Sign in with
Your question

System hangs after changes to CMOS... HELP!

Last response: in Motherboards
September 15, 2002 5:39:16 PM

Hiya guys. I seem to having an issue with a new PC that I can't seem to shake and was wondering if you have any suggestions.

The system specs are listed below. What happens is that everytime I make a change in the CMOS menu, save/quit; the system will just hang and never restart. Powering off the PS and system will not reset it. I must use the jumper to reset the CMOS. It will boot up with "CMOS checksum error - Default loaded" "Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup"

If I hit F1 to continue, it boots up without a problem and I can enter Windows 2000. I only have the video card, Promise RAID card, and sound card attached to the mobo. If I restart and reboot, the message screen where the [["CMOS checksum error - Default loaded" "Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup"]] appeared...would be replaced with "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU"

I already flashed the mobo to the last BIOS update and updated the Promise card drivers. Can anyone shed any light on this issue. Thanks in advance.

ABit Kx7-333
AMD 1900+
Crucial 512 DDR RAM
2 Seagate 40gig 7200RPM HDs
Promise TX2 100
SB Live! 5.1
VisonTek GeForce4
Acer 40X CD-ROM
Creative 8X DVD ROM

I found this on their website but it doesn't quit help as it just tells you how to reset it back to its default settings.

http://www.abit-usa.com/faq_letter0805.html

I doubt it can be a hardware related issue as I am able to use the PC just fine. Just can't save anything to the CMOS.

More about : system hangs cmos

a c 435 V Motherboard
September 15, 2002 6:23:19 PM

Try replacing your mobo battery. You can get one at radio shack.
September 15, 2002 8:02:36 PM

Try with a new battery, if it doesn't work just return the motherboard

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>
Related resources
September 16, 2002 12:41:52 AM

I suppose it could be the battery, but I wouldn't think so considering it will save the normal default settings just fine. Or am I assuming that they're not saved via battery as well?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by b4N4N4 on 09/15/02 08:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 17, 2002 3:31:27 AM

Well, swapped out the battery and it problem still exists.
!