Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 Installation? (Using Upgrade Disc)

Last response: in Windows 7
August 16, 2010 8:45:53 PM

I have several questions regarding my Windows 7 installation:

My previous system is Vista 32.

1). Would be advantageous to install Win 7 64 versus 32 bit?

2). I tried installing Win 7 64 on a clean hard drive, but I received an error, "invalid Key". I assume I have to have Vista installed in order to install my upgrade disc? If so, then I suppose I cannot do a clean install on my disc, unless I load Vista 32 - again, and then Win 7 64? Ridiculous!

When I upgraded from XP to Vista, if I remembered correctly, it accepted a clean disc install. And to do that, the new OS simply identified the previous copy and proceeded to install a clean copy / on hard disk.

3). This was my steps on the install - fresh formatted hard disk:
a. Booted from Win 7 64 disk
b. I choose 'custom install'
c. Install ran perfectly
d. Asked for Authentication Key - Error
e. Re-entered Authentication Key - Error
f. I am currently at the Authentication Key page until I figure on what to do. It looks like I will need to exit, or reboot and try again?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 9:55:44 PM

jefe323's link is a good place to go! Make sure to read through that article. But, to answer some of your other questions, since you are moving from Vista to Windows 7, an upgrade version is an acceptable version of Windows 7. However, since you are moving from 32-bit to 64-bit, you'll need to do a clean installation of Windows 7. If you'd like more clarification between 32-bit and 64-bit (when deciding if 64-bit is really right for your system), visit http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-...

If you do decide to go with a 32-bit installation, you'll be able to do an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 which will keep your files, programs, and settings intact.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 10:52:42 PM

The problem is that the upgrade key requires that you do the upgrade while running under a previous 64 bit os.

The solution is relatively simple.

Your first install gave you a valid 64 bit os for 30 days.
Put your upgrade dvd in and rerun the install, this time specifying upgrade.
This is a legitimate method to accomplish an upgrade from a 32 bit os to a 64 bit os.
m
l
August 17, 2010 8:56:16 AM

Hi, I have another question concerning the upgrade disk.
I just checked the Win 7 disk my son got for me and it's Win 7 Pro. The compatibility report from microsoft says that i can only upgrade to Win 7 home premium or Ultimate, but not Pro. My question is can i upgrade to Pro, and if not why not???? Regards, BD...
m
l
August 17, 2010 2:00:52 PM

I never heard of that before. I would just install it. I am sure you will be fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2010 2:25:12 PM

bluedragon said:
I just checked the Win 7 disk my son got for me and it's Win 7 Pro. The compatibility report from microsoft says that i can only upgrade to Win 7 home premium or Ultimate, but not Pro. My question is can i upgrade to Pro, and if not why not???? Regards, BD...

You are still doing essentially a clean install. Where you came from does not matter. Microsoft does not even have a way to check that.

If you have, or plan to get 4gb of ram or more, then you should install the 64 bit version. It will be needed to accell all 4gb or more.
the 64gb version also has some additional security features.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 17, 2010 7:45:05 PM

bluedragon said:

Why this is only Microsoft can answer, however there is a workaround using the upgrade media to clean install.

Go to Paul Thurrott's site for instructions.>>

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 12:46:51 AM

Sorry I missed it.
m
l
!