Nearly constant hard disc activity

I have upgraded a PIII 700 with 40Mb HD to run on Win Xp pro and uprated the
RAM to the Board maximum of 768Mb .

the system is getting ever slower and now has near contant HD activity,, do
any of you out there have any other ideas or have I got to the need to
upgrade to a new Motherboard /processor stage?
2 answers Last reply
More about nearly constant hard disc activity

    Andrew;
    Start here:

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Andrew" <andrew.glass@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I have upgraded a PIII 700 with 40Mb HD to run on Win Xp pro and
    uprated the
    > RAM to the Board maximum of 768Mb .
    >
    > the system is getting ever slower and now has near contant HD
    activity,, do
    > any of you out there have any other ideas or have I got to the need
    > upgrade to a new Motherboard /processor stage?

    This activity could be associated with spyware programs and viruses.
    Anti-virus software and
    firewalls do not fully protect your system against the majority of spyware
    and privacy threats. Spyware is commonly bundled with software downloads,
    attached to e-mails, or transmitted through networks so it can appear to be
    legitimate software, but once installed it can be nearly impossible to
    detect and remove without the help of a dedicated spyware removal tool such
    as:

    Ad-Aware 6.0 (build 6.181)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    SpyBot 1.3
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    SpyWare Blaster
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html/

    HiJackThis
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

    Please make sure that you download the updates for each of these programs to
    ensure complete detection of known spyware programs. Although nothing is
    absolute in removing spyware and keeping it off, downloading and executing
    the programs above can dramically decrease future infections.

    Also please utilize free virus scans from the following sites:

    Trend Micro
    http://www.trend.com

    Bit Defender
    http://www.bitdefender.com

    Panda
    http://www.pandasoftware.com/

    McAfee
    http://www.vil.nai.com/vil/stinger

    After Spyware / Adware is remove, you may get an error finding files on
    reboot

    After you use anyone of these programs (with the exception of HiJackThis)
    you may receive an error of some sort after rebooting your system. This is
    pretty common. Many spyware programs add themselves in the Startup location
    and execute when Windows boots. If you recieve an error when rebooting after
    removing spyware, do not panic. This is more than likely a startup remnant
    trying to access the spyware program that is no longer on your computer.
    HiJackThis is a great utility to find and remove these startup remnants.
    However, there is a less technical way of removing these items:

    (1) Click START to RUN and type: msconfig
    (2) Select the STARTUP tab
    (3) Uncheck the file that pertained to the startup error message you
    received
    (4) Click APPLY and OK
    (5) Reboot your system

    If this fails to fix the startup error message after reboot, there are still

    (1) Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
    Menu\Programs\Startup
    (2) Delete the icon that pertained to the startup error message you received
    (3) Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start
    Menu\Programs\Startup
    (4) Delete the icon that pertained to the startup error message you received
    (5) Reboot your system

    --
    Best of luck!

    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCP, CCNA, A+,
    Network+, i-Net+, CIW A, CIW CI

    "Andrew" <andrew.glass@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I have upgraded a PIII 700 with 40Mb HD to run on Win Xp pro and uprated
    the
    > RAM to the Board maximum of 768Mb .
    >
    > the system is getting ever slower and now has near contant HD activity,,
    do
    > any of you out there have any other ideas or have I got to the need to
    > upgrade to a new Motherboard /processor stage?

HD Windows XP