CPU Upgrade Vectra 6/xxx Series 8 100MHz FSB - Jumper Sett..

Hi,

I have an old HP Vectra VL 6/400 Series 8 with 100MHz FSB.

This currently has an 400MHz Intel Pentium 2 with 512K L2 cache in SECC2
SLOT1 configuration.

I've looked on the motherboard and I can set jumpers for up to a 500MHz CPU.

I'd really like to replace the P2 400MHz CPU with a P3 600MHz (100MHz
FSB) 512K SECC2 - SLOT 1 stepping SL3JM chip.

Has anyone tried this?

What do I set the jumpers to?

If you want to know why, it's because I can get such a chip for peanuts!

Regards, Marcus
6 answers Last reply
More about upgrade vectra series 100mhz jumper sett

    Just remove the old P2 and install the P3. Pentium 3 CPUs are clock locked,
    which means you don't need to set jumpers for the clock multiplier.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 06 May 2004 14:57:20 +0100, Marcus Naraidoo
    <marcus.naraidoo@definitive.f9.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an old HP Vectra VL 6/400 Series 8 with 100MHz FSB.
    >
    >This currently has an 400MHz Intel Pentium 2 with 512K L2 cache in SECC2
    >SLOT1 configuration.
    >
    >I've looked on the motherboard and I can set jumpers for up to a 500MHz CPU.
    >
    >I'd really like to replace the P2 400MHz CPU with a P3 600MHz (100MHz
    >FSB) 512K SECC2 - SLOT 1 stepping SL3JM chip.
    >
    >Has anyone tried this?
    >
    >What do I set the jumpers to?
    >
    >If you want to know why, it's because I can get such a chip for peanuts!
    >
    >Regards, Marcus

    Thanks, Ben.

    I'll do that this weekend.

    Marcus

    Great!

    If I can upgrade to a P3 with 600MHz (100MHz FSB 512K L2 cache) SECC2 -
    SLOT1, can I do the following?

    Can I upgrade to a P3 with 850Mz (100MHz FSB but 256k L2 cache) SECC2 -
    SLOT1 instead?

    Regards, Marcus

    Probably not. Above 600MHz, the voltage required by a Slot 1 CPU drops from
    2.0v to something in the 1.6v to 1.7v range, unlikely to be supported by the
    motherboard... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 15:18:35 +0100, Marcus Naraidoo
    <marcus.naraidoo@definitive.f9.co.uk> wrote:

    >Great!
    >
    >If I can upgrade to a P3 with 600MHz (100MHz FSB 512K L2 cache) SECC2 -
    >SLOT1, can I do the following?
    >
    >Can I upgrade to a P3 with 850Mz (100MHz FSB but 256k L2 cache) SECC2 -
    >SLOT1 instead?
    >
    >Regards, Marcus

    OK,

    What are the potential adverse consequences if I try an 850MHz chip?

    Will I fry the computer? Will I cook the chip? Will I not get the
    performance I expect?

    I have checked and I have the very latest Vectra bios (version HN2.04).
    It supports 3 X 256MBytes of RAM and that works fine. Is there a chance
    that this will support the 850MHz CPU?

    Thanks again for your help.

    Marcus

    Marcus,

    If the motherboard supports the voltage required by the 850MHz CPU, no problem.

    If the motherboard does not support the voltage required by the 850MHz CPU,
    problem.

    Best case scenario is that the system simply will not boot. Worst case is that
    the computer will boot up, run for a while, after which the CPU willl overheat
    and burn itself out, possibly taking the board along with it.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 20:11:18 +0100, Marcus Naraidoo
    <marcus.naraidoo@definitive.f9.co.uk> wrote:

    >OK,
    >
    >What are the potential adverse consequences if I try an 850MHz chip?
    >
    >Will I fry the computer? Will I cook the chip? Will I not get the
    >performance I expect?
    >
    >I have checked and I have the very latest Vectra bios (version HN2.04).
    >It supports 3 X 256MBytes of RAM and that works fine. Is there a chance
    >that this will support the 850MHz CPU?
    >
    >Thanks again for your help.
    >
    >Marcus

Hewlett Packard CPUs Jumper Computers