">http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327 </A>