sudden "loss"of user data

Cannot access any data under 'my documents' any more.
Computer seems to have lost access to all relevant data.
The data is physically still there but I cannot access it
as folders have been replaced. I can also not search for
it and copy it. If it is not possible to fix the problem
and somehow reconnect the correct data to 'my documents',
is there a chance of at least saving the data that used to
be in these files? Is there a software which does what
windows explorer does?
Thanx
3 answers Last reply
More about sudden loss user data

    Hi B,

    What events preceeded this behavior?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "B" <bernhard_messerli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Cannot access any data under 'my documents' any more.
    > Computer seems to have lost access to all relevant data.
    > The data is physically still there but I cannot access it
    > as folders have been replaced. I can also not search for
    > it and copy it. If it is not possible to fix the problem
    > and somehow reconnect the correct data to 'my documents',
    > is there a chance of at least saving the data that used to
    > be in these files? Is there a software which does what
    > windows explorer does?
    > Thanx

    What method are you using to try to access the files? Are there any file
    association problems? If you look at the properties of the file what does it
    say the file "opens with"?

    Have you ran an anti-virus scan? If you do not have anti-virus programme
    installed you can run a free scan from the internet. Try this link:

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "B" <bernhard_messerli@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Cannot access any data under 'my documents' any more.
    > Computer seems to have lost access to all relevant data.
    > The data is physically still there but I cannot access it
    > as folders have been replaced. I can also not search for
    > it and copy it. If it is not possible to fix the problem
    > and somehow reconnect the correct data to 'my documents',
    > is there a chance of at least saving the data that used to
    > be in these files? Is there a software which does what
    > windows explorer does?
    > Thanx

    Dont know what proceeded this incident, PS was running,
    connected to the internet; virus free (according to
    symantec automated scan previous day) ; assume therefore
    it is not a virus but rather a lost link or regedit entry
    that got lost somewhere. dont know how though... every
    time i use "search" to find any of the missing files,
    windows gives me an error message and shuts down the
    current task...hope this is useful info...

My Documents Microsoft Windows XP