sudden "loss"of user data

Cannot access any data under 'my documents' any more.
Computer seems to have lost access to all relevant data.
The data is physically still there but I cannot access it
as folders have been replaced. I can also not search for
it and copy it. If it is not possible to fix the problem
and somehow reconnect the correct data to 'my documents',
is there a chance of at least saving the data that used to
be in these files? Is there a software which does what
windows explorer does?
Thanx

Hi B,

What events preceeded this behavior?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"B" <bernhard_messerli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Cannot access any data under 'my documents' any more.
> Computer seems to have lost access to all relevant data.
> The data is physically still there but I cannot access it
> as folders have been replaced. I can also not search for
> it and copy it. If it is not possible to fix the problem
> and somehow reconnect the correct data to 'my documents',
> is there a chance of at least saving the data that used to
> be in these files? Is there a software which does what
> windows explorer does?
> Thanx

What method are you using to try to access the files? Are there any file
association problems? If you look at the properties of the file what does it
say the file "opens with"?

Have you ran an anti-virus scan? If you do not have anti-virus programme
installed you can run a free scan from the internet. Try this link:

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"B" <bernhard_messerli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Cannot access any data under 'my documents' any more.
> Computer seems to have lost access to all relevant data.
> The data is physically still there but I cannot access it
> as folders have been replaced. I can also not search for
> it and copy it. If it is not possible to fix the problem
> and somehow reconnect the correct data to 'my documents',
> is there a chance of at least saving the data that used to
> be in these files? Is there a software which does what
> windows explorer does?
> Thanx

Dont know what proceeded this incident, PS was running,
connected to the internet; virus free (according to
symantec automated scan previous day) ; assume therefore
it is not a virus but rather a lost link or regedit entry
that got lost somewhere. dont know how though... every
time i use "search" to find any of the missing files,
windows gives me an error message and shuts down the
current task...hope this is useful info...