Making XP child and porn proof?

August 1, 2004 8:01:01 AM

Right heres the deal. This XP OS is all new to me. What I want to do if theres away is make it to where the teenage boys are not able to download pron dialers and garbage as such If it can be done please explain in detail cause as I said ...the OS is all new and a bit confusing to me over how things really work.
Thanks
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:26:50 PM

Greetings --

WinXP contains no true parental controls, as such, but some tools
do exist to help.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Use the Internet Explorer 6 Content Advisor to Control Access
to Web Sites in Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310401

Protect Your PC

For some requirements, you may find it easier to invest in a
3rd-party solution, such as NetNanny or CyberPatrol.

You need to be aware, however, that *NO* technical or software
solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever adequately take the place
of live parental supervision.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"shucky" <shucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right heres the deal. This XP OS is all new to me. What I want to do
if theres away is make it to where the teenage boys are not able to
download pron dialers and garbage as such If it can be done please
explain in detail cause as I said ...the OS is all new and a bit
confusing to me over how things really work.
> Thanks
August 1, 2004 5:05:38 PM

"shucky" <shucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right heres the deal. This XP OS is all new to me. What I want to do if
theres away is make it to where the teenage boys are not able to download
pron dialers and garbage as such If it can be done please explain in detail
cause as I said ...the OS is all new and a bit confusing to me over how
things really work.
> Thanks

Nope, XP won't stop teenage boys from downloading anything.

Alias
August 1, 2004 5:34:48 PM

Greetings,

Try using Norton Internet Security:
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

It allows you to block porn sites and any unwated sites.

Thanks and best of luck!

--
Jose Francisco
http://www.xpez.tk

"shucky" <shucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right heres the deal. This XP OS is all new to me. What I want to do if
theres away is make it to where the teenage boys are not able to download
pron dialers and garbage as such If it can be done please explain in detail
cause as I said ...the OS is all new and a bit confusing to me over how
things really work.
> Thanks
August 1, 2004 5:34:49 PM

Try getting the parents of said "teenage boys" to take
responsibility for supervising the boys actions. That's
the best way.

Milt

Anonymous
August 1, 2004 5:59:07 PM

You know the wire, cord, or antenna that connects the computer to the
phone jack, network router, cable modem, wireless access point? Once
you find it, remove it - there, now teenage boys won't be able to
access/download questionable sites/software.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
"shucky" <shucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right heres the deal. This XP OS is all new to me. What I want to do
if theres away is make it to where the teenage boys are not able to
download pron dialers and garbage as such If it can be done please
explain in detail cause as I said ...the OS is all new and a bit
confusing to me over how things really work.
> Thanks
August 2, 2004 2:02:00 PM

Afraid not. Software that claims to have that capability can easily be
defeated by today's very computer literate kids.

The best thing you can do is to install antivirus and antispyware software,
keep them updated, and run them several times a week. Also install a popup
stopper.

In addition to that, locate the computer in a very public area of your home,
and NOT in the kids bedroom where mischief can occur.

Finally, advice your kids to NOT download those handy-dandy utilities that
purport to add great enhancements. Often they will also open up your system
to very undesirable websites. Your OS already has all the features you (and
your kids) need.

Good luck.

"shucky" <shucky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Right heres the deal. This XP OS is all new to me. What I want to do if
theres away is make it to where the teenage boys are not able to download
pron dialers and garbage as such If it can be done please explain in detail
cause as I said ...the OS is all new and a bit confusing to me over how
things really work.
> Thanks
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:05:54 PM

Is it only me who finds that last sentence something of a hoot?

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message

<snip>

> Finally, advice your kids to NOT download those handy-dandy utilities that
> purport to add great enhancements. Often they will also open up your
system
> to very undesirable websites. Your OS already has all the features you
(and
> your kids) need.

<snip>
!