maggie

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2002

When I shutdown my computer a screen appears

Ending Program - sgtray.exe
If you choose to end....you will lose any unsaved data....

I let it run, but when it finishes another screen appears

This program not responding.

How do I fix this?
Thanks,
Maggie

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:15:01 -0700, Maggie wrote:

> When I shutdown my computer a screen appears
>
> Ending Program - sgtray.exe
> If you choose to end....you will lose any unsaved data....
>
> I let it run, but when it finishes another screen appears
>
> This program not responding.
>
> How do I fix this?
> Thanks,
> Maggie

Typically the file is part of a backup program:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=sgtray.exe

You may need to update the backup program it belongs to (Veritas makes
several and distributes them to other companies to sell)
- or -
Disable the backup program from running automatically and run it manually
instead.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi Maggie,

StorageGuardTray from Veritas. Either disable it (start/run msconfig and go
to the startup tab) or talk to veritas about this issue with their software.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org>
wrote in news:ul$0r81dEHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
> Hi Maggie,
>
> StorageGuardTray from Veritas. Either disable it (start/run msconfig
> and go to the startup tab) or talk to veritas about this issue with
> their software.
>

> "Maggie" <Maggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> When I shutdown my computer a screen appears
>>
>> Ending Program - sgtray.exe
>> If you choose to end....you will lose any unsaved data....
>>
>> I let it run, but when it finishes another screen appears
>>
>> This program not responding.
>>
>> How do I fix this?
>> Thanks,
>> Maggie

Yeah, I think it was a utility from Veritas that is supposed to tell you
when you should be backing up your files. I found it a waste of memory
and uninstalled it.

(E-mail: domain = ".com", add "=NEWS=" to Subject)

This Veritas utility, though a part of Backup Exec, is a stand alone applet,
and can be safely removed without any concerns to the stability of Backup
Exec.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 16:15:01 -0700, Maggie wrote:
>
>> When I shutdown my computer a screen appears
>>
>> Ending Program - sgtray.exe
>> If you choose to end....you will lose any unsaved data....
>>
>> I let it run, but when it finishes another screen appears
>>
>> This program not responding.
>>
>> How do I fix this?
>> Thanks,
>> Maggie
>
> Typically the file is part of a backup program:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=sgtray.exe
>
> You may need to update the backup program it belongs to (Veritas makes
> several and distributes them to other companies to sell)
> - or -
> Disable the backup program from running automatically and run it manually
> instead.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Additionally, a program from Sonic (DVD related, I believe) uses a utility called SGTRAY.EXE to automatically check for updates to its software.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:25:36 -0400, Crusty "Old B@stard" wrote:

> This Veritas utility, though a part of Backup Exec, is a stand alone applet,
> and can be safely removed without any concerns to the stability of Backup
> Exec.

Thanks, COB.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

You're welcome! I have been through this (-:

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 23:25:36 -0400, Crusty "Old B@stard" wrote:
>
>> This Veritas utility, though a part of Backup Exec, is a stand alone
>> applet,
>> and can be safely removed without any concerns to the stability of Backup
>> Exec.
>
> Thanks, COB.
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

That is correct Doug, except that it is checking for updates for DLA (packet writing). Sonic & Stomp (RecordNow) use the same utility. It can be uninstalled without creating any problem.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff