OC'ing a P4 with GA-8IGX

super_upper

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
Since the Gigabyte overclocking tool 'Easy Tune' won't work with my mobo, I tried to make changes in the BIOS (F5) to get my PC2700 to run at 333Mhz or higher. All I've accomplished so far is to create a 'bios checksum error' and had to clear CMOS to be able to boot. The box boots with the memory set to 266Mhz. Amy help from this forum would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Over all, I'm really disappointed with this box. It's the first Intel machine I've built, and my XP1700+ runs just as fast and more stable. The P4 runs hot too. The temp goes from an idle of 46C to 50C when a game loads, and goes into alarm at 60C in no time. I've tried 2 different heat sinks, different grease, and different fans. Anyone else having these probs?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the heat is on the high side of average, it's more consistant with Willy than Woody temps.

Now about the memory speed, what memory? Did you try running it at full speed at Cas3? How are you changing the memory speed, by changing the bus speed or the CPU:RAM bus ratios? The proper ratio would be 3:4 with the "400 bus" of 100MHz.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

super_upper

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
Thanks for your reply. SiSoft Sandra identifies the CPU as P4 Northwood, 2.0Ghz. I have had some progress with the heat probs. I am using a Speeze aluminum alloy heat sink with the fan control from the Thermaltake Dragon P478. The CPU idles at about 44C with the fan at 2400 rpm (VERY quiet!!) With the fan at 3500 rpm, the temps do not go any lower, but top out at about 55C and come down fast when graphics apps are halted.With the fan at 6500, it is just way too loud and doesn't cool any better.

As to the overclocking issue, I was adjusting the CPU host clock in BIOS to get the memory speed to change. When I got the host clock to 125, the memory then posted at 333Mhz. But then, probs including a missing Windows system file, and bios checksum error. The clock ratio seems to be locked, as it is not listed on the 'Frequency/Voltage Adjustment' part of BIOS, but is mentioned in the mobo manual. I read that pressing Alt-F1 would open up advanced BIOS options, but that doesn't seem to work. My memory is Samsung PC2700 orig, CAS 2. I can't see any way to set it to 3 in this BIOS.

I'm appreciating my AMD box more and more!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Suggestions? Well, first let me suggest that 2500MHz is a fairly good speed for the lower model Northwoods, and at the edge of what medium cooling can withstand. Let me also suggest that such clock speeds usually require about 1.65v. I'll go even further to say that Gigabyte does some weird lables in BIOS when it comes to memory speed, and someone should be along to help you out on that one.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TWC

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2001
Hey super, alot of gigabyte owners are not aware of the hidden bios menu. If your one of them, Get to the bios menu and then press, "ctrl + F1" this will open up some new menu options for setting your memory timings

"I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, that was it, I knew somebody would pipe in with the rest of the info.